It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mission Impossible 4 coming out Dec 16 looks interesting
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:33 am 

Mission Impossible 4 coming out Dec 16. They must expect big things since December is usually the bigger movies coming out.

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/1668- ... t-protocol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mission Impossible 4 coming out Dec 16 looks interesting
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:01 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I saw the trailer the other night when I went to a midnight showing of Transformers 3. It showed a lot more of Tom Cruise than I was expecting, considering what I heard about the movie being a changing of the guard from Cruise to Jeremy Renner.

A lot of movies are getting released right around that time. There are going to be a lot of kids/family movies out around then: The Muppets, Happy Feet 2, Arthur Christmas, Alvin & the Chipmunks 3. Steven Spielberg has 2 movies coming out then: Adventures of Tintin & War Horse. Matt Damon and George Clooney each have a movie coming out. The Sherlock Holmes sequel comes out then. The sequel to that dumb romantic movie Valentine Day comes out (it's called New Year's Eve). Not to mention Twilight 4 will be out then. And of course the biggest movie of the group: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo will also be released around then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_in_fi ... 93December

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:24 pm 

Pudge wrote:
I saw the trailer the other night when I went to a midnight showing of Transformers 3. It showed a lot more of Tom Cruise than I was expecting, considering what I heard about the movie being a changing of the guard from Cruise to Jeremy Renner.

A lot of movies are getting released right around that time. There are going to be a lot of kids/family movies out around then: The Muppets, Happy Feet 2, Arthur Christmas, Alvin & the Chipmunks 3. Steven Spielberg has 2 movies coming out then: Adventures of Tintin & War Horse. Matt Damon and George Clooney each have a movie coming out. The Sherlock Holmes sequel comes out then. The sequel to that dumb romantic movie Valentine Day comes out (it's called New Year's Eve). Not to mention Twilight 4 will be out then. And of course the biggest movie of the group: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo will also be released around then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_in_fi ... 93December

So whcih one of those movies will be the Avatar this year? Alvin & the Chipmunks? Adventures of Tintin & War Horse? :lol: No, seriously there are always movies coming out but the big box office hits usually happen in December.True life movies generally have a better chance of getting the Oscar but still I'd say one of Spielberg's movies, Damon or Clooney's movies might be the movie of the year. The first Sherlock Holmes movie was ok not great.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:12 pm 

I think of the non-family films, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo will be the biggest hit in the box office.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:00 am 

Yes that movie "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" looks good. I'll have to research it some more but right now I'd say that looks like a top movie.I doubt any are going to be great movies but you never know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:58 am 

Oh, I suspect we'll have some surprises with some good movies. We know that the fall/winter is when most of the Oscar-worthy movies get released. So I think we'll be talking about at least 1 of these films come February when the Academy Awards come out.

The original Swedish Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was a really solid movie. And this one is being directed by David Fincher (The Social Network) so I have complete expectations it won't be inferior.

I enjoyed the first Sherlock Holmes, although I'm not sure whether or not I should have lowered expectations for the sequel. I guess I'll have to wait until the trailers come out in a few months.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:56 pm 

Good points Pudge. How was Transformers 3 since I haven't seen it yet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:18 pm 

I personally didn't think it was much better than Transformers 2, although it seems I might be in the minority opinion of that. I didn't find it anywhere near as funny as the first two. But the last hour of action is probably the best sequence in the trilogy. I saw it in 2D (generally despise seeing movies in 3D), but that final third of the movie is probably worth spending the extra money to see it in 3D and/or IMAX if possible.

I liked the first one mainly because I went into it with low expectations, and was pleasantly entertained. I didn't think the 2nd one was as terrible as most people said it was, although I'm completely aware it is an incredibly flawed movie. This one is alright, and while it improves on some aspects of the 2nd one (a bit of a more focused story), but there were a lot of little things that took me out of the movie and I didn't get as much enjoyment out of this one as the previous ones.

But if you liked the first two movies, then you'll probably enjoy this one. If you could take or leave both the first 2 movies, then you could probably do the same for this one as well.

My personal recommendation is that if you have a 3D IMAX theater and at least liked the first one a lot, then it's worth checking out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:43 pm 

I still haven't seen Transformers 3 yet. I liked the 1st movie, the 2nd wasn't good and I don't know about the 3rd. I'm not a fan of 3D since it costs to much and the effects are minimal. I'll probably see Transformers 3 tomorrow and friday the Bad Boss movie. Alot of people seem to like Transformers 3 so I'll check it out on the big screen. I did here the new blonde girl (supermodel) wasn't very good but what can you expect from that part. Still would be nice to have a good looking woman who can actually act a little instead of getting them from the supermodel assembly line with no acting experience.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:35 am 

I've heard others criticizing the new chick, and I'm like why? Considering she had zero acting experience and had very little to work with in terms of character/script, I thought she was competent. At least not any less competent than Megan Fox was in the first two.

I went into the movie with reservations about their relationship and whether the movie would successfully sell me on her and Shia being "authentic" and I bought it.

But again, I appear to be in the minority there...

It might have just been me, but when I saw Sucker Punch, I felt like I was watching a movie, rather than being involved in the movie. And with Transformers 3, it wasn't nearly as bad as in Sucker Punch, but I kind of felt the same way. I didn't have that with the first two. Maybe that's because the 3rd one is a lesser movie, or maybe because I went into this movie subconsciously a little more guarded than I realized because of some of the disappointment with the last one.

But at this point, it seems like a movie that when it comes on cable, I'll only flip it on if it's in the last 30-45 minutes of the movie. It's probably a movie I'll never again see from beginning to end the rest of my life.

Personally, as a kid that grew up loving the Transformers and thinking the 1986 animated film was the pinnacle of movie making for most of my life, I'm hoping that Spielberg & Co. hand the keys to this franchise over to someone else that is interesting in making a good story about transforming robots.
:fingersx:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:49 am 

Hmm, well I guess I'll be a little guarded when I see Transformers probably today. I really liked the first movie but the 2nd put a bad taste in my mouth. You never know look at the Batman series. Most if not all the movies bombed except Batman Returns the one with Heath Ledger. Sometimes a new perspective on things can change the whole scheme of a movie series.Yes the girl role in the Transformers 3 movie really doesn't require much acting being consistent with the other movies but why this girl? I think Michael Bay needs me in there to tell him which girls are going to get the richter scale moving. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:58 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
I think of the non-family films, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo will be the biggest hit in the box office.

Thats a ballsy statement. I assume you read the book and understand it's storyline of industry/family ties and the fledgling internet. I liked the
book personally, but I dont know how it will fare 'here'. Unless they completely destroy the female punk character and turn her into a stereotype
and recast the whole thing on Wall Street, alot of folks here are going to struggle to 'get it', especially with the content of the characters themselves.

If a brilliant and risk taking guy takes control, this could be a very good film. But my experience tells me it will do 'well' but wont be the biggest BO hit

SuckerPunch should have been titled 'Insur-erection'. That was a MOVIE not being involved with a MOVIE :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:12 pm 

No, I have not read the books, but I did see the Swedish films. And while not a great trilogy, I think the first one was a very interesting and film, that will have little issue being "Hollywoodized" and not losing anything.

I think David Fincher gets the source material. The fact that there was already a minor controversy over the film's poster (which revealed Rooney Mara's nipple) isn't going to hurt it.

I think they'll promote it as "from the director of the Social Network" and because of the book's popularity it will have a decent opening. I don't think it's going to come out with some record-breaking box office, but I do think it's going to be good adult fare at that point in the year when it is predominantly kid's movies around.

It opens on the Wednesday before Christmas, which I think is a very good time slot. I don't think Mission Impossible 4 is going to be huge, at least not in the summer blockbuster sort of way. I think it and Sherlock Holmes 2 will sort of cannibalize each other that previous week, leaving GWTDT (is that abbreviation allowed?) to rake in lots of money. I don't think Tintin is going to be huge that following weekend. It should do nice money, but so far the marketing of that movie doesn't look like it's going to draw huge numbers.

For whatever reason, the motion capture movies don't particularly do as well consistently in this country as the alternative live-action or animated fare. Christmas Carol, Beowulf, and Polar Express were all successful films, but besides the last one none could really be called a hit. And I don't think Spielberg is going to fare better than Robert Zemeckis has.

I think the fact that this year we're going to have an oversaturation of family films is only going to help movies like The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Profile E-mail