It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: USC, tOSU...next up...UNC or WVU
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1076972.html

Carolina will potentially get their letter on June 10th its being reported. You HAVE to take the article with a grain of salt b/c its insider carolina and they're delusional enough to still think the worlds not about to crash down on there s***ty program.

http://deadspin.com/5808874/west-virgin ... oachs-wife

Newest bag of worms from Morganhole, WV. Side bar I just heard, they are now selling beer at WVU home games. Thats equivalent to giving Iran 10 nuclear weapons, yet now you're actually handing them the detonator.

Post subject: Re: USC, tOSU...next up...UNC or WVU
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:22 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Love the WVU turmoil. Straight off primetime television. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah we can both be in that boat against the 'Eers! Now that they serve alcohol at the stadium, you can guarantee VT will never play there again. They already would spit on you and burn every sofa in morganhole previously, now what?

What they're doing with those two coaches at this point is beyond insane, and I guess they'll have to ride that crazy train all season. AD should get the ax, coach in waitings never worked and that duo seems pretty inept anyway.

````````````````````````````````````
I just came across this today on Colt McCoy and Texas. She might have just started an investigation at UT now. Has ANYONE won a legit NC in the last decade.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... s-boosters

Quote:
ESPN radio host Colin Cowherd spent a segment of his show today talking Jim Tressel, but got a surprising, unprompted phone call.

It was Colt McCoy's wife Rachel, who spent around six minutes on the air with Cowherd talking about how boosters and agents would try to contact McCoy, often with offers of things like a free meal or a hunting trip.

You can hear the full interview here.

Rachel McCoy, near the end of the interview, had this to say:

"Colt did not himself have as much interaction [with agents], I don't think. I know he was approached quite a bit, but you know how Colt is, he can just kind of brush it off and just kind of move on and not go down that road, but I saw so many of his teammates who just, they maybe didn't have some of that self-control just to be able to say no to somebody. I can't. That's not my personality, I don't want to hurt people's feelings."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:19 pm 

widetrak21 wrote:
Has ANYONE won a legit NC in the last decade.

Has anyone one a legit NC ever? I think not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
widetrak21 wrote:
Has ANYONE won a legit NC in the last decade.

Has anyone one a legit NC ever? I think not.

:x I suppose what a first seems crazy is now the norm. The ncaa has definitely brought a bigger hammer with them lately on U$C and O$U, so the next domino is what happens is chapel hole in the next month. If USC got slammed for ONE reggie bush, how UNC escapes 14+ players involved, a coach and agent, and a tutor, the coach and tutor being extremely close to Butchie....yet he still knows nothing :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: . They need to nuke that program for at least a decade :fingersx: .

Quote:
Butch Davis and John Blake go way back, all the way to Blake's days as a high school star at Sand Springs High in Oklahoma, where Davis was his defensive coordinator in the late '70s. They went on to win a Super Bowl together as assistant coaches with the Dallas Cowboys. When Davis was tapped to salvage North Carolina's sinking program in 2006, Blake was one of his first hires.

So it wasn't just a quick, professional cut when Carolina pushed Blake out last month, after it discovered multiple financial links between Blake and NFL agent Gary Wichard. And as Blake's role at the center of the scandal that threatens to bring Davis' program to its knees continues to expand in the press, it didn't seem like just another token line Monday morning when Davis apologized for ever hiring Blake and repudiated his role in the program. From The News & Observer:

Davis who has not spoken extensively about Blake since the agent-related NCAA investigation began in mid-July, apologized for Blake's role in the on-going turmoil at UNC.

"Let me tell you, here's how I feel: I am very sorry that all of this stuff has tainted the football program," Davis said. "And as the head football coach, I take a tremendous amount of responsibility for all of the football-related issues. I'm the head guy.

Davis continued:

"I'm sorry that it has affected the football program. But I'm going to tell you what I'm more sorry about, I'm sorry that I trusted John Blake."

Ouch. Davis wasn't about to turn that into a confirmation that Blake was guilty of what he's informally accused of – specifically, accepting money to act as a "runner" who steers players towards a certain agent. He shrewdly maintained that he nor anyone else at UNC had any idea what was going on. You know, if anything was going on: "If we would've ever known that if any of these allegations were absolutely true, coach Blake would have been dismissed [sooner]," Davis said. "I would have fired him." When the university did fire him, according to athletic director Dick Baddour, it was as much for appearances' sake as anything Blake may (or may not) have actually done.

For now, that's only an admission that Blake cost the program some credibility and helped get it in hot water with the NCAA, even if it turns out (improbably) that he didn't commit any violations in the end. But Davis didn't exactly sound like a man who expects to be exonerated when the proverbial facts come out

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:16 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Being reported that Stewart is potentially out at WVU fwiw. :lol: Somebody must have read our discussion this week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well it only took 10+ months, but the media finally got access to the info they wanted regarding parking ticket records and phone records. UNC acts like they handed them over voluntarilly today when the court said they had to today also. What a coinscidence! The media is trying to tie parking tickets to vehicles, aiken to what happened in Columbus. Then they're tying Blake to Wichard with the phone records, they had almost 400 calls in 2009 to each other, another 200 in 2010, then NONE when all the stuff hit the fan.

Every time I think I've heard all the dirt, these guys sling some more new dirt. I guess if you literally just keep creating so many violations, the ncaa is stuck investigating for perpituity.

~~~~~~~~~~~

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/un ... ng-tickets

UNC football players received 395 parking tickets

Submitted by rpickeral on 06/16/2011 - 10:34

Media organizations this morning began receiving hundreds of pages of phone records and parking tickets from UNC-Chapel Hill in the wake of an NCAA investigation of the UNC football program.

A review of records indicates that players owe hundreds in unpaid parking tickets, some dating to 2009.

One account owes $740. Another owes $700, according to UNC parking records. The players have not immediately been identified.

The university's decision on Wednesday to release the records came on the same day that the state Court of Appeals denied UNC's request to delay the release of those records as it appealed an April 19 Wake Superior Court ruling in the media organizations' favor by Judge Howard Manning.

N&O reporters are studying the records, which were requested for 11 players in August, 2010, as questions first surfaced about problems within the football program. At least two other players were subsequently added to the requests.

So far, the records and other documents obtained by the N&O show:

* 395 parking citations from 3/07 to 8/10 to as many as 11 football players.

* Fines of $13,185.

* Unpaid fines totalling at least $2,035.

* Tickets issued to a total of 28 different license tags.

* There were at least 42 citations issued to vehicles tied to Marvin Austin, the former defensive star whose actions first drew attention from the NCAA last year, resulting in the ongoing probes.

* There were at least 22 citations issued to a vehicle driven by Greg Little, a former wide receiver who was in the midst of the NCAA probes at UNC over the past year.

* There were at least 10 citations issued to a vehicle driven by Bruce Carter, a linebacker.

UNC did not release the names of players; did not release the citations themselves; and did not release the disposition of the tickets.

The N&O has used other records to establish vehicles driven by Little and Carter.

UNC says it has provided all of the data fields that exist for each citation, but that the only physical record of each one is the ticket issued on the windshield.

UNC also says that not all of the 11 players for which information was requested about in August 2010 had received tickets. But the university did not elaborate or provide other information about how many were involved.

"Each car receiving a ticket was registered either to the student, a parent or
grandparent, or a fellow student," a spokeswoman wrote.

The 11 players requested by in Aug. 2010 were: Little, Carter, Charles Brown, Kendric Burney, Ryan Houston, Dwight Jones, Donte Paige-Moss, Robert Quinn, Kevin Reddick, Johnny White, Deunta Williams.

The N&O and The Charlotte Observer, both McClatchy newspapers, joined in a lawsuit last year with the DTH Media Corp., which publishes the UNC-CH student newspaper, The Daily Tar Heel; News 14 Carolina, a cable TV station operated by Time Warner Entertainment-Advance/Newhouse Partnership; WTVD Television; Capitol Broadcasting, which owns WRAL-TV; The Associated Press; and Media General Operations.

UNC-CH Chancellor Holden Thorp, athletics director Dick Baddour, football coach Butch Davis and Jeff McCracken, head of the UNC-CH public safety department, were named as defendants in the suit, which sought all documents relating to investigations into the UNC football program.

The NCAA began investigating the program last June in an inquiry that initially focused on improper benefits that agents delivered to Tar Heels football players. The investigation eventually expanded to include possible academic violations involving a tutor.

J. Andrew Curliss contributed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- Bolded below, I don't know how in the world Butch Davis acts like he didn't know now. He's busted, pretty wide open at this point...no wonder they didn't want the records to go public.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/06/17/ ... alked.html

BY J.P. GIGLIO - Staff Writer

Former University of North Carolina assistant coach John Blake was in communication with UNC football players Marvin Austin and Cam Thomas during their trip to a training facility in California before the 2009 season.

Cellphone records obtained following a court ruling in a lawsuit filed against the university by The News & Observer, The Charlotte Observer and other news organizations, also show that Blake, head coach Butch Davis' top recruiter for three and a half years, used a university-paid number to contact (phone calls or texts) numbers associated with NFL agent Gary Wichard and Davis during the players' visit.

In addition, the phone records show that Blake contacted numbers linked to Austin and Wichard during the NCAA investigators' initial visit to campus last July.

Although it is unclear whether Blake knew the players were training in California with former UNC teammate Kentwan Balmer, the phone records indicate that Blake and Austin were in contact while Austin was there. Had Blake or anyone else at UNC learned the players were with Balmer in California, it would have been necessary to have North Carolina's compliance office investigate whether the trip was permissible before the 2009 season.

The records indicate Blake, who resigned one game into the 2010 season amid the NCAA investigation into whether players accepted improper benefits, visited the same California city where Wichard's agency, Pro Tect Management, was located, as well as the site of the training facility, before the players made the trip.

A busy caller

According to the phone records, Blake made calls or texts from Westlake Village, Calif.; Thousand Oaks, Calif.; Los Angeles and more than 20 other California cities between June 28 and July 11 in 2009.

Thomas and Austin have said they went to the Proactive Sports Performance in Westlake Village, Calif. - where dozens of Wichard's clients have trained - before the start of UNC's training camp in August 2009.

A hotel receipt obtained by Yahoo! Sports, which financially links Austin to Wichard's agency, shows the dates of the players' stay in California as July 23 to Aug. 1.

Between July 20 and Aug. 3, Blake's phone records show that there were 20 calls or texts to Wichard's cellphone, 10 to Austin's and eight to Thomas'.

Blake was also in contact with Davis twice on July 28.

Austin said in a March 2011 interview that no one at UNC knew about the trip to California. The trip came under scrutiny during the NCAA investigation into whether players received preferential treatment, benefits or services.

"They had no reason to know," Austin said of the trip at UNC's pro day before the NFL draft on March 31. "I didn't think I had to call the university and say, 'Well, I'm going to California to go train.'"

Blake, Thomas, Austin, Davis and UNC athletic director Dick Baddour did not return phone calls seeking comment.

Both Thomas and Austin played in all 13 games in 2009. Thomas, a fifth-round pick of the San Diego Chargers, completed his rookie season in the NFL in 2010.

Austin was dismissed from the team for the 2010 season for receiving benefits that Baddour estimated at between $10,000 and $13,000. Seven UNC players missed the entire season, and 14 missed at least one game as a result of the NCAA investigation into improper benefits and academic misconduct.

When the NCAA first sent investigators to campus on July 12 for interviews with players, Blake's phone communication with Wichard and Austin increased.

There was an 8-minute call to Wichard's cell on July 10 and a 31-minute call with Austin's number on July 12. The call to Austin was followed by four calls with Wichard's cell, the last of which ended at 12:02 a.m.

Twelve hours later, Blake received a call from Davis' cell, which was proceeded by a 13-minute call to Austin's phone.

Blake and Wichard had four more calls in July and one on Aug. 12, which was the last call from Blake's cell to Wichard's on the records.

Wichard, who was eventually suspended by the NFL, died in March. Austin was drafted by the New York Giants in April.

UNC received a notice of inquiry from the NCAA on June 7 but is still awaiting a ruling from the NCAA for possible punishments in connection with the investigation.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/06/17/ ... z1PYd5RvkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2011/ ... r-1127623/

Quote:
In a release, the school said its athletes are not given special treatment for parking tickets or paying the fines.

"The student-athletes are expected to pay their parking fines, just like any other student, faculty, staff member or visitor," the release said. "If a student accrues too many unpaid tickets, the university puts them on a payment plan. If they don't meet the payment plan, the university puts a 'hold' on his or her account and the student cannot register for class."

An athletics department spokesman said none of UNC's players was ineligible at the start of practice last August for not paying parking fines.

School officials also said that in fiscal 2010, UNC parking services issued 47,092 tickets. A total of 1,273 were voided. The total value of the fines, including those that were voided, was about $1.6 million.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:35 pm 

It's funny. I live 10 minutes from UNC's campus, and you are way more plugged into this than I am. Although part of that is probably because I don't care. My level on the apathy meter is like a 12 when it comes to all things Tar Heels.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:42 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The ONLY reason I care is simple, they've started getting recruits that VT wants and should for most purposes be securing as commits. I follow high school recruiting as much as the draft, if not more so. They got 2 kids last year that were self stated VT fans growing up that lived in VA. One lil visit to UNC, DURING an ncaa investigation......and they not only want to go there, but don't even give VT the time of day beyond that point. It simply doesn't add up, in any way, shape or form. It sure isn't on field results.

The reason you're not hearing about it is there in Carolina to my knowledge, is UNC has a choke hold on the media. Its why it took 10 months to get the records. UNC is basically so starved for a quality football product that they've tricked themselves into thinking nothing has been done wrong. Plus the AD Braddour and Davis have chosen the fork in the road to lie, you have to ride that sucker our Tressel style now. NCSt is the redheaded stepchild in that area. But boy has this been there surprise xmas present the last year.

VT has always been more steak than sizzle. More actual product than hype. I get that you can sway a few star gazed kids with the cheating oriented stuff, but considering UNC's actual on field product, it doesn't pass the laugh test. Let alone you start getting into the following...which could make U$C and O$hitU look like blips on the cheating radar...

- Asst Head Coach John Blake funneling players to Agent Gary Wichard
- Said players illegally working out with K.Balmer in Cali (whose agent was Wichard)
- Said players receiving money from the relationships
- Said players receiving trips from the relationships also
- Marvin Austin and Little tweeting the proof
- 10+ players sat voluntarily by the school, and many more missing at least one game
- No school sits NFL calibur players unless they indeed were doing illegal things (so you don't vacate the whopping 6-8 wins they struggle to get annually)
- Butch Davis' best friend was John Blake, whose office was 2 doors down, and has known for 30+ years........yet he knows nothing (how colonial klink of him) about anything
- Butch Davis' house nanny was the same tutor who helped most of the players academically cheat
- Then the same damn violation for a trip by going to the draft this year (thats aiken to being on probabtion for stealing, then you literally go steal something else)
- Parking tickets being waived for the players, when ALL ncaa schools mandate that you cannot continue enrollment/classes without paying them off
- Several of said vehicles in ticket fiasco having multiple license plate changes, yet tied to one VIN#
- Phone records now tying all parties together
- Yet Butch Davis NEVER used his UNC cell phone (and I mean 1 minutes worth) for the above talks w/ Blake, etc., YET still using the Cleveland BROWNS phone instead??

These assholes have went full tilt cheat mode, figuring they were always one step ahead of. Whats even crazier is in all that cheating and nfl talent placing, THEY STILL completely suck as a team. Nice!! Sold they're collective souls for THAT product. Nice!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:09 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Latest rumor I heard today...

Oregon paid a "recruiting service" $25,000 for a "list" of recruit prospects. Not necessarilly crazy other than the price for a simple list, albeit it probably crafted with certain things in mind. I believe when they actually checked the names on the list, it was totally outdated (ie. paid for a 2010 list, filled with old 2009 kids). Well then the question become what did you pay $25k for?? Rumor is to funnel recuits to Oregon.

:pray: Everybody say a prayer this summer for college football. It needs it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

----> Yesterday UNCheat finally got there NCAA violations letter. 9 MAJOR violations, which makes U$C and O$U seem like law abiding citizens...

Quote:
Tressel made one huge mistake and it cost him his career. USC had one star player go rogue and it cost the school 30 scholarships. North Carolina is accused of nine major violations involving at least 14 different adults and roughly half its starting lineup, and yet its case may wind up causing the smallest ripple of the three.

Clearly, Davis' work is not done. His program has yet to achieve the level of notoriety needed to truly anger people with its indiscretions.

BY LUKE DECOCK - Staff Writer

The Notice of Allegations the NCAA delivered to the University of North Carolina alleges nine violations were committed by the football program, including former associate head coach John Blake acting on behalf of an agent and the school's failure to adequately monitor the football program in addition to impermissible benefits and academic misconduct.

North Carolina has 90 days to respond to the NCAA's notice. After the school's response, the NCAA's Committee on Infractions will rule on whether violations occurred and determine any sanctions, with the university asked to appear at the committee's Oct. 28 meeting in Indianapolis.

Before releasing the document, the university redacted a large number of names, including all of the players involved, from the NCAA's original letter.

Among the new information included in the letter was the revelation that administrators within the football program may have been aware of potential impermissible benefits accepted by a player but failed to investigate.

The alleged violations are as follows:

1. A tutor whose name was redacted by the university provided impermissible academic help to two players, one who played in 2008 and 2009 and one who played in 2009 and 2010. Both players' names were redacted by the university. The impermissible help included writing portions of papers and conducting research.

2. Former tutor Jennifer Wiley provided impermissible benefits including a $150 airline ticket and paying $1,789 in parking fines, as well as impermissible academic help to nine players after she was no longer associated with the university.

3. Wiley knowingly broke NCAA rules and refused to cooperate with the NCAA investigation.

4. Seven football players accepted more than $27,000 in impermissible benefits during 2009 and 2010. All the players' names were redacted by the university, but they are known to include Marvin Austin, Greg Little and Robert Quinn, who were either declared permanently ineligible by the NCAA or, in the case of Austin, dismissed from school by the university.

The individuals who provided the benefits include agents Gary Wichard, Todd Stewart and Michael Katz; former UNC football players Kentwan Balmer, Hakeem Nicks, Omar Brown and Mahlon Carey; former UNC football player Chris Hawkins, who is considered an agent by the NCAA; and Florida jeweler A.J. Mosciato and "Willie (last name unknown)."

5. A player provided "false and misleading information" to NCAA investigators. The player's name was redacted by the university.

6. Blake acted on behalf of Wichard, who died earlier this year, steering players to him for representation - serving as what is known colloquially as a "runner" for his agency, Pro Tect Management. "Specifically, Blake was employed and compensated by Pro Tect Management to influence football student-athletes to hire Wichard to represent them," the letter states.

7. Blake failed to disclose financial information to the NCAA regarding his relationship with Wichard and Pro Tect Management, specifically $31,000 in payments from Pro Tect from May 2007 to October 2009.

8. Blake provided "false and misleading information" to NCAA investigators. This includes his denial that he ever worked for Pro Tect Management despite the existence of a sales brochure touting his involvement and, according to the letter, the presence of Pro Tect on his credit report as a former employer.

9. The university failed to adequately monitor the football program, with violations in three areas.

First, the school failed to properly monitor Hawkins after allowing him to use university facilities and be in close contact with players, leading to $889 of the impermissible violations in the fourth alleged violation, and failed to provide adequate guidance to football players regarding their interactions with him.

Second, the school failed to monitor "social networking activity that visibly illustrated potential amateurism violations," specifically relating to four of the players who received impermissible benefits. This refers to Twitter posts by UNC football players.

Third, during 2009 and 2010 the school failed to investigate potential impermissible benefits after receiving information from a player. "The institution did not adequately follow up on information indicating a risk of improper benefits being provided when reported by (the student-athlete) to administrators within the football program." The players' name was redacted and the phrase "(the student-athlete)" inserted by the university.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/06/22/ ... z1Q1kWHqOs

Stop making this face....you finally got caught.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

SI's Stewart Mandel's take...nice perspective.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1Q0EXT6IJ

If you're an NCAA rules junkie, reading the Notice of Allegations handed down on North Carolina's football program Tuesday must be like unwrapping the latest iPhone.

It's got everything.

Academic fraud? There's an app for that. Extra benefits? More different types from more different people than you could possibly fit on one screen. Agents? Oh, so many agents -- both real and wannabes. And then there's John Blake, the assistant coach who was secretly working for a sports agent while employed by the university. He might get his own page in the next NCAA manual.

For all the tawdry scandals that have tarnished college football over the past 12 months -- from USC to Tennessee, from Cam Newton to Jim Tressel -- one can easily argue that the nine major violations levied against Butch Davis' program Tuesday contain more filth and more blatant disregard for the rule book than any of them.

And yet, one gets the sense that after nearly a year of buildup, North Carolina's case may wind up causing less indignation than any of them. Fans don't generally get worked up over perennial 8-5 programs. It would probably take the death penalty for fans outside Tobacco Road to truly take notice, and at least two notable omissions from Tuesday's report assure that's not going to happen.

Unlike disgraced Ohio State coach Tressel, currently unemployed and unhireable for failing to disclose knowledge of violations by his players, Davis' name does not appear anywhere in the NCAA's 42-page report. He remains gainfully employed for now. And unlike USC (or Boise State, for that matter), North Carolina escaped the dreaded Lack of Institutional Control charge that usually elicits the Committee on Infractions' harshest penalties, settling instead for the just-below-that Failure to Monitor.

So to all you coaches out there: If your program is found guilty of every variety of NCAA violation imaginable, just be sure no one e-mails you about it. And the lesson for schools: Check your players' Twitter accounts. Seriously. That's one of the three things UNC is cited for failing to monitor.

Otherwise, investigators apparently felt the school did the best possible job it could in monitoring its rogue defensive line coach/agent runner; its tutors who not only wrote papers' players but helped pay their parking tickets; and 10 of the 11 individuals (most of them agents, financial advisers or former players) who provided more than $27,000 in benefits to stars like Marvin Austin.

Read the report and you'll find this nearly impossible to fathom.

In defending its much-criticized enforcement system, NCAA officials constantly remind us that "every case is different," much to the frustration of the common fan whose instinctual reaction to news like this is to immediately compare and contrast. Are North Carolina's infractions more or less egregious than Ohio State's? Will the Tar Heels suffer stiffer or less severe sanctions than USC? It's an impossible thing to quantify, and Tuesday's surprising lack of lack-of-institutional-control twist makes it tougher to predict the final outcome. We can only guess that the penalties will still be stiff.

Last month, many of us who cover college sports year-round attended the NCAA's first-ever Enforcement Experience and got to watch part of a mock Committee on Infractions hearing. While the case (involving, coincidentally, academic fraud) was fake, the two former Committee members grilling the participants were real. We got a pretty good window into the types of violations that get their blood boiling. They'd be foaming at the mouth over some of the allegations in UNC's report.

The Committee generally does not take kindly to academic fraud. In this case, a former tutor in the school's academic support center, Jennifer Wiley, allegedly tutored players for free after leaving her job, bought one of them an airline ticket and paid $1,789 for their parking tickets. Wiley is also accused of writing papers for two players, rendering them ineligible for the 2008, '09 or '10 seasons.

And ask USC how the Committee feels about agents (or wannabe agents like former Tar Heel Chris Hawkins, whom the school is faulted for providing access to its players). As was reported in bits and pieces last summer, the Chapel Hill campus was apparently crawling with cash-wielding runners for agents, while at the same time, players like Austin were getting flown to a training facility in California used by the late agent Gary Wichard's company Pro Tect Management -- the same company that wired $31,000 over two years to defensive line coach Blake.

Remember the infamous Paul Dee line about Reggie Bush and O.J. Mayo: "High-profile players demand high-profile enforcement?" What of high-profile assistant coaches?

Blake's nefarious role in all this (which includes his own unethical conduct charge for withholding information from investigators) is the biggest source of mystery as to how his boss, Davis, managed to avoid the NCAA's wrath. In a document outlining its Principles of Institutional Control, one of the acts the Committee cites as "likely to demonstrate lack of institutional control" is if "A head coach ... fails to monitor the activities of assistant coaches regarding compliance." But it then follows that up with: " ... the head coach cannot be charged with the secretive activities of an assistant bent on violating NCAA rules." Apparently the school did a bang-up job portraying Blake as just such a character, absolving Davis and the school for failing to uncover his secret employer.

Because of that, North Carolina may have staved off the most severe imaginable penalties, but you have to imagine they're still going to be pretty rough. Maybe it's a one-year postseason ban instead of two. Maybe it's 10 docked scholarships instead of 20. Either way, three years' worth of wins are about to be vacated.

The biggest question: Will Davis keep his job? That one will be entirely up to the school.

North Carolina brought in the former Miami savior and Cleveland Browns head coach to elevate the Tar Heels into a national contender. True to form, he (with help from Blake) reeled in and developed a bevy of NFL-caliber players unlike any the program had seen, which then completely backfired. Four years later, he's got one Music City Bowl win and nine alleged major violations to his name.

And yet, both school officials and fans remain highly supportive of him. If he's the guy they want to keep leading them in the future, there's nothing in Tuesday's document that would prevent them from doing so.

"I feel terrible that these allegations occurred under my watch," Davis said in a statement Tuesday night. " ... The responsibility for correcting any problems that put us in this position is mine, and I take that responsibility very seriously. ... I will continue to focus on improving every aspect of our football program."

That task could get a whole lot harder once the Committee gets done nuking his program sometime after its October hearing, and perhaps by then the school will be shamed into making a change. As of today, however, the official stance, as articulated by Chancellor Holden Thorp, is: "We made mistakes, and we have to face that."

Tressel made one huge mistake and it cost him his career. USC had one star player go rogue and it cost the school 30 scholarships. North Carolina is accused of nine major violations involving at least 14 different adults and roughly half its starting lineup, and yet its case may wind up causing the smallest ripple of the three.

Clearly, Davis' work is not done. His program has yet to achieve the level of notoriety needed to truly anger people with its indiscretions.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1Q1lneTw6

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:17 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ty-coaches

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Sgt Schultz Dummies Up

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:26 pm 

widetrak21 wrote:
Sgt Schultz Dummies Up

Hey it worked for Ray Lewis. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XZDzOGFXts

Quote:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ty-coaches

It's a pipe dream, but I do like the notion of suspending coaches for major violations. Prevent Jim Tressel from holding any coaching or AD position at any NCAA institution for say...five years?

It won't end cheating (nothing ever does, as usual cheating just evolves), but it's a significant deterrent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
It won't end cheating (nothing ever does, as usual cheating just evolves), but it's a significant deterrent.

Well this is somewhat the worry if they don't can say a Davis, he just evolves from the fire as a harder piece of steel, a better cheater. They sure are cornering the market on the spectrum of violations, so its feasible he could write a cheater handbook of sorts. Either way he's still an awful coach.

I did read this week that its rumored unc would like to seperate themselves from him, but they're stuck together like glue now. Too far down the path to u-turn. Ie. We think Davis is deplorable = We knew the myriad of scandals were true this entire time OR We think he was literally too stupid to know anything = Yet theres no plausible explantions for almost every accusation (and the ncaa has a least 3-4 new ones (not included inthe 9) percolating in the hopper) and they get hammered. Either path they're hammered, so may as well pray for the hail mary as is.

I totally agree on suspending the coach if he liable in some manner. Could be a spectrum, level 1 violation = 2 year ban, level 2 = 5 and defcon level 3 = lifetime ban

Quote:
know how to gain a victory; you do not know how to use it

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... lly_070111

Excerpts below...Oregon in hot water...what I started as a tiny cheating thread...now won't end. I just hope between higher profile programs like O$U and Oregon didn't sandwhich out the hammer that should still fall on UNC. I tried to read the whole article but got tired half way down. This stuff is getting suuuuuuuuuper old.

Quote:
“I look back at it now and they paid for what they saw as my access and influence with recruits,” Lyles said. “The service I provided went beyond what a scouting service should … I made a mistake and I’m big enough of a man to admit I was wrong.”

Calls and text messages to Chip Kelly’s two cell phones were not returned.
Quote:
Eleven months passed – from March 2010 until February 2011 – before the Ducks requested a single written recruiting profile, Lyles said. And when that moment came, Lyles said the demand for the reports was sudden and emphatic, leading him to believe Oregon was “scrambling” to establish that he’d provided legitimate traditional scouting services because they were aware of a Yahoo! Sports investigation. Previously, Lyles said he had provided scouting reports verbally in frequent calls with Oregon coaches.

“They said they just needed anything,” Lyles said of the embarrassingly thin recruiting profiles that Oregon made public earlier this month. “They asked for last-minute [stuff]. So I gave them last-minute [stuff] … I gave them, like, old stuff that I still had on my computer because I never thought that stuff would see the light of day.”

A $25,000 fee apparently raised questions for the NCAA.

Quote:
Lyles’ ability to serve as more than a scout or tour guide became evident in December 2007 when he grew concerned about whether James would pass the math portion of the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills test (TAKS) – a requirement for graduation.

If James couldn’t pass, he’d be ineligible to receive a scholarship. At the time, James was considering TCU and Minnesota in addition to Oregon.

After a few days poring over documents from the Arkansas Department of Education, Lyles conceptualized a plan. He suggested to James and Tasha Galloway that James transfer for his final semester across the nearby state line to Texarkana (Ark.) Arkansas High School. The TAKS problem would thus be eliminated. Galloway handled the procedure. James transferred a few miles over the border and was eligible after signing with Oregon in February 2008.

“[Kelly] was basically like, ‘That was a great idea’ … you know, to make sure [James] got it done,” Lyles said.

Last season, James rushed for 1,731 yards, scored 24 touchdowns and finished third in voting for the Heisman Trophy. He was also named to the Pac-10 All-Academic team.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sport ... e-by-ncaa/

Georgia Tech has to forfeit its 2009 ACC Title, trophy, wins, etc. Lied to the ncaa and tried to cover up the investigation. BB seemed to be involed some too.

The REALLY good part of this is how the ncaa got more pissed in that they didn't cooperate and more than likely tried to coverup. Well thats all UNC has done on the cooperation level, I'm more optomistic now. NCAA is growing some fangs finally. :D

side note - one day last week the espn ticker had the following steller cfb headlines... :doh: :naughty:

- oregon starring down heavy sanctions
- unc still awaiting death penalty
- wvu gets sanctioned
- some more nonsense about ohio st

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

This weeks violator.....LSU....come on down for your sanctions. NCAA's fangs strangely enough continue to be exhibited. They must not have liked being the laughing stock of sports the last year or so.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... strictions

The NCAA accepted LSU's self-imposed reduction of two scholarships, as well as a 10 percent reduction in official visits and reductions in recruiting calls. The reduction in visits, which LSU already began during the 2010-11 academic year, also applies to 2011-12.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbs ... 8/30740403

AU investigation not over yet says NCAA.