Post subject: No Blank check coming from Vick
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:46 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

By Jeff Schultz | Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 12:26 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Jeff Schultz

THE TUESDAY COUNTDOWN

10: I understand completely the Falcons wanting to recoup $22 million in bonuses from Michael Vick. But they probably have a better chance of selling Vick jerseys for full retail than getting all of that back.

9: Going after the money is the right thing for the Falcons, primarily because it can create salary cap space. It’s right for the league because it sends a message to players who jump the rails in their personal life and mistakenly believe it won’t hurt them financially. Who knows, the Falcons might even be able to navigate the long and complex process of winning a judgment. But …

8: They only regain the cap space if they actually collect the money from Vick, not merely win a judgment. Those are two different animals. Just ask the Goldmans (and, no, I’m not comparing Vick to O.J. Simpson, so take your finger off the e-mail button). Vick isn’t about to say, “You’re right. Here’s my ATM card.”

7: We know Vick has made a lot of money but we don’t know how many assets he actually has, to what extent they’re shielded and how much money is actually buried in a hole between two palm trees on a remote island in Fiji. So good luck, Mr. Blank. This won’t be as easy as, “Cap space, aisle six.”

6: Even as a media member, I agree there should be certain rules of etiquette for press conferences. For example, there was the reporter who Monday dipped into the wrong bag of clichés when he asked Arthur Blank if he planned to “keep his players on a shorter leash.” Ugh.

5: Gotta admit. I’m so worn out by the perceived racial fallout of the Vick case that I actually liked seeing a picture in ajc.com of three white guys in Vick jerseys holding up a sign that read, “I will redeem myself.”

4: And now for something completely different: I’ve been collecting a few items from local sports teams for a benefit auction. The Braves last week were nice enough to send me two autographed balls. One by John Smoltz, the other by Bob Wickman. I do believe one has just become a chew toy.

3: It would be nice if at least one of the Falcons’ Virginia Tech products (Vick, DeAngelo Hall, Jimmy Williams) didn’t turn into a punch line. But Hall isn’t helping. Last night he had “I Own U 85” — a reference to Cincinnati receiver Chad Johnson — shaved into his hair. Johnson burned him for five catches for 83 yards and a touchdown in less than three quarters. Clearly, Johnson owned Hall — and I’m not talking about his scalp.

2: Yes, that was Hank Aaron, relaxed in a room full of reporters Monday at Blank’s foundation office, calmly answering all questions — fully realizing not even one would include the words “steroids” or “Bonds.”

1: Four days until college football Saturday. Oh, how I long for the relatively amusing crimes of the SEC.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:48 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I doubt that we ever draft another player from Va. Tech...time to move to another school. Time to go after strictly SEC players... :wink: :wink:

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:51 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Quote:
Time to go after strictly SEC players

all except those greedy LSU players... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:11 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Need more guys like Cecil the Diesel!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:15 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

This is totally off topic, but i love that ESPN commercial, where Shaq is dressed up as a cop and helps get the LSU mascot (Mike the Bengal tiger) down from the tree...classic. :lol:

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail