It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vick Speaks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

He sounded sincerely contrite to me. Knowing that he never was gifted with a "golden tounge" and seeing that his public statement was not scripted, I came along way toward forgiving him. Had the gut feeling that he was speaking from the heart, not because of the penalties awaiting, but because he now knows he screwed up.

Hope he comes out of all this standing on his feet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Vick Speaks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:20 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

John O wrote:
He sounded sincerely contrite to me. Knowing that he never was gifted with a "golden tounge" and seeing that his public statement was not scripted, I came along way toward forgiving him. Had the gut feeling that he was speaking from the heart, not because of the penalties awaiting, but because he now knows he screwed up.

Hope he comes out of all this standing on his feet.

Agreed John. I felt he was contrite and honest. I think he realizes the depth of what he has done and wants another chance to redeem himself. Two things i didn't like was the "I found Jesus" reference, which is almost a cliche when giving these types of press conferences, and he continues to speak in the third person at times, which isn't the way he should ask the kids for forgiveness. I wish him success in his uphill battle to get his life together. Football shouldn't even be an issue right now.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I disagree completely. I cannot count the number of these types of statements I have heard in my career both on and off the bench. He came across as "I am sorry because I got caught." After you hear a couple of hundred of these court type mea culpas the really genuine ones shine like a beacon.

Most people only hear a few of these types of apologies and fall for them. His lawyers did a really poor job preparing him for this. These statements should be a work of art (yes I am cynical - his lawyers rehearsed and wrote this for him) and hit all the hot buttons and have a tear built in. I gave his performance a "C." The masses may buy it, but no sale here.

I don't buy the "he is inarticulate" line either. If there is ANYTHING he should be articulate it is this. He is still minimizing and still denying.

I have a hard callous on these types of statements and this was just unimpressive. People will hear what they want to hear in that statement, but it really was pathetic.

As to the "found Jesus" that is truly a cliche. I just wish he had "found" a WR on a post pattern when he was playing more often.

W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:11 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'd tend to agree with Wease here. I had a feeling that the God thing would be part of the image rehab. I don't doubt that Mike is remorseful as hell but these public statements, sitting on Oprah's couch, etc., are just another part of our culture that is fake as a three dollar bill. But this is the sort of theater (of the absurd) that people seem to eat up with a spoon. Of course, he had to say something and if he were a better actor--like Ronald Reagan for example--he might have been able to garner even more sympathy. The truest statement he made was that he had spent his life being a football player and not a public speaker. It is what it is. we may now proceed to the next hackneyed step in the Rise and Fall of the Icon.....the Sequel! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:33 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

backnblack wrote:
I'd tend to agree with Wease here. I had a feeling that the God thing would be part of the image rehab. I don't doubt that Mike is remorseful as hell

Correct me if i am wrong, but Wease said he felt he wasn't remorseful. I stand by my thinking that he is remorseful. But like everything else there are degrees to it. As wease pointed out he was in no position NOT to be remorseful, and that is where the degree come in to question. It is no secret that he isn't a great speaker. Our expectations then shouldn't be on the same level as someone who can deliver a great speech. Vick is also a person who understands the power of the media. I'm sure he was playing to the camera to a certain degree, but i also sensed that he was wanting to let the public know that he needed to grow up, that what he did was stupid. Too little too late?????? Probably...but what can he really say???? "I killed dogs over a six year period and i won't do it again"???? He still has to be careful what he says and how he says it. I think his tone, and his body language were enough to tell me he has reached another level. This is a good start...take it for what it is.

As far as the God deal goes....it is no coincidence that God is Dog spelled backwards.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Vick Speaks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

BirdBrain wrote:
Agreed John. I felt he was contrite and honest. I think he realizes the depth of what he has done and wants another chance to redeem himself. Two things i didn't like was the "I found Jesus" reference, which is almost a cliche when giving these types of press conferences, and he continues to speak in the third person at times, which isn't the way he should ask the kids for forgiveness. I wish him success in his uphill battle to get his life together. Football shouldn't even be an issue right now.

Amen on the "third person" when speaking of the kids. How much better it would have been if he had spoken directly to them saying "Don't be like me". As for the Jesus reference, I'll give him that. I've been known to put a very big
Quote:
PLEASE
before that reference during times of extreme stress. He only used it once and didn't belabor it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

FalconWease wrote:
As to the "found Jesus" that is truly a cliche. I just wish he had "found" a WR on a post pattern when he was playing more often.

W

Yes, Yes, Yes to that last line. I still fault him for his "happy feet" and resulting poor passing accuracy for which he hasn't and won't apoligize.

I thought Vick was truly contrite in today's public statement. Its truly a judgement call and as you know and probably have experienced there are many experts at the "I'm sorry and I've found Jesus" plea that deserve acting awards. It's the nature of the beast. Don't think Vick today was one of those. Just my humble opinion.

Profile E-mail