PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:57 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/ajc/pdf/vickplea.pdf

Vick signs plea, doesn't admit to killing dogs

By BILL RANKIN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/24/07

Falcons quarterback Michael Vick has signed a plea agreement in which he admits to sponsoring a dogfighting operation and promoting a business enterprise involving gambling but did not admit personally to killing any dogs.

However, the summary of facts accompanying the plea agreement said Vick was aware four dogs were killed in 2002 and six to eight dogs were killed this past April as a result of the "collective efforts" of Vick and two of his co-defendants.

Vick and his three co-defendants and others were involved in dog fights at his property in Virginia and in other states, says the summary of facts accompanying the plea agreement. This began in 2001 and carried on through this past April.

In 2002, according to the agreement, Vick and his co-defendants — Tony Taylor, Quanis Phillips and Purnell Peace — "rolled" or "tested" Bad Newz Kennels dogs by putting them through fighting sessions to determine which ones were good fighters.

"Vick was aware that Phillips, Peace and Taylor killed a number of dogs that did not perform well in testing sessions around this time," the summary says. "Vick did not kill any dogs at this time."

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:31 pm 

I'm surprised that any mention of gambling is in there. I know it is clear that Vick did not receive any proceeds. But being the financial backer of the gambling could be seen as just as bad in the eyes of Goodell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:57 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

dirtybirdnw wrote:
I'm surprised that any mention of gambling is in there. I know it is clear that Vick did not receive any proceeds. But being the financial backer of the gambling could be seen as just as bad in the eyes of Goodell.

Yep...the Commish and the rest of the free world (other than the huggers) knows that semantics are semantics. The commish has enough to do as he pleases, and he probably will see it for what it is. Just another attempt by Vick to run an "end around" his charges. In my mind this pathetic attempt to get more favorable treatment by tweaking the plea agreement is just another example of his sickness. It won't fly in the NFL Offices.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:59 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

With all due respect, I guess Mr. Rankin didn't read far enough!

Around April, Vick, Peace and Phillips tested some dogs in fighting sessions at Vick's property in Virginia, the statement said. "Peace, Phillips and Vick agreed to the killing of approximately 6-8 dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions at 1915 Moonlight Road and all of those dogs were killed by various methods, including hanging and drowning.
"Vick agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts of Peace, Phillips and Vick," the summary said.

This was in April of this year...sounds like an admission of guilt and participation in the killing of dogs to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:13 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Go Falcons wrote:
With all due respect, I guess Mr. Rankin didn't read far enough!

Around April, Vick, Peace and Phillips tested some dogs in fighting sessions at Vick's property in Virginia, the statement said. "Peace, Phillips and Vick agreed to the killing of approximately 6-8 dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions at 1915 Moonlight Road and all of those dogs were killed by various methods, including hanging and drowning.
"Vick agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts of Peace, Phillips and Vick," the summary said.

This was in April of this year...sounds like an admission of guilt and participation in the killing of dogs to me.

Like I said, This is just semantics. Rankin said "personally" killed any dogs. I take that to mean by his own hand. But in a conspiracy situation....when you put a hit out on someone, you are just as guilty as if you pulled the trigger yourself.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail