It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vick gotten
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we set out to deceive."

Vick let himself, the team and fans down. It will be interesting to read the actual plea, to see exactly what he is admitting to. But regardless of what it is, the decisions he made have been unbelievably foolish.

Way to go, Ookie. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:43 pm 
Starter
Starter

I wouldn't get too down on Ookie. He's just a great athlete who got in over his head.

I'm no psychologist, but I wonder if some of the dog fighting stuff didn't come about because MV wanted to stay connected with his roots? It could also have been peer pressure on a guy who likes to look -poised but is reaaly insecure. Or...it could be that he is a sadistic dog-killing liar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:15 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'd bet my mortgage it was roots. Probably been around that stuff his whole life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:43 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Ahhhhhh...now the excuses begin. Vick got involved because it oiled his clock.....the same reason people get involved in anything that is illegal. The fact that his boys were also involved made it difficult to let go.Just as powerful as any drug, the operation grew and the compulsions became harder to ignore.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:59 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Excuses, reasons...whatever. Really, what difference does it make? Or were you talking about your sports watching addiction? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:05 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

backnblack wrote:
Excuses, reasons...whatever. Really, what difference does it make? Or were you talking about your sports watching addiction? :lol:

Well I did throw the remote at my wife one time in 1999. And when the Falcons are driving to the endzone she is forbidden to talk. And i do loosen her collar at halftime...but other than that we are cool.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:09 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Come clean, BB. You know you electrocuted your first wife, drowned your second, hanged your third and refused to let your kids wear the jersey of your fourth after the divorce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:42 am 
Superstar
Superstar

BirdBrain wrote:
Ahhhhhh...now the excuses begin. Vick got involved because it oiled his clock.....the same reason people get involved in anything that is illegal. The fact that his boys were also involved made it difficult to let go.Just as powerful as any drug, the operation grew and the compulsions became harder to ignore.

Nice post. Recall Vick studied pit bull breeding before he was drafted and built the kennel soon after. It was his hobby -his friends were just there to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:50 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

SteveH wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

Nice post. Recall Vick studied pit bull breeding before he was drafted and built the kennel soon after. It was his hobby -his friends were just there to help.

Not sure what your point is.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:41 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

1 dogfighting ring down, many more to go but this is definitely a positive step...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:35 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

vick "gotten" implies something was done to him. if anyone was gotten it was the falcons organization and the fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:36 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

buddyboy wrote:
vick "gotten" implies something was done to him. if anyone was gotten it was the falcons organization and the fans.

Guess you didn't or don't know the author of the post very well...lol

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:50 am 
Superstar
Superstar

BirdBrain wrote:
SteveH wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

That Vick did this to himself. He went way out of his way to start an illegal hobby and thought he was above the law. His friends didn't get him into it. They just did a lot of the necessary work when he wasn't available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:04 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

SteveH wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:
SteveH wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

That Vick did this to himself. He went way out of his way to start an illegal hobby and thought he was above the law. His friends didn't get him into it. They just did a lot of the necessary work when he wasn't available.

It is true that Vick did this to himself. However, until the public gets more info, we can't really say which came first the chicken or the egg. It really doesn't matter in the long run who started it, the damage has been done over a long period of time. During this time, Vick had varied levels of problems that should have told him to back off, cut out all illegal activity and play it cool. For the sake of his family, his team and himself. The fact that he continued to operate an illegal activity while under the growing suspicion of the NFL speaks volumes of just how depraved he really was at the time. Continuing to repeat a behavior over and over again while ignoring the consequences, including the loss of your career, your money and your freedom is the true definition of a sickness. A disorder that Vick felt he had some sort of immunity.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:09 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

BirdBrain wrote:
buddyboy wrote:

you know what? the original post seemed more a subconscious attempt at protecting vick while at the same time trying to express dissaproval of vick's behavior. i just figured he didn't even realize what he was doing. he's defended vick so ardently for so long, i guess it's hard to stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:20 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

buddyboy wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:
buddyboy wrote:

you know what? the original post seemed more a subconscious attempt at protecting vick while at the same time trying to express dissaproval of vick's behavior. i just figured he didn't even realize what he was doing. he's defended vick so ardently for so long, i guess it's hard to stop.

Like Vick will have to do at some time, the author will have to be contrite and start trying to rebuild his credibility.This is a long , hard road considering how deep the inspection of Vick's large intestine was at the peak of the denial. I hope he does understand the depth of the enabling, but i doubt it will be a full turn around. I predict he will begin an anti-Harrington campaign just to offset his disappointment.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail