All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reeves on Vick: 'It hurts. . . I hate it'
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:31 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

By STEVE HUMMER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/20/07

Dan Reeves has been away from the Falcons for nearly four years, and the parting wasn't mutual. That doesn't mean he can't feel deeply for everyone touched by the impending Michael Vick dog fighting plea.

"All of a sudden all this happens to a guy you felt was almost a part of the family," the former Falcons coach said Monday, shortly after it was announced Vick planned to plead guilty to charges stemming from a federal dog fighting investigation. "It hurts. I hate it. I hate it for the organization. I hate if for the city."

Reeves coached the Falcons when they traded up with San Diego to make Vick the first overall pick in the 2001 NFL draft. From that moment, his future was tied directly to Vick's. In fact, Reeves was fired after a 2003 season that lay in ruins after Vick broke his leg during the preseason.

The coach considered himself close to Vick, and predicted soon upon his arrival that he one day would deliver a Super Bowl to Atlanta. When Reeves first heard about the dog fighting investigation earlier this year, his initial reaction was disbelief. Even now, all these months later, he has a difficult time coming to grips with the reality of Vick's plight.

"It really stung me (when the first word came out)," Reeves said. "And it hurts me now. I really care for the young man. He overcame a lot to get where he was.

"Everything he had, a lot of people would have given their right arm to have. And to see him throw it all away like this is unbelievable."

As many people have, Reeves said the portrait of Vick as a trafficker in dog fighting and animal cruelty does not jibe with the one he formed of him on a personal level.

"It just doesn't add up. Something's going on with him that I don't understand," Reeves said. "I still remember talking to (Vick's coach at Virginia Tech) Frank Beamer before the draft. He said there were players who after two or three minutes, you're ready for them to leave. But he said, 'I could talk to Mike all day.' And I felt the same way."

As for the future of his one-time star, Reeves couldn't predict. There were too many variables unresolved yet, including the length of his prison sentence and possible NFL suspension.

"I know he's still young (27). And I know people are forgiving," he said.

"Right now, Mike just needs to take it one day at a time."

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:44 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The architect of defeat,...Daniel Reeves.

Think we're not hurting anymore Danny BOY. We've moved on Danny BOY. Go away. People are forgiving? And ya'll,...the quiet ones are the ones to watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:58 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

PB21 wrote:

Think we're not hurting anymore Danny BOY. We've moved on Danny BOY. Go away. People are forgiving? And ya'll,...the quiet ones are the ones to watch.

I always liked Reeves. He sucked as a GM, but he was a very good head coach. He did have a hard time adjusting to the "new NFL", and was one of the last dinos. His love for Vick is also a very common thing. Many people loved Vick as a person. He was, despite everything that has happened, a nice personable guy. Too generous i think. However after his huge contract it appeared he changed for the worse. He became someone that due to the immense pressure created a reclusive lifestyle that became his downfall.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Reeves on Vick: 'It hurts. . . I hate it'
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:44 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

BirdBrain wrote:
By STEVE HUMMER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/20/07

He overcame a lot to get where he was.

"Everything he had, a lot of people would have given their right arm to have. And to see him throw it all away like this is unbelievable."

He not the only one that came out off the streets. I came from the South Bronx and most of the guys I hung with are dead. Violently. I know I'm lucky to have gotten out. When I left, I left them and all they were involved with behind and never looked back.

Vick should have done the same.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

PB21 wrote:

You are a very odd and bitter person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:06 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Ya know boy? You are such a dismal little troll.

You claim to be a lawyer, and you fit the title well. Judgemental,...arrogant,...condescending,...all those truly descriptive terms that apply to scaly bastards like you.

You are the poor bitter little bitch and you insulted me first a while back.

A person in your position would normally be the professional and correct the unknowing in a mannerly way. But you chose to chastise me over some technicality in which someone like me didn't know about because I'm not a scaly skinned reptile like you. You probably don't even recall how you insulted me because you do it daily to many others, you arrogant f***.

I'm done with you boy. BirdBrain was right about you,...you are an ambulance chaser and most probably a FRAUD.

Go away from me please,...I don't need idiots like you muddying my water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:02 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

PB21 wrote:
Ya know boy? You are such a dismal little troll.

You claim to be a lawyer, and you fit the title well. Judgemental,...arrogant,...condescending,...all those truly descriptive terms that apply to scaly bastards like you.

You are the poor bitter little bitch and you insulted me first a while back.

A person in your position would normally be the professional and correct the unknowing in a mannerly way. But you chose to chastise me over some technicality in which someone like me didn't know about because I'm not a scaly skinned reptile like you. You probably don't even recall how you insulted me because you do it daily to many others, you arrogant f**k.

I'm done with you boy. BirdBrain was right about you,...you are an ambulance chaser and most probably a FRAUD.

Go away from me please,...I don't need idiots like you muddying my water.

Whoa...there John-Boy....be VERY careful what you say. It isn't very manly of you to attribute some garbage like that to me when i didn't say it. Wease is a great guy and a VERY fair Judge of character, and you should listen to his pearls of wisdom. You have been on his butt from DAY 1.....step back and rethink your accusations and apologize. Throwing stuff like that around isn't cool at all.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:11 am 
Superstar
Superstar

<sigh> you are mistaken sir. I resemble nothing like John Boy and I take that as an insult.

This weasel suggested I grow up in a thread about Vick. He was arrogant and condescending and he garners none of my respect.

Professionals such as pharmacists, doctors never correct anyone that is ignorant of such matters. Lawyers should not as well, but this guy on a message board acting like some kind of expert,...and he's a JOKE! I've already my boys check things out and he's a joke.

No Bird crap,...he should apologize to me. He's supposedly the expert and someone that has an oath of some sort to adhere to.

A lawyer needing to post on a message board site is just,...laughable.

Last edited by PB21 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:13 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BirdBrain wrote:
PB21 wrote:

I always liked Reeves. He sucked as a GM, but he was a very good head coach. He did have a hard time adjusting to the "new NFL", and was one of the last dinos. His love for Vick is also a very common thing. Many people loved Vick as a person. He was, despite everything that has happened, a nice personable guy. Too generous i think. However after his huge contract it appeared he changed for the worse. He became someone that due to the immense pressure created a reclusive lifestyle that became his downfall.

I agree. And if he did not have to live with all the regret there may be some things about Mike's "new/old" life that he will prefer. I hope he can get along OK. No reason to ever wish ill on anyone. That goes for Wease! You guys play nice. What is this? The Roost? :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:21 am 
Superstar
Superstar

BNB,... you are good man.

Wease started this s*** by being condescending towards me. He suggested I needed to grow up before I knew anything about law.

He was right,...I know less than he does about law but to be so arrogant in saying such a thing is telling.

In my field, he would be a lost little puppy. :lol:

BNB,...you are right. This ain't the roost, thank GAWD!!!! That place is filled with Klan members.

Okay,...I'm sorry if I offended any lawyers here. Wait,...lemme think about this. Okay,...I'm sorry if I offended any lawyers other than the weasel here. That works. This guy needs a woman in a huge way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:24 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hey, you know I love the Roost. It was just a pot and kettle comment. We're all friends here...believe it or not!!! :D