It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vick's Lawyers Divided
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:21 am 

46 (WGCL) News Atlanta
http://www.cbs46.com/news/13896367/detail.html

ATLANTA -- Sources said Tuesday that Michael Vick’s defense team is divided over a possible plea deal for the Atlanta Falcons quarterback.

Those sources told CBS 46’s Gil Tyree Tuesday that one part of the defense team wants to cut a deal, while the other wants to take its chances with a trial.

Vick and others are accused of running an interstate dogfighting enterprise known as "Bad Newz Kennels" on Vick's property in rural Virginia.

If the Vick case does go to trial, sources said Tuesday that one of Vick's teammates, who is a prominent member of the team, could be called to testify. The sources say the Falcons know about this.

The Falcons did not comment on the case Tuesday night.

Owner Arthur Blank is vacationing at his summer home in Montana.

Report say federal prosecutors have given the Vick defense team until Friday to reach a plea deal or possibly face new charges stemming from the dogfighting investigation.

Previous Stories:

* August 14, 2007: Report: Michael Vick Considering Plea Deal
* August 14, 2007: Two Vick Co-Defendants To Enter Pleas
* August 13, 2007: NFL: Report On Vick Suspension False
* July 31, 2007: Michael Vick Indictment - Timeline Of Events
* July 30, 2007: Vick Speaks For First Time Since Indictment
* July 30, 2007: Co-Defendant Says Vick Bankrolled Dogfighting Ring
* July 30, 2007: NAACP: Be Fair To Vick
* July 28, 2007: Sponsors Continue To Fall For Vick
* July 27, 2007: Reebok, Nike Sack Vick
* July 27, 2007: Vick Supporters Protest At Flowery Branch
* July 26, 2007: Vick Pleads Not Guilty
* July 24, 2007: Blank: Facts, Not Emotions, Needed In Vick Case
* July 23, 2007: Vick Protesters March At Falcons Headquarters
* July 21, 2007: Animal Protests Held In Front Of Nike, NFL Over Vick
* July 20, 2007: Sen. Kerry Calls For Vick's Suspension
* July 19, 2007: Blank Issues Statement On Vick Indictment

Post subject: Re: Vick's Lawyers Divided
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
46 (WGCL) News Atlanta
http://www.cbs46.com/news/13896367/detail.html

If the Vick case does go to trial, sources said Tuesday that one of Vick's teammates, who is a prominent member of the team, could be called to testify. The sources say the Falcons know about this.

It might be all about names from here on out. Will Vick flip on somebody else or go to trial. My bet says the Feds will not let him plea bargain without giving somebody up.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:04 am 

If the allegations are true there is nobody for Vick to give up. Based on the allegations Vick is the ring leader and *horrible pun alert* top dog in the dog fighting world. The feds already have a plea bargain on the table and they won't pull it out. I don't think there is anyone for Vick to give up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:17 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

dirtybirdnw wrote:
If the allegations are true there is nobody for Vick to give up. Based on the allegations Vick is the ring leader and *horrible pun alert* top dog in the dog fighting world. The feds already have a plea bargain on the table and they won't pull it out. I don't think there is anyone for Vick to give up.

I don't think that is the case DB. Considering the dogfights were in various states, 5 at last count, there are many others involved. Not to mention the possible "goodfella" type characters who may have helped organize some of the peripherals such as gambling and even drugs. The Feds appear to be very interested in the interstate criminal activities associated with Vick's participation in the dog fighting.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Agreed on Vick!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:03 am 

Agreed on Vick BB that there are other ringleaders and that is what Vick has to offer. If he turns some of them in it will help in his possible sentence.I thin vick should take the plea bargain and not fight this. ESPN said that at most Vick could get up to 3 yrs. The plea bargain I believe they said was like 1 yr or less.

Vick has only himself to blame but I hope he has learned a hard lesson not to surround yourself with sketchy people.Alot of athletes want to hang around people they grew up with it seems and many come from bad backgrounds. I guess they want to feel comfortable around people who better than the ones you know. I hope the Vick lesson makes other athletes question who they hangout with. In a few months Vick has gone from poster boy to a bad taste in peoples mouths.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:22 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I sort of doubt Vick was involved in a lot of the inner workings of organizing the fights and so forth. I think he probably funded the whole thing and went to the fights and messed with the dogs some but probably not setting all that stuff up. Just speculation. Take the deal and be done with it. They are trumping up the charges. If he does more than six months to a year in a jail cell I would be surprised. And the fine is negligible compared to the millions this thing has already cost the guy. Besides, the story is getting old. Not enough sex. The public needs new fodder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:44 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

backnblack wrote:
I sort of doubt Vick was involved in a lot of the inner workings of organizing the fights and so forth. I think he probably funded the whole thing and went to the fights and messed with the dogs some but probably not setting all that stuff up. Just speculation. Take the deal and be done with it. They are trumping up the charges. If he does more than six months to a year in a jail cell I would be surprised. And the fine is negligible compared to the millions this thing has already cost the guy. Besides, the story is getting old. Not enough sex. The public needs new fodder.

It won't be over until you see the orange jumpsuit. Or the first jailhouse interview. Actually it will never be over. These types of stories don't need sex. They have that rubber necking at an accident quality to them that America loves. The fall from grace, back to a place that he worked so hard to avoid going to in the first place. But this isn't even the start. THE RETURN will be just as enticing......until the next problem.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:50 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ah yeah. The Comeback! Man, if I coughed up this hairball in Hollywood they'd say to lay off the powder. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:01 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I don't think he's going to get off all that light. I'd be shocked if he got less than a year to be honest...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:33 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Capologist wrote:
I don't think he's going to get off all that light. I'd be shocked if he got less than a year to be honest...

I agree. I've heard it said that state prosecutors negotiate pleas based on trial costs and prision time for the offenses charged. But the Feds only want to build on the case if possible and require all the information the defendent might have. IMHO, the delay is not base on prision time but on what he can tell them and protecting his career against gambling and racketeering charges.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:49 am 

The delay is almost 100% waiting for the NFL and the Falcons to respond to his lawyers about what a plea bargain will do to his career.

It is the deadline for the plea bargain +1:49. I wonder what they ended up doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:59 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

dirtybirdnw wrote:
The delay is almost 100% waiting for the NFL and the Falcons to respond to his lawyers about what a plea bargain will do to his career.

It is the deadline for the plea bargain +1:49. I wonder what they ended up doing.

DB, take it for what it is worth, but Goodell has already said that it doesn't matter what the plea arrangement is, the NFL will not barter with Vick or his lawyers.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:04 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think Vick's lawyers were/are worried that Goodell would make an example out of Vick, and give him more than a year's suspension. Considering Goodell's "progress" on this issue, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the league hand down a 2 year suspension: 1 year for gambling, 8 games for being indicted, and 8 games for lying to Goodell.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:25 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL goes the lifetime ban with reinstatement possibilities down the line to put vick and other teams on notice that coming back to play in the NFL is a privilege not a right. This of course depends on the gambling charges, as that is going to be the real kicker when this is all said and done.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
I think Vick's lawyers were/are worried that Goodell would make an example out of Vick, and give him more than a year's suspension. Considering Goodell's "progress" on this issue, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the league hand down a 2 year suspension: 1 year for gambling, 8 games for being indicted, and 8 games for lying to Goodell.

Add to that the fact he would have to apply for reinstatement. Goodell has said no to a few of those applications. Plus, would the suspension be served concurrent with any jail term or after?

Then you have the state charges that VA has today said they would present to a grand jury in September.

Bottom line, Goodell/NFL will act according to ALL the evidence the Feds/State(s) investigations will uncover. Gambling and association with gamblers is a Cardinal Sin (Offense). Dog fighting and bad press are lesser offenses. Don't look for an NFL decision or a reply to Vick's lawyers until all the evidence in.

Profile E-mail