It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Madden worth getting this year
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:45 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I haven't bought it in years since it never changes anyone pick up this years yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I read a review on yahoo's game page the other day, and the 360 version has some new innovations that make me want to pick it up, like the player roles that allow the superstars to do things regular players cannot. I don't even have a 360 yet, but I'm thinking about picking up both in the next day or two.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/xbox360/mad ... 8/reviews/

"But football is really all about the players, and that's clearly where EA puts its major focus in 08. New this season are weapon categories in which stars are broken up by their abilities, be it brick wall defenders like Ray Lewis or Smart QBs like Brady. These weapons will have access to special abilities too -- smart players can see an opponent's play art about once a game, while Spectacular Catch receivers can make amazing grabs no one else can. The goal here is to make NFL stars play like stars and to exploit matchups -- and in this, EA succeeded. It's a great touch, overall. "

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:38 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I would wait a tad to get a 360 they are starting to fit them with a new processor to deal with the over heating issues. My first one lasted 8 months before breaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

That's why I was waiting on one. Not to mention they just had a price cut, and increased the warranty period. I had heard they were already manufacturing the new ones, but I will check into that more closely before spending my $$.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:08 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm thinking about getting Madden. I wasn't a big fan of '07, but if '08 is as good an improvement as they say it is, then I'll get it. The thing with '07, was I got tired of playing it by October. Hopefully that won't be the case with this year's game.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I've played NCAA 08 on 360 and regular XBOX and was blown away with the 360 version. In superstar mode on 360, you play as the specific player only(reg XBOX you can control any player and run both offense and defense playcalling.) 360 also advances to your next appearance in the game and you are not automatically a starter ala reg xbox. You can improve your position on the depth chart in practice, though. If you are 4th string WR, you may only get 3 or 4 plays in a specific game, and it advances to your next appearance, rather than having to watch the game when you are not doing anything. I am hoping Madden follows suit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:13 pm 

Campus Legend is great in NCAA'08. I too have 360. The only problem is that the ending is rather lackluster.

The first time I played it, I was a 290-pound RB at Southern Miss, and won the Heisman, Maxwell Awards as a freshman, thus filling up my legend meter. And then after you've done that, it's like, okay, I won, what do I do now. And you really need Madden so you can export the draft classes.

I'm really excited about working the two games in tandem.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

It's pretty easy to do that as an offensive player. I like to make my guy a safety. You get to blitz, play the run, and cover, so it's a nice mixture. You couldn't do it on NCAA for reg XBOX, but on Madden, playing TE was fun for the same reasons, so it might be worth trying on 360 if it lets you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:37 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Well I still have a PS2 so it looks like there won't be much changes for me. I'll still get it to update the rosters and stuff, but I know it won't be as great as a 360. I just can't afford to buy a new system right now. Maybe one day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:46 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I know where you are coming from Starley. All of my funds have been going to my attorney, as I am trying to keep custody of my son. The case will be over before the month is out, we've had to do without a lot of things we normally would have, but at least we haven't had to take out loans. After this case is done, my first big splurge will be probably be Madden and a 360.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:31 am 

I opted for the Wii instead of one of the overpriced uber consoles. So far I've been happy with the Wii as it really does allow me to become more involved in the gaming experience. Something about button mashing just got old and tiresome.

On the Wii edition of Madden I'm averaging damn near 9 YPC with Dunn and if I opt to use Mike Vick I can probably average upwards of 15 to 20 YPC with him. The innovations with the Wii-mote and nun chuck just make ground game aspect unfair. I could probably go a whole game and never pass the ball and still pick up 200 yards on the ground and win by 21. But the the Wii version has been fairly easy to pick up. Somethings about the motion controls I don't like such as "ripping" as a defensive lineman where I have to snap the wii-mote right or left. At this junction that is simply too much for my brain to handle! I'm programmed after almost 10 years of Madden on the PS1, PS2 and XBOX to use the L and R triggers for most my juking and ripping functions. Having to snap around the nun chuck or wii-mote is completely messing with my head. But even with that I still managed to drop the Seaducks 38-14 on Pro level. I won't make the jump to all-pro or madden for awhile.

The only real disappointment's is that the graphics are barely a step up from the PS2 on the Wii. I've read that full HD is possible for the Wii but nothing has tapped that potential yet. I guess I need to go drop $80 on a set of component cables for the Wii to "upgrade" the graphics. I'm hearing that it is almost night and day going from 480i to 480p.

For folks that own a Wii the Madden 08 upgrade is worth it without question. For everyone else I suppose its a question of...

A.) Did you upgrade to the PS3 or 360? If so and you don't have 07 then the upgrade isn mandatory.

B.) You really, really, really want updated rosters. Anymore the only new improvements on Madde are the rosters. Everything else is just bonus crap like what you get on the DVD "Extras." Most the small side-games IMO are a waste of time. Give me franchise mode so I can build my NFL empire!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:07 pm 

Happ, I'm going to try my next Campus Legend with a defensive player. I think I'll try DL first, and then move to the secondary. I figure that's the biggest challenge.

Truthfully, when I started I wanted to be a FB because I think blocking in the funnest part of the game. But unfortunately on offense you can only be a QB, RB, or WR. Frankly, my blocking "fetish" is only partially satisfied when I'm playing as a WR.

I don't expect to pick up Madden anytime soon. Right now, me and my brother just don't have the cash to throw down $60 on a new game. Maybe in a week or two. Until then I'll just have to be content trucking people on NCAA.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:31 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Me being the video game junkie, I will help you guys out.

1- DO NOT get the PS3 version if you own one. It tops out at 720p and only runs 30 frames per second. 360 version tops out at 1080i and runs at 60 fps.

2- The special abilities given to the players such as intelligence, spectacular catches, lock down corner, etc. have given the game so much more depth that in previous years. Each ability has advantages but they also have counters. Such as quick recievers can trump lock down corners and big hitters can trump spectacular catches. Bottom line is the depth of gameplay is unreal.

3- If you edit a player to heighten his attributes, it automatically updates his contract to prevent people from having a 99 overall team rating but if you insist on winning games 200-0 everytime, then you can turn the salary cap off. Personally, thats no fun for me.

4- This game does have its faults like excessive turnovers on higher difficulty levels. It gets annoying but if you play like its real life (make smart throws and cover the ball while running) it actually makes it fairly realistic but still skewed towards excessive.

5- Overall, a much improved game in my eyes. If you guys have any questions about this game please feel free to pm me or submit the question in this forum. Wish I could write more but duty calls.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:36 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

And btw, the microsoft warranty is now 1 year on parts and 3 years on the "red ring of death". So if you have a hardware failure, microsoft covers that for 3 years. That will most likely change once they implement the 65nm processor. So all who are thinking of buying the 360 dont be so worried. At least its not like the PS3 where they made the OS and "cell processor" so sophisticated that gaming companies are having a very hard time writing game code that will function properly on this thing. What a cluster&*%$. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:51 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Great info!!! I have respect for you gamers. I never had the "lust" to get involved in video games after my Commodore 64's moon landing game kept hanging up.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:16 pm 

BTW, if anybody has a 360, and wants to add me as their friend, my gamertag is Omnibus09. Just send me a message indicating who you are on the boards (I don't want to be cyberstalked on 360)

Don't ask me what the name means or its significance, oddly it was just one of the first words that popped into my head when I was trying to come up with something, and it might be the coolest sounding word with the most mundane meaning.

I play mostly Gears of War online (sadly my skills rank as average, since I only started playing online a week or so ago), but I plan on playing Madden as well when I do pick up the game.

Profile E-mail