It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Financial aspect of this
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:53 am 
Veteran
Veteran

It has been written that Blank can look to recover up to $28 mill from Vick in bonus money. This being said this would make a pretty big problem IMHO with Vick being able to afford his super defense team of lawyers.

Post subject: Re: Financial aspect of this
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:59 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Quake wrote:
It has been written that Blank can look to recover up to $28 mill from Vick in bonus money. This being said this would make a pretty big problem IMHO with Vick being able to afford his super defense team of lawyers.

Vick has plenty of money. He probably has way over 50 million in the bank. His earnings, when you add up all the endorsement money, is around 200 million the last 6 years. Just the interest alone on his stash would pay for all the lawyers he will need. Which is a moot point now that the case probably won't go to trial.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If he does go to trial and is convicted, his assets will be siezed, including his $$ that was earmarked to his lawyers. I would bet they are encouraging him to take the plea.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Happ wrote:
If he does go to trial and is convicted, his assets will be siezed, including his $$ that was earmarked to his lawyers. I would bet they are encouraging him to take the plea.

Trust me - the lawyers ALWAYS get paid. Who do you think wrote the forfeiture provisions. :D

All kidding aside, if the lawyers fees would be blocked by seizure of assests, who would ever get representation in these types of cases? Can't get a PD because you have the money up front and can't afford your own because no one would want to take the case with a high probability of not getting paid. It is a right to counsel thing.

As to the recoupment of the bonus, that is covered by the CBA and they have waived thier rights to go to court on that issue.

W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:12 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm not sure Vick just has $30 million sitting in a bank somewhere where it can be easily accessed for him to write a check to Arthur Blank.

I'm sure if/when the Falcons try to get that bonus money back, Vick is going to have to sell a great number of things so he can get that money.

Also it should be noted that Vick's only received roughly $52 million in terms of salary paid to him by the Falcons over the past 6 years. I don't know how much endorsement money he's made in that time, but I don't think it's Tiger Woods type money. Besides his shoe deal, what other deal is really that lucrative that will cause him to have tens of millions sitting in the bank?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:54 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Pudge wrote:
I'm not sure Vick just has $30 million sitting in a bank somewhere where it can be easily accessed for him to write a check to Arthur Blank.

I'm sure if/when the Falcons try to get that bonus money back, Vick is going to have to sell a great number of things so he can get that money.

Also it should be noted that Vick's only received roughly $52 million in terms of salary paid to him by the Falcons over the past 6 years. I don't know how much endorsement money he's made in that time, but I don't think it's Tiger Woods type money. Besides his shoe deal, what other deal is really that lucrative that will cause him to have tens of millions sitting in the bank?

Vick has earned, according to reports, some 37.5 million per year in salary and endorsements....As i stated before it is much closer to 200 million than you think.This of course doesn't include his assets in the many investment funds in is sure to have in his portfolio.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19834805/page/2/

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:15 pm 

Okay, $37 million never mind then. I imagine most of that is his shoe deal. I didn't realize it was that big.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Financial aspect of this
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

BirdBrain wrote:
Quake wrote:

Vick has plenty of money. He probably has way over 50 million in the bank. His earnings, when you add up all the endorsement money, is around 200 million the last 6 years. Just the interest alone on his stash would pay for all the lawyers he will need. Which is a moot point now that the case probably won't go to trial.

Regarding the recovery of the bonus money, didn't the courts complicate the recovery by teams in the Ashley Lelee case where Denver lost it's case? Don't know the complete facts on this issue, but maybe Cap can enlighten.

Now BB, you must know that the lawyers are all going to get rich even if the case doesn't go to trial. Plea barganing, client consults, more plea bargaining, more client consults equal billings to the poor client.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:36 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Yes John, but no where near the amount of time and effort had the case gone to trial. Not to mention the appeal process following the eventual conviction, which in some cases can run more than the actual trial. If he pleads out, i would estimate he would only pay about 30-40% of the costs had he gone on to a trial.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

BirdBrain wrote:
Yes John, but no where near the amount of time and effort had the case gone to trial. Not to mention the appeal process following the eventual conviction, which in some cases can run more than the actual trial. If he pleads out, i would estimate he would only pay about 30-40% of the costs had he gone on to a trial.

Your right, I should have added a smiley. Just couldn't resist a poke at the sharks. Sorry didn't mean to use the "S" word Wease.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:45 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

John O wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

Your right, I should have added a smiley. Just couldn't resist a poke at the sharks. Sorry didn't mean to use the "S" word Wease.

Sorry man...my cynic meter is on the fritz. I may be the only person on Earth that has never had a bad experience with a lawyer (knocks on wood)....Never had a divorce, a probate situation or been in jail.I understand the concept of going all out to get your client the best deal. I do suspect there are horrible lawyers out there..hehehehe.......but give me a horrible lawyer over a horrible doctor any day.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

BirdBrain wrote:
Sorry man...my cynic meter is on the fritz. I may be the only person on Earth that has never had a bad experience with a lawyer (knocks on wood)....Never had a divorce, a probate situation or been in jail.I understand the concept of going all out to get your client the best deal. I do suspect there are horrible lawyers out there..hehehehe.......but give me a horrible lawyer over a horrible doctor any day.

Again you are correct. Especially if that horrible doctor has a scapele in his hand or it's the first week in June and he is an intern. Being med oriented you probably know why.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:06 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

John O wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

Again you are correct. Especially if that horrible doctor has a scapele in his hand or it's the first week in June and he is an intern. Being med oriented you probably know why.

As i recall, it is the first week on the job for most internships....but it has been a while since i have had any exposure to the goings on in the krankenhaus. :lol:

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

[quote="BirdBrain]As i recall, it is the first week on the job for most internships....but it has been a while since i have had any exposure to the goings on in the krankenhaus. :lol:[/quote]
You are again correct. It's also a time many surgeons go on vacation and leave their patients in the hands of those new interns and their on-call partners. Never schedule surgery in early June and always befriend your lawyer. He will still take your money but he may give you break on the golf course.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:16 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

OKay let's say he pays the money back. Can we still cut him without there being a cap hit?

What do you think they should do financially?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Soon as John and BB quit stroking each other, Wease will come in and make it all clear for us little people. :lol:

Ya'll are missing this guy,...a Niners fan that is the absolute authority on such matters.

Question was asked,...no experts to answer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:39 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

PB21 wrote:
Soon as John and BB quit stroking each other, Wease will come in and make it all clear for us little people. :lol:

Ya'll are missing this guy,...a Niners fan that is the absolute authority on such matters.

Question was asked,...no experts to answer?

Question has been asked and answered many times already.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:02 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sport ... 0vick.html

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:50 am 
Superstar
Superstar

why thank you. The experts have spoken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:02 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

PB21 wrote:
why thank you. The experts have spoken.

NP Timmy....Image

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail