All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dan Patrick leaving ESPN
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:35 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Last day will be Aug. 17

July 9, 2007

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

ESPN announced today that longtime radio and television anchor Dan Patrick will be leaving the network in August. Patrick’s final radio broadcast will be on Friday, Aug. 17. The mutual agreement will allow Patrick to pursue new interests outside of ESPN, and will bring to an end his involvement with ESPN’s radio, television and magazine outlets.

The week of Patrick’s final show, ESPN Radio will look back at memorable moments from the show, in addition to featuring special guest appearances and interviews.

“I’ve spent a third of my life at ESPN," Patrick said in a statement. "All my children were born while I was employed here. I feel privileged to have had this opportunity and I have extremely mixed emotions about leaving. With that said, I told ESPN that I believe it’s time for me to try something different, something that will also be challenging and rewarding. While I’m not sure what that will be, I am grateful to ESPN for its willingness to allow me to pursue new endeavors.”

Patrick has hosted ESPN Radio’s Dan Patrick Show since 1999. He also recently served as host of the NBA studio program on ABC, "NBA Countdown," and the network’s game broadcasts, including the NBA Finals. He was a "SportsCenter" anchor from 1989-2006, and has written "Outtakes" for ESPN The Magazine.

Patrick was named National Sportscaster of the Year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association (NSSA) in 2000, and received a Sports Emmy Award in the Studio Host category in 1998. Prior to ESPN, Patrick, a graduate of the University of Dayton, was a sports anchor/reporter for CNN (1983-89).

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:38 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Just got into my Hotel room and flipped on the computer and DAMN....my boy will be leaving. I think i have listened to him for 4-5 years on a daily basis. Classy guy....hope he goes somewhere where he will still team up with KO.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:06 pm 

That is disappointing news! I've been a big Dan Patrick fan as long as he has been on the Portland sports talk radio station. Unfortunately since I switch jobs in December I haven not been able to listen to the radio during the day (strict no radio policy in the main office *Sigh*). I hope whatever show replaces DP during the day here in Portland is a solid one.

The most unfortunate thing with DP leaving is that 1080 will probably length the amount of air time Jim Rome gets during the day. Listening to Rome is like sticking a drill bit into my freaking eye. That is a guy that needs to call it a career....

ERRR
OUT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

We just got a new sports station here, and I listen because they have national shows, such as Patrick's. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to listen to internet radio due to bandwith issues as my work, so I am forced to listen to local radio.

That said, I love his show, as he has a fair amount of clout and is not afraid to ask some tough questions during his interviews. I hope that ESPN comes up with a good host, but he will be hard to replace. It sure beats all the local Sooners coverage 24x7 on the other sports station. I mean, I just can't bring myself to care about college recruiting and high school football.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:42 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Truly a class act. I remember back in the 90's Dan Patrick would do a daily call-in on 96Rock in Atlanta for sports but mainly the Braves info, etc.... He IS a Braves fan. I can't wait to hear what he tries next. I'll be pulling for him. Best o' luck Mr. Patrick!

Profile E-mail