It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great Athlete of All Time Bo Jackson
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:56 am 

Greatest athlete of all time Bo Jackson according to Sports Science. I guess this can be quite subjective but you would have to know why Sports Science considers Jackson the greatest. I saw him play a bit in college and in the pros with Oakland and the KC Royals. He could do things on the field that just were amazing. The combination of speed and power I believe he had the greatest tools. Deion Sanders is fast I believe ran a 4.2? 40 yards but Jackson ran it in 4.12 at 220 pounds. He had prodigious power as a baseball player. When I think of the newest star player in the big league Bryce Harper and how the media as built this player up he wasn't Bo Jackson. If you watch the documentary 30/30 ESPN they do a good job about Bo's life. They talk about the first time he stepped in the batting cage as a Royal. The great Buck O Neil and others were there to watch Jackson. First pitch Jackson hit the top of the crown in centerfield which no one ever did before. O'Neil said the sound the ball hitting the bat he had heard only 2 other times in his life. Babe Ruth and Josh Gibson. As a running back any time he touched the ball it was hold your breath because he could go the distance. I was a big Hershel Walker fan when he played at Georgia. I didn't think anyone could rival his speed and power but when I saw Jackson I thought he was the better running back. It's off these 2 running backs came along almost the same time in history. I really think he could have been a hall of famer in both sports had he stayed healthy. I believe he retired at 27 yrs old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBbrMDX1tZ4

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Great Athlete of All Time Bo Jackson
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:32 am 

Here Jalen Rose makes a case for Deion Sanders being the best 2 sport athlete over Bo. I don't agree Bo knows baseball and football better than Deion Sanders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFe2jvN-HVI

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

No I also believe its Deion Sanders...

I'm sorry Bo got hurt but he did, and you can't accomplish more if your not playing. I realize
he was great, but Deion had a way of helping his teams make it to the big game!!

In Bo's 4 season's in football he only played 38 games; there's no doubt both he and Sanders were great, but even in Bo's 8 years of baseball only 4 were really good.

Deion Sanders had a long football life and played great in a couple of Super Bowls. Deion
also played 9 years in the majors and hit a home run to help win a World series game!!

They both made headlines and I don't think its a clear cut choice- Sanders just played as good IMO, and definitely played longer.

I don't ever count college because there are great college players who never make it to the pro's.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:37 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Is the question is about who's the better athlete or who's the better player? Because I don't think the answers are the same.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:09 pm 

The greatest athlete the question is about. Cyril, there is no mistake that Sanders was better on the field only because of longevity would bet to a man if you asked the baseball players and football players who do you hate the face the most they would say Bo Jackson. Sanders was excellent but he was afraid to tackle anyone. I'm not sure if Deon was better than Rod Woodson. Football players who played against Bo in the NFL probably would say Jackson was the toughest running back they faced and this is without even going to football camp before the regular season.

Deion had speed but Bo was actually faster had a better arm, and his power was one of the greatest in the game's history. Who would a pitcher rather face Sanders or Jackson? Also Deion played for the Braves during their heyday with Glavine,Maddux,Smoltz,Avery but Jackson played for the lowly Kansas City Royals. Jackson never got a chance to display his skills in the playoffs. Anytime the limelight was on him he rose to the occasion like the all star game.

I'll agree Sanders had better stats however the better athlete was Bo and he could have been the better player if he wasn't stopped by the career injury.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well I have always said Deion tackled more than his distractors tried to take away from him.....

Scout I can't argue about Bo Jackson perhaps being the best athlete; but I always wondered how
some athletes always seemed to get hurt where a guy like Deion Sanders played almost 14 games to 16 games for most of 14 seasons......Bo sure looks like the best athlete?

Sanders was also with the lowly Falcons those first years with teams offering him big money. I think it takes more than being a good athlete to be great; but your right Bo Jackson had that extra something too!! I won't really argue about Bo Jackson, but you got to admit playing supurb cornerback and with his punts and Kickoff returns you got to be a good athlete to play that long; but I won't argue against Bo Jackson !!