It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm sick of the nanny state!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:42 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/ ... -bluetooth

Post subject: Re: I'm sick of the nanny state!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:05 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Texting is clearly a no-no, for the reason listed in the article. You cannot read a book while driving, and some people are clearly stupid enough to do so. I do believe that their stupidity should be fined to offset the cost of paying for the people they injure.

As to banning hands-free devices, that's idiotic. Is it illegal to talk to someone in the car with you? No? Than a purely hands/eyes free device has to be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:19 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Driving should be made illegal. :up:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:40 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

samedi wrote:
Texting is clearly a no-no, for the reason listed in the article. You cannot read a book while driving, and some people are clearly stupid enough to do so. I do believe that their stupidity should be fined to offset the cost of paying for the people they injure.

As to banning hands-free devices, that's idiotic. Is it illegal to talk to someone in the car with you? No? Than a purely hands/eyes free device has to be fine.

Agree about texting though I've done it. Is it illegal to smoke? Pick your nose? Listen to or adjust the radio? I think you can safely drive while holding a phone to your ear.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:14 pm 

No, you can't depending on your definition of the word "safely."

Any distraction you have while on the road significantly undermines your ability to drive safely, whether that is tuning the radio, talking to another person sitting beside you or on the phone, eating, checking out the lady with the large rack jogging, noticing the specials on the board at your local drug store, etc. That is if the word "safely" means having 99% of your attention on the road, anticipating any potential unsafe hazards or obstacles, and being aware of what most of the surrounding vehicles are doing.

People would be surprised how a lot of things that most would deem "trivial" significantly diminish their reaction times.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:36 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It's called multi-tasking. If you think about it, every time you pass someone coming the other way on a two lane road you are about six feet away from a disasterous head on collision and yet this happens millions upon millions of times a day. People are chatting, daydreaming, fixing their hair in the rearview,etc. Want to criminalize all these things because any one of them might cause a wreck? Come on, you're Mr Stats. Obey the law....of averages! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:38 pm 

Yeah, I'm aware of this. Even despite the fact that we are constantly being distracted while driving, accidents are statistically a low possibility.

The thing with multi-tasking is that while you may be performing multiple tasks, that doesn't mean you successfully divvy up your attention equally or appropriately. While you are talking on the phone or engaged in any conversation, generally speaking the bulk of your attention goes to what you are saying or what is being said to you. That doesn't mean you cease paying any attention to the road, but it's certainly not enough that you could be considered to be driving "safely" if something happens that requires your attention or a quick reaction. But as you noted, that something rarely occurs, thus it rarely becomes an issue.

Look, I've texted while driving numerous times. I try to do so only when I'm stopped at a light. I've talked on the phone before. I think texting while driving is bad, and thus am not opposed to trying to legislate it. I think talking on the phone is probably more dangerous than people realize, and should be minimized as much as possible. Going hands-free is ideal, but not realistic. Should their be a complete ban on phone use while driving? Ehh, it's not a terrible idea because it would indeed make roads safer. Is it realistic or convenient? No.

And that's the key. You, myself, and others aren't necessarily opposed to this because it's not making the roads safer. We're opposed because it is an inconvenience to us. If it was the case that you could not operate your phone to dial/text while your motor vehicle was moving with the lone exception to dial 911, is that a bad thing? No. It would make the roads safer and potentially save the lives and appendages of up to several hundred people every year.

So like most things in this country, the spirit of the law I agree with. The execution of the law, that's a whole 'nother can of worms...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:43 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Next thing you know you're going to tell me you want to make getting a BJ while driving illegal. :evil: