It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seaons Of The Witch New Movie Review
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:21 am 

I went to see the Nic cage movie today and my thoughts are,RENT IT. Don't waste money on this movie. I was hoping Cage would finally do something noteworthy but it turns out its not a good movie. It's worth renting but not paying the extra dough to see it on the big screen. At the end the girl as some pretty mean powers but she turns into a demon. Things looked so fake it was laughable I'm afraid to say. I always liked Cage but he hasn't had a good movie since National Treasure. :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Seaons Of The Witch New Movie Review
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:48 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

thescout wrote:
I went to see the Nic cage movie today and my thoughts are,RENT IT. Don't waste money on this movie. I was hoping Cage would finally do something noteworthy but it turns out its not a good movie. It's worth renting but not paying the extra dough to see it on the big screen. At the end the girl as some pretty mean powers but she turns into a demon. Things looked so fake it was laughable I'm afraid to say. I always liked Cage but he hasn't had a good movie since National Treasure. :(

He puts out more crap than a parakeet. I don't know how he keeps getting contracts. The sad thing is he can be pretty good when he wants. "Adpatation" was great. There was one called Bangkok something or other that ranks as one of the worst movies with some of the most reprehensibly bad acting I've ever seen. A good place for an Uzi.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:45 am 

BnB, your right about Nic Cage his movies haven't been well since National Tressure. Outside of National Tressure, Con Air,Faceoff and the Rock his movies are certainly lacking. I guess you could say that about Will Farrell movies also just don't click most of the time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:19 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

thescout wrote:
BnB, your right about Nic Cage his movies haven't been well since National Tressure. Outside of National Tressure, Con Air,Faceoff and the Rock his movies are certainly lacking. I guess you could say that about Will Farrell movies also just don't click most of the time.

Personally, I would suggest that those four also suck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The problem with Nic Cage is he walks through a lot of roles just to collect a check. And the other problem is that Hollywood still relies on the notion of putting actors in movies that can "open" films and make marketing easier. It's that thing that clicks with viewers when they see the trailer for something. Nic Cage gives a film much more weight than Ritchie Coster, Kevin McKidd, or Ryan Hurst would. It's why good actors are stuck doing supporting roles until they do that one film that gets them an award and then shoots them up to the A list.

Cage isn't bad, but he's clearly a "B list" actor. I liked him a lot in Adaptation, and didn't think he was terrible in Knowing, Kick-Ass, or Lord of War, but Face/Off doesn't hold up as well now as, and neither does the Rock, although it's still probably 2 of his better movies in the past 15 years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:36 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I had to laugh reading your response, Pudge. You plugged in the name of three or four people who--to me--are fairly obscure and faceless. It reminds me of when you are speaking of college prospects or FAs. I guess it isn't really that different. My realm of knowledge can be pretty pathetic. The premise behind Faceoff and stuff like that is so stinking stupid I can't watch them. There is so much possibility for inspiration and the like in movie making that the exploitative and purely entertaining or allegedly entertaining kind of grow a weed up my ass...or, in other words, "Get off my lawn!"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:45 am 

I guess will have to agree to disagree on movies like The Rock, Con Air movies. At the time I thought they were good but the more you see of something the less excited a person gets. It's the reason people want to be surprised in movies and they go see them. Hmm maybe Ghost Rider is up your alley Bnb? :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Oh yeah, it is all in eye of the beholder. Things that seem to "new" to a younger viewer may be hackneyed to an older one. An old friend of mine years ago described American cinema in two words: titties and car wrecks. My son loves zombie movies and actually might like something like Season of the Witch. I can't stay awake through them. No Country for Old Men, the Wrestler, the Departed....I like stuff like that more. Special effects (affects?) driven movies leave me cold as a fish.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:39 pm 

Yes the psychological thrillers mean more to me but it's still the element of surprise. I think we have seen all the tough guy movies and what the scenario will be. When Cage first came out at least when he became a star was the tough guy movies. He needs to be in something different and play other parts. Leonardo Dicaprio constantly plays in movies with an element of surprise and obviously the script as to be good but he as stayed on top for awhile. Cruise is more action based and it would be nice to see him do something different.

Few actors can pull between psychological,humor and action based movies. It may be they don't get the opportunity beccause their type casted. Whewn I go see an action movie I want action but something that makes me think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:25 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

thescout wrote:
Yes the psychological thrillers mean more to me but it's still the element of surprise. I think we have seen all the tough guy movies and what the scenario will be. When Cage first came out at least when he became a star was the tough guy movies. He needs to be in something different and play other parts. Leonardo Dicaprio constantly plays in movies with an element of surprise and obviously the script as to be good but he as stayed on top for awhile. Cruise is more action based and it would be nice to see him do something different.

Few actors can pull between psychological,humor and action based movies. It may be they don't get the opportunity beccause their type casted. Whewn I go see an action movie I want action but something that makes me think.

There are actors and then there are guys who basically play themselves over and over again. Cage is actually the former but seems content to be the latter. There are plenty of guys who are entertaining just riffing off of their basic personality--Nicholson, Eastwood, etc., and then some who are not--Kevin Costner comes to mind. But the fact that any are household names says they have talent of some kind.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:39 am 

backnblack wrote:
thescout wrote:

There are actors and then there are guys who basically play themselves over and over again. Cage is actually the former but seems content to be the latter. There are plenty of guys who are entertaining just riffing off of their basic personality--Nicholson, Eastwood, etc., and then some who are not--Kevin Costner comes to mind. But the fact that any are household names says they have talent of some kind.

Hmm, Jim Carey could he play a tough guy like Eastwood? I think Johnny Depp is one of the few actors who takes chances on roles although he doesn't play to many tough guys. Alice in Wonderland vs 21 Jump Street wide range of acting with those two types.Travolta (Welcome Back Kotter vs Faceoff or Pelhan 123.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:14 am 

Johnny Depp doesn't take that many chances anymore. He just plays quirky oddball characters nowadays, frankly because nobody at this point can buy him as an average joe, which from what I hear (I haven't seen it, nor do I think I will anytime soon) is why The Tourist bombed. His last few "normal" roles have all been when he's playing a real historical person: Public Enemies, Blow, The Libertine, and Finding Neverland. Now, I'm not knocking Mr. Depp. He's a very good actor, but it's hard to be an "every man" when you're widely considered to be one of the most attractive men alive. It's hard to connect with a film/character/romance on screen when you're supposed to be wondering if the guy is gonna get the girl and all you're thinking is, "Of course he's gonna get the girl! He's Johnny F-ing Depp! This movie should instead be about whether the girl is gonna get the guy!"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:50 am 

So you don't think Depp could play barney fife is they ever do make a movie about Andy Griffith Rfd? What about Gilligan on Gilligan's Island. It's ironic most men would love to be the handsome lead actor and yet Depp can't play the average joe roles. :lol: I didn't see the Tourist either just didn't rate very high. The Window I believe that was the name may have been Secret Window was one of those psycholigical thrillers don't know if you saw it Pudge by Depp.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:55 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wasn't A. Jolie in that movie? That's generally a red flag that a movie probably sucks. Despite being a lovely creature and a decent actress she is an example of someone who has become a movie star as opposed to an actress. I would argue that her boyfriend has been somewhat able to be both. Maybe a little more choosey? We recently got on to Netflix and have been watching movies here and there. Really interesting to watch movies from the 80s or 90s and how dated many seem. You also wonder how a guy like Christian Slater was ever considered a bankable star.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:09 pm 

thescout wrote:
So you don't think Depp could play barney fife is they ever do make a movie about Andy Griffith Rfd? What about Gilligan on Gilligan's Island. It's ironic most men would love to be the handsome lead actor and yet Depp can't play the average joe roles. :lol: I didn't see the Tourist either just didn't rate very high. The Window I believe that was the name may have been Secret Window was one of those psycholigical thrillers don't know if you saw it Pudge by Depp.

Yeah, I saw Secret Window. Note that Depp's character in that movie was a reclusive, neurotic writer, not exactly an every man.

backnblack wrote:
Wasn't A. Jolie in that movie? That's generally a red flag that a movie probably sucks. Despite being a lovely creature and a decent actress she is an example of someone who has become a movie star as opposed to an actress.

You're right about that. Can't think of a movie that she did where I was floored by her acting chops, although I have yet to see Changeling, the latter of which she was nominated for an Oscar.

Brad Pitt has been a name for 20 years, but he's only been a "star" for the past 10 since Fight Club (1999), Ocean's Eleven (2001), and Troy (2004).

The reason for that is because in the 90s, he sort of avoided doing all those movies where he would be eye candy. Se7en, 12 Monkeys, True Romance, Sleepers, Kalifornia, etc. usually had him playing dark, crazy, or vile characters. And I think because of those earlier films, audiences (at least I know I can) buy Brad PItt more as an every man.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:11 pm 

Hmm, so can you have a good movie without good acting? Changeling, the Lara Croft Movie are just 2 of the movies I enjoyed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:06 am 

Oh I think you definitely can. I was referring more to the "great" acting you know like Tom Hanks-esque.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:24 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Absolutely you can have a good movie without good acting. I don't know if you can have a great movie without it. What was that early movie Jolie was in? Girl Interupted or something like that? She was pretty good in it. Laura Croft is essentially a cartoon, isn't it? You don't realize how bad some movies or how bad some acting is until you see them done well and juxtapose the two. Personally, I've always thought being a movie actor would be one of the worst and most humiliating jobs in the world...but, then, I've never done it. I can see that stage acting would be slightly more appealing. But I'm not saying it would be easy. You would essentially have to be a couple bricks shy of a load to pull it off.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:46 am 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:50 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Rock was brilliant? :shock: