It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I think I might be over 9/11
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I know that sounds horrible, but let me explain.

September 11, 2001 was a very profound experience for me in my life. It was my first few weeks of college and the realization that the world I had known for the first 18 years of my life would not quite be the same.

So when those 9/11 movies World Trade Center and United 93 came out a few years later, I couldn't even watch them just because of the emotional rollercoaster that I knew I would go through dredging up those emotions all over again.

This past weekend, National Geographic Channel had a number of 9/11 specials. I was visiting the folks over Labor Day, so I didn't watch them, but put them on the DVR queue, recorded them with the thinking I'd watch them during the week.

But I didn't. And I woke up today not remembering that it was September 11. Maybe it's because I'm preoccupied with football, but the fact that we have hit the 9-year anniversary of 9/11 doesn't really stick with me.

I think I've finally reached that last stage of acceptance as far as Sept. 11 is concerned.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I think I might be over 9/11
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

My college had a 9/11 sale on football merchanise. Not a sale with proceeds going to whomever, just a 9/11 sale. I was appalled enough to write the University president.

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:34 am 
Superstar
Superstar

9/11 is overrated, America is so ego centric, we go to another country and kill a 100,000 people with questionable reasons at best and we consider it no big deal, we lose 3000 people and its the worst thing ever? All counrtries are just imaginary lines made up by the rich. Remeber we killed millions of indians, but thats right they don't count (not white, rich, christians). 9/11 is used by the evil in power to fatten their pocket books by scarring the stupid masses. By the way I feel awful for the people that died on 9/11 and their families, it was obviously wrong and immorale, but we vastly over inflate its historical value, and our so called leaders have used it to mame and murder far more innocent people for profit and power.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:46 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It was hard to fathom then and it's hard to fathom now...but a lot of innocent people have lost their lives for no good reason then and in it's aftermath. Politicizing, etc., of it is beyond contempt. You know what I always remember about 9-11-02? It was an absolutely gorgeous day and it struck me that if I didn't have a TV or the like I would have never known the difference. Sort of like Katrina....seven hours down the road and yet we were still oddly insulated. Sign of the times...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:47 am 

DaveWaz wrote:
9/11 is overrated, America is so ego centric, we go to another country and kill a 100,000 people with questionable reasons at best and we consider it no big deal, we lose 3000 people and its the worst thing ever? All counrtries are just imaginary lines made up by the rich. Remeber we killed millions of indians, but thats right they don't count (not white, rich, christians). 9/11 is used by the evil in power to fatten their pocket books by scarring the stupid masses. By the way I feel awful for the people that died on 9/11 and their families, it was obviously wrong and immorale, but we vastly over inflate its historical value, and our so called leaders have used it to mame and murder far more innocent people for profit and power.

You can debate its historical significance and whether that's overrated, but you have no way of really knowing without having that history to really reflect on it.

But I do think it had a profound effect on the American psyche. I know it did on mine. The insulated bubble I believed I live in was shattered when terrorists destroyed one of the three icons of the world's greatest city.

I don't think it's overrated at all. Sure, if you just look at body counts. But I think the fact that it has led to the hundreds of thousands of deaths is very much why it isn't overrated at all.

The Cold War had only officially ended a decade before, the sky seemed like the limit for America, and then this bombshell is dropped in our laps, and we've basically been embroiled in a Hot War ever since, and probably will remain so for many decades.

Profile E-mail