It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tim Dwight can still run a 4.4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:26 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Stumbled across this article, in which some former NFL players raced each other in a 60m dash. Anthony Dorsett (Tony's son) won the race with a 7.01. Phillip Buchanon, Willie Gault placed 2nd and 3rd, and Tim Dwight ran a 7.25 to finish in 4th place.

Extrapolating 60 meters to 40 yards, that means at the same pace Dwight would have covered 40 yards in 4.42 seconds. Dorsett's time would have been a 4.27. And Willie Gault still has 4.31 speed.

http://www.universalsports.com/news/art ... 02905.html

Quote:
In one of the more highly anticipated races of the night, it was Anthony Dorsett Jr. who ran away with the men's Super 60, a race between former NFL players. Dorsett, who played eight seasons with the Tennessee Titans and Oakland Raiders, finished in 7.01 seconds.

"I'm stunned that it happened," Dorsett said. "I don't know when the last time any of us had really opened up and sprinted. It was fun. If you go back and read my resume from back in the day, I was a little faster, but if I keep doing things like that maybe I'll make my time. I'm fortunate to have some good genetics behind me. Everyone knows my dad is fast, but my mom is fast - my dad could never catch her."

Former Oakland Raiders cornerback Phillip Buchanon was second in 7.03.

"I've always loved track," he said. "I actually came out to see the actual track meet. Pretty much I came out just trying to have fun. I miss running the 60."

Former Chicago Bear wide receiver, world-class sprinter and 1988 Olympic bobsledder Willie Gault was third in 7.07.

"I felt good once I started running," The 49-year-old said. "I had a little bit of a disappointing start, but it's my first 60 in about four years so it's great. And it's great to get a chance to run with these guys. I enjoy track and field. It keeps me young. I train with guys that are 20 years my junior. It keeps me young, keeps me in a sport I love dearly."

Former Atlanta Falcons wide receivers/special-teams star Tim Dwight was fourth in 7.25.

"We had a lot of fun," Dwight said. "We also compete, but it was a lot of fun. When you make that transition over to the track, it brings some excitement. Football is all about positioning and with track, you can really see how fast guys can be. It gets exciting out there."

Former Indianapolis Colts defensive end Ryan LaCasse was last in 7.50.

"I think track and field might be out of the picture for the rest of my career," he joked.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tim Dwight can still run a 4.4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:09 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I think Willie's time at almost 50 years old is better story. I always liked Willie.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tim Dwight can still run a 4.4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:36 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Screw Willie! Until I read this I felt pretty good about being able to run 10k at my age...period! :evil: