It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hoax and CHAINS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Jones_(climatologist)

Phil Jones (climatologist)

Philip D. Jones (born 1952) is a climatologist at the University of East Anglia, notable for maintaining the time series of the instrumental temperature record;[1] this work figured prominently in the IPCC TAR SPM.[2] He was director of the Climatic Research Unit[3] and a Professor in the School of Environmental Sciences at the University of East Anglia in Norwich. He holds a BA in Environmental Sciences from the University of Lancaster, and an MSc and PhD from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. His PhD was titled "A spatially distributed catchment model for flood forecasting and river regulation with particular reference to the River Tyne". His research interests are instrumental climate change, palaeoclimatology, detection of climate change and the extension of riverflow records in the UK. He was a contributing author to the IPCC TAR chapter 12 Detection of Climate Change and Attribution of Causes. Together with Michael E. Mann he has published on the temperature record of the past 1000 years.

On November 21, 2009, the Associated Press[4] confirmed reports of a computer breach at the Climatic Research Unit in which documents and e-mails, including at least one written by Jones,[5] were stolen and posted to the Internet[6]. Jones said in a statement[7] that "[t]he word 'trick' was used here colloquially as in a clever thing to do. It is ludicrous to suggest that it refers to anything untoward." He did not address his use of the phrase "to hide the decline." [4][8][9]

On 1 December the UEA announced that Jones would temporarily stand aside as director until the completion of an independent Review resulting from allegations of inappropriate scientific conduct following the hacking and publication of emails from the Unit.[3]

global warming is a hoax. Mankind cannot influence the Earth's weather, nor temps. Al Gore recently said on The Tonight Show that under two kilometers of the Earth's surface it's "two or three million degrees."LOLOLOL! You people have been exposed. It would take 100 years of no humans living on the Earth to fix things? LOLOL! Pudge posted that. LOL!

Does anyone know the temperature scientists have been able to measure underneath the Earth's crust? And how deep they had to go get the measurement? Al Gore and the president in charge for the moment are liars, cheats, crooks in the highest degree.

Hey, what's the temperature out there liberals? How's that global warming going? Is the North Pole not freezing more than in a century? When Al Gore said the North Pole's ice would be gone in 5 years?LOLOLOL And don't try giving anyone that laughable argument that the Southern Hemisphere was hotter than the North last year. The Southern Hemisphere suffered its' coldest Winter last year in 24 years. Go look it up you lying little libs. Now NASA and the Weather Channel are lying to everyone. We've been monitoring the temp forecasts by TWC and there is never a temp higher than their prediction. NEVER! The forecast is always higher than the actual temps. Today they predicted it would be 42 degrees in Atlanta,...well,...it's almost 5 o'clock and it's just,...26 degrees. Liars.

Yeah,..."he watching you." LOL! And it won't be easy making this country into a backward nation. We know the plan you idiots. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Hoax and CHAINS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:19 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

You really don't understand the concept of global warming. You should educate yourself first on it.

Global warming is just the broad term for what is currently going on. It's the easier term to use and illustrate what is occurring on the Earth, where it primarily deals with large amounts of greenhouse gas emissions released into the atmosphere (by human beings). Since CO2 is a greenhouse gas, it allows more of the sun's heat to be trapped in the atmosphere that increases temperature.

But looking at the temperatures of a country, region, or continent for one season doesn't prove or disprove global warming.

With increased heat in certain areas of the Earth (again it is not uniform since there is something we like to call wind and air currents which can move heat), like say the polar regions, you have lots of ice melting. This is an indisputable fact that the ice caps are receding in many areas (as are glaciers in other areas). This increases the amount of water run off, thus making sea levels rise. With more water it dramatically changes how water currents and thus the distribution of heat goes. This can have a dramatic impact on the strength of hurricanes (strengthening or weakening them), and in coastal regions can have a large impact on their temperatures.

The Earth has natural checks and balances for small changes. The oceans naturally dissolve CO2 from the air. This is where the statement that the Earth could fix itself within a 100 years. I've heard research that says this natural check could dissolve most of the CO2 that exists in the air today back to its pre-19th century levels within a century.

But one of the problems with that is that the increased CO2 in the water also has an adverse effect on animal and plant life in the oceans, particularly on coral reefs. It's called ocean carbonification. It makes the water more acidic, and many creatures (such as coral) that rely on a certain pH level bear the brunt of this. Now in time, species can rebound, which we know from our endeavors with endangered species.

Now I'll acknowledge that fun gus has "educated" me somewhat on this issue. And in that we aren't quite on the brink in the sense that we're a few decades away from extinction of all life on the planet which some libs and scientists try to portray. But sometimes you have to exaggerate to get your point across.

Global warming is not a myth. The issue is not nor has it ever been whether global warming exists. The issue is what steps do people have to do in order to fix the problem. Discovering just how fragile the environmental equilibrium. How much is too much?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:42 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

As with all things it is the battle for the vocabulary that is often as important as the underlying condition. "Climate Change" is perhaps the more accurate term rather the "Global Warming." Of course, whatever you call it, I'll still pitch my tent with the scientific community rather than the Republicans in congress.

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:45 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Very true about the vocab, Wease. The whole "green" movement has been typecast as tree huggers and hippies when they are actually where the smart money is going.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:15 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Wease wrote:
As with all things it is the battle for the vocabulary that is often as important as the underlying condition. "Climate Change" is perhaps the more accurate term rather the "Global Warming." Of course, whatever you call it, I'll still pitch my tent with the scientific community rather than the Republicans in congress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONd-Yk48R8E

Penn and Teller circa....2003~!!

Chrictons's 2004 fiction 'State of Fear' was what got me searching. After his book came out, watching the reaction from the usual suspects was telling. It was a book of fiction, but some of these guys (and gals )made it out to be Martin Luther's 95 Thesis against Indulgences....Underlying the novel is what he regards as 'the postmodern view of science' - that science is not a quest for knowledge and/or truth but another power struggle in which competing scientists are more likely to be influenced by self-interest and prejudice than by any objective evaluation of evidence..But even the Goracle spoke against this silly little fiction book in a US House committee panel!

Think about this for a minute 'cap and trade'. C'mon guys. This is a system that allows polluting corporations to pay a 'tax' ( indulgence ) and get to keep polluting. Sorry, friends, you dont have to be Penn and Teller to see that is BS. You dont have to be Martin Luther to figure that out, only honest enough to question the politicians and scientists that called people 'holocaust deniers' and stating emphatically 'the debate os over'.. :roll:

...Chricton used the eugenics movement in the early 20th century to educate me on the perils of 'science' and 'politics'. It's not a bad book, but not one of his greats. I recommend it as a good study guide, but not gospel truth. :so:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Was the previous post in English? :doh:

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Wease wrote:

It's Fungus's attempt to write in PB's secret language that only the two of them and I guess penn and Teller can understand....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:49 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Wease wrote:

yeah, I haven't downloaded the anal retentive grammar/typo app on the new Iphone..lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
Wease wrote:

yeah, I haven't downloaded the anal retentive grammar/typo app on the new Iphone..lol:

It is well worth the $0.99 and the sphincter icon leaves no doubt what it is.... :up:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:27 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

DaveWaz wrote:
Wease wrote:

It's Fungus's attempt to write in PB's secret language that only the two of them and I guess penn and Teller can understand....

douche'...oops, I meant Touche' :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:16 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wease wrote:
fun gus wrote:
Wease wrote:

It is well worth the $0.99 and the sphincter icon leaves no doubt what it is.... :up:

For some reason that icon after that sentence reminds me of a prostate exam. :oops: