It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Original Rain Man Dies
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:39 am 

The original rainman has died the one Dustin Hoffman played in the movie was this man.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap. ... an-dies-ap

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Original Rain Man Dies
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:28 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I actually met this man, really weird. I was waiting tables and he was in town to do a speech. He looked as if he had down syndrome and sounded it too. He requested a handfull of servers over to the table where he was sitting with college professors and his caretakers. He then asked us what our adresses were and gave every one of us spot on directions from the resteraunt to our houses. He knew every road and every turn, this was in Albany ny were he had just landed a few hours earlier and had never been before, f'n amazing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:38 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I saw something once where they talked about him, and I guess he basically remembers everything he sees. So if he flips through a book, and then you ask him where a specific sentence is in the book, he can tell you what page and paragraph.

It's redonkulous.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:17 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge wrote:
I saw something once where they talked about him, and I guess he basically remembers everything he sees. So if he flips through a book, and then you ask him where a specific sentence is in the book, he can tell you what page and paragraph.

It's redonkulous.

sounds like you, pudge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:20 am 
Superstar
Superstar

This guy was too out of it to order his own dinner people had to do it for him, and clean him after as he got food all over himself, so yes just like pudge :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:41 am 

DaveWaz wrote:
This guy was too out of it to order his own dinner people had to do it for him, and clean him after as he got food all over himself, so yes just like pudge :P

I told you that in confidence, Dave. :x

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:36 am 

I may have seen the same show Pudge on the Rainman.It talked about his life and the things he goes through daily.It's kind of weird I actually am quite fascinated by people like the Rainman. I think the show was called Super Human and it was about people with unusual gifts.It may have been on the Discovery Channel. I mean this was a great show and it really is amazing how unique these people are.

One guy was blind all of his life yet can paint beautiful paintings.They took him to a place in Italy where they wanted to see if he had depth perception and he did paint or build a minature building that there was no way he could have known.Another story had a guy who doesn't get cold to a certain temperature. His challenge was to walk 12 miles in underwear with no boots or anything but barefeet. After going 10 miles the emergency tech told him he needs to quit or frost bite might cause him to lose his feet. He decided he was going to finish the race and did. They took him indoors and examined him.Afte a period of time he was able to baffle the doctors and warm his feet up rubbing them or something. I guess when you have frost bite the body shuts down but he did it and was ok.Another lady she says she can hear music and see colors.Not only does she have percfect pitch but she sees actual colors from notes. :shock: I don't remember alot of the other stories but if you googled it Super Human the show you might be able to order it.There were a number of stories and I think Rainman was one of them. The brain or the human body is a powerful mechanism and some people have extraordinary gifts.

Now if we could only get Mckay to use 2% of his brain to make the Falcon selections we would be alot better than we are now. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:54 am 

Oh yeah I forgot I just remember a few more stroies of Super Human people. There was a guy that supposed to have an incredible memory and to test him they had him memoize 3 packs of playing cards and gave him a few minutes to do it. He had a clock to beat I think it was 1 or 2 minutes to name every card in order. Did he do it? Yes he did it and is supposed to be the only guy in the world to be able to do it that fast. Does having a great memory help him in the job market. When they made the show he was unemployed but I think he was an accountant living in Great Britain.

They had a lady now this was on 20/20 TV show that remembers every detail of her life and perfect recall. The USA Today did a story on people like her and said there are only 3-4 people in the world that have this ability. I think she says while it can be a blessing it can be a curse since she relives the feelings she had during the time if she thinks about it.They had a kid that was a piano prodigy who was also learning to play jazz and was very good. I can't recall his name but hopefully he'll be unique in his playing.Their are alot of very good players but few innovators in music.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:15 am 

Yeah, that was the special I saw. I remember the frostbite guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:29 am 

Pudge wrote:
Yeah, that was the special I saw. I remember the frostbite guy.

Great minds think alike hmm same interests. I do remember another girl who paints incredible paintings.No one in the family had interest but her paintings are amazing. There was a guy on the program with a unique talent but he didn't have it all his life. It came to him when he was like 18-19 yrs old.I forget the technical term but there is hope for the rest of us whatever special talent we have bottled up,haha. :lol:

I guess in a way this show reminds me of the sci fi movies with people that have special powers like X Men.I've always like those movies and I guess I am a weirdo liking weird things. :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:22 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Back in the 80's, I went to a FAME type high school for performing arts...There was a guy then who was really 'off'. Seemed like some sort of mental issue. He didn't wash or keep himself well, always ate his lunch away from anyone else. I caught him once in the subbasement as I was trying to sneak a smoke. He was eating his food, but using napkins to hold the food, he would not touch his lunch with his bare hands. But this guy was a savant. He could do things with a violin that was unreal. He had 100% perfect pitch and musical recall. You could turn on a boombox, and play a couple measures of a popular song, and he could replicate it perfectly. Then you could ask him to play the same thing a year later, and he could do it. It was amazing. He could just hear a recording of a classical masterpience, and immediately perform it flawlessly.

I never understood why he even bothered to go to this school. There was nothing they could teach this kid, nothing. I guess since he had this talent, they figured 'put him in the arty school'...I never saw him in any real classes, math, english, etc..At the reunion nobody seemed to know whatever happened to him. I tried googling him, but got nothing. I often think about this guy and wonder where he went. I watched that 20 20 show as well!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:11 pm 

Interesting FunGus thanks for the story.Well if you may I'll give you a story probably no one has heard of that is remarkable. A long time ago when I was a teenager I was watching a church show and they brought this guy on with his mom. The guy couldn't see and his eye sockets looked weird.

Anyway they had this guy perform and it was truly incredible. The guy could sing like an opera singer yet he was a savant.The weird thing about him is he could sing in any language just by hearing something one time and he could play the music on piano.I can't remember if they demonstrated it but there was no doubt this kid/guy could do what they say.He could speak words like a normal person but when he perfomred he could mimic the recording exactly in any language and play the part on piano. This guys name was Leslie.I don't remember his last name but I have always wondered what happened to him.

You going to think I am nuts but they explained how Leslie became this way.When he was born he had his eye balls amputated.Not sure when here is the strange part Leslie's mom was doing something in the house and she said an angel came to her telling her Leslie was to receive a special gift. If memory serves correctly Leslie shortly after began demonstrating his unique ability out of the blue and his mom couldn't believe it.

I have never heard anything like this case and always wondered what happened to Leslie.It does make you wonder the power of the brain and even the religous aspect of the story. There are things we small human s don't understand and never will.

Profile E-mail