It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is This How Guitar Players Start Out?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:10 am 

Is this how guitar players start out? :shock:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/odd-1574965 ... b-17135962

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Is This How Guitar Players Start Out?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:00 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrNLan4aaBQ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:36 am 

I wonder if thats how Mick Jagger started out or Slash,haha! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:07 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

thescout wrote:

I don't think Jagger plays guitar Scout.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:03 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BirdBrain wrote:
thescout wrote:

He actually plays quite well. He wrote the chord changes and plays on Brown Sugar among countless others. I understood more of the lyrics that the Asian kid (pretty dang good, really) sings than Jagger. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:28 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:
thescout wrote:

He actually plays quite well. He wrote the chord changes and plays on Brown Sugar among countless others. I understood more of the lyrics that the Asian kid (pretty dang good, really) sings than Jagger. :wink: :lol:

He also plays harmonica pretty good and piano!

BnB, how bout the chicken man using a digi delay pedal on the street? I saw a guy doing the same on Ventura Beach years ago, with a sax, digi pedal and playing the bass lying flat on the ground with his other foot! Dont you know when I got home, I put the bass on the carpet and tried the same damn thing? Now if I could actually see my feet, I think I could have pulled it off :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:38 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, those pedals with loops and all that are really great if you have a knack for them. I bought a Line6 pedal after seeing my friend, Will Kimbrough, perform with one but I never have really gotten comfortable with it. I'm pretty Neandrathal with playing. But will would put loop upon loop...beat on the guitar for a kick, hit the deadened strings for a snare, play a bass line, play a rhythm line or two and then solo over it just as he is standing in front of the audience on stage. It really expands the presentation. what do you call those guys? Buskers?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:46 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
Yeah, those pedals with loops and all that are really great if you have a knack for them. I bought a Line6 pedal after seeing my friend, Will Kimbrough, perform with one but I never have really gotten comfortable with it. I'm pretty Neandrathal with playing. But will would put loop upon loop...beat on the guitar for a kick, hit the deadened strings for a snare, play a bass line, play a rhythm line or two and then solo over it just as he is standing in front of the audience on stage. It really expands the presentation. what do you call those guys? Buskers?

yep, Buskers. My all time favorite hobby. Sometime soon we will have to get together up here so I can show you some of my busking toys. I have a great portable drum kit I fashioned out of and old school wooden suitcase. I also use Pignose and Peavey Solo 10 battery powered amps on the street...

Love me some sidewalk playing...There's really decent $$ to be made if you find a good spot ( outside the Braves games under the I 20 over pass is a good one ) and no club owner to hassle with. Just homeless people and drunk fans. :hihi:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:53 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

fun gus wrote:
backnblack wrote:

yep, Buskers. My all time favorite hobby. Sometime soon we will have to get together up here so I can show you some of my busking toys. I have a great portable drum kit I fashioned out of and old school wooden suitcase. I also use Pignose and Peavey Solo 10 battery powered amps on the street...

Love me some sidewalk playing...There's really decent $$ to be made if you find a good spot ( outside the Braves games under the I 20 over pass is a good one ) and no club owner to hassle with. Just homeless people and drunk fans. :hihi:

I may have passed you there? There is a guy who plays "drums" on a five gallon bucket at the MARTA entry by the Dome who is pretty good. In Munich this summer I was totally knocked out by the quality of the buskers. Nobody wants to hear the Jimmy Buffet crapola that every bar room strummer plays stateside. They are really eclectic and kind of rootsy/historic is approach. Does that make sense?
Those Pignose amps sound pretty good. I've got a little mini Orange amp but not sure it would pull that off. It will fit in a gig bag with my guitar so if i go on vacation I can fool around a little. Speaking of drums in a suitcase and the Stones...did you know the original version of Street Fighting Man was recorded on a set of drums that folded up into a suitcase?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:04 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Vince Lombardi

Last edited by BirdBrain on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:04 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Jagger plays a "little" guitar..I've seen the Stones 6-7 times and maybe three times I've seen him strap it on. He obviously isn't famous in the context that Scout was trying to portray him (on the same level as Slash). Jagger is a much better harmonica player...the guitar playing is more of a prop.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:14 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BirdBrain wrote:
Jagger plays a "little" guitar..I've seen the Stones 6-7 times and maybe three times I've seen him strap it on. He obviously isn't famous in the context that Scout was trying to portray him (on the same level as Slash). Jagger is a much better harmonica player...the guitar playing is more of a prop.

OK...since you haven't seen him play but a little that means he can't play but a little. Who do you think is better...Jagger or the Asian kid? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:03 pm 

OK for you BB will throw Jagger out and put Pat Metheny,Dean Brown,Larry Carlton in there. I would love to see a conversation between this kid and Moses Malone.No one could make out what they were saying. Of course the kid has an excuse since he is to young but if an alien came to earth and found these two and wanted to know what form of language they spoke they would probably ask so this is the English language. :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:15 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

OK...since you haven't seen him play but a little that means he can't play but a little. Who do you think is better...Jagger or the Asian kid? :lol:

"I'll play guitar if I've written it, or even if I haven't. ... I know what I'm good at, and I know what I really can't do." - Mick Jagger, 1968 ...

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

A much better rendition of "Satisfaction".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUJXms4v ... re=related

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:23 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BirdBrain wrote:
backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

"I'll play guitar if I've written it, or even if I haven't. ... I know what I'm good at, and I know what I really can't do." - Mick Jagger, 1968 ...

You said he doesn't play guitar. You didn't say he didn't play it much or well and, furthermore, though I am not as good as some I could not play a lick in 1968. I can play a little now. That was 40 years ago. He has no doubt become more accomplished since then then when he said in your quote "I'll play guitar..." As I said the other day, you are never wrong until you say you're wrong. Remind me of the Black Knight in Monty Python's "Holy Grail" sometimes. In other words, never mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNm1J3ifDfQ
One of my all time favorite Stones tunes...recorded in the late 60s. Jagger on guitar along with Mick Taylor, one of the most under rated players in rock and roll. Probably did this one when you saw him, Bill. We are known to massacre this tune ourselves in local pubs. The solo at the end by Taylor raises the hair on my arms almost every time i hear and check out Nicky Hopkins on piano. This tune has inertia.

Last edited by backnblack on Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:28 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:
backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

You said he doesn't play guitar. You didn't say he didn't play it much or well and, furthermore, though I am not as good as some I could not play a lick in 1968. I can play a little now. That was 40 years ago. He has no doubt become more accomplished since then then when he said in your quote "I'll play guitar..." As I said the other day, you are never wrong until you say you're wrong. Remind me of the Black Knight in Monty Python's "Holy Grail" sometimes. In other words, never mind...

:rofl: "it's only a flesh wound!"

BnB you do yourself a great disservice. You are a good guitar player, and a fantastic songwriter. I know your humility would keep you from admitting it, but it is the truth. :so:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:33 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

fun gus wrote:
backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:
backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

BnB you do yourself a great disservice. You are a good guitar player, and a fantastic songwriter. I know your humility would keep you from admitting it, but it is the truth. :so:

Look, no matter what you say I'm not paying you back that $20 I borrowed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:37 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
fun gus wrote:
backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:
backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

Look, no matter what you say I'm not paying you back that $20 I borrowed.

Doh!

Not to demean the hawiian kid....But check out this kid: his name is Hunter Hayes, and he got up on stage with Hank Jr and thousands of screaming rednecks and pulled this off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI34btfxRu4

saw this kid YEARS ago on some daytime Montel type show, and he kicked ass. He was barely taller then his SB and was ruling it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:45 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Falconbob from the Roost used to play bass with Hank, Jr. I was wondering if the camera would catch him. The funny thing is the way I found out Bobby had that gig was in a conversation once I mentioned this guy I used to play with down here who had moved to nashville and it turned out he knew him and had inherited the bass gig with hank from him. But the funny part is that my friend was this monster jazz player and would have been mortified early in his life if you had told him he would be playing with Hank! BTW, Hank can play his butt off on guitar.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:35 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I was watching "Lets spend the night together", a Rolling Stones movie of their 1982 tour, and low and behold Mick decides to pick up a guitar halfway through the concert. Their cover of "Just my Imagination"....was good. Except Mick really wasn't playing, as much as it was a prop. It was clear, as I had seen before in other concerts, he was always in one chord..rarely changing his hand position.He even unplugged the jack and still was strumming it for the effect. That was the extent of him picking up the guitar. Just as I remember it in the 6-7 times I've seen them play as well. He isn't a very good guitar player. It is a curiosity to him, and used as a prop more than a serious gig.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:44 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BirdBrain wrote:
I was watching "Lets spend the night together", a Rolling Stones movie of their 1982 tour, and low and behold Mick decides to pick up a guitar halfway through the concert. Their cover of "Just my Imagination"....was good. Except Mick really wasn't playing, as much as it was a prop. It was clear, as I had seen before in other concerts, he was always in one chord..rarely changing his hand position.He even unplugged the jack and still was strumming it for the effect. That was the extent of him picking up the guitar. Just as I remember it in the 6-7 times I've seen them play as well. He isn't a very good guitar player. It is a curiosity to him, and used as a prop more than a serious gig.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:51 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

:lol:

:ninja:

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/mic ... s_personal

For his fourth solo record -- and first since 1993's Wandering Spirit -- Mick Jagger went back to basics. "A lot of the album is just based on me playing a guitar, and then getting other people involved," says Jagger, who plans to release Goddess in the Doorway in November. "So I'm playing an awful lot, which as it goes on gets erased by other people coming in and playing better, but it's all based on those parts I originally created."
Jagger has some impressive help, including collaborations with Lenny Kravitz, Wyclef Jean and Matchbox Twenty's Rob Thomas. Bono adds vocals to one track, and Pete Townshend and Aerosmith's Joe Perry contribute guitars. "I don't believe in having bands for solo records," says Jagger. "It's pointless. I mean, I've got a very good band in the other world."

The album comes during a bustle of creativity from Jagger. In addition to starring in a new film by George Hickenlooper, The Man From Elysian Fields (which also features Andy Garcia, James Coburn and Anjelica Huston), he's the subject of an upcoming documentary by Kevin Macdonald, whose film One Day in September, about Palestinian terrorists taking Israeli hostages at the 1972 Munich Olympics, won an Oscar last year. "My goal is to try to present a character portrait of Mick Jagger, this extraordinary, really kind of enigmatic man who's also a survivor," says Macdonald. "I wanted to do a movie about him now. The thing about Mick is that he's still going passionately and strongly. I wanted to do a profile of that character."

Asked if he's giving Macdonald the sort of great access that Elton John gave his boyfriend David Furnish for the documentary Tantrums and Tiaras, Jagger says there are limits. "Kevin and I are both pretty straight, heterosexual men, I think, up to a point," he says with a chuckle.

For Goddess in the Doorway, Jagger produced five tracks with former Stones keyboardist Matt Clifford and another five with Aerosmith collaborator Marti Frederiksen. The Frederiksen tracks include the up-tempo "Everybody Get High" and a ballad called "Don't Call Me Up," with a strong vocal from Jagger. Jagger and longtime friend Kravitz co-wrote the song "God Gave Me Everything," while Thomas teamed up with Jagger for "Visions of Paradise." "I got there like twenty minutes early, and I was playing a couple songs," Thomas recalls of the session. "He came in and started singing along, just this f**** gold. It's good to know that Mick's still a guy that gets an idea in his head, picks up a pen and goes with it."

Other highlights include the title track, which Jagger describes as "a mystical dance track," and "Joy," which features Bono's vocals. Most recently, Jagger and Wyclef produced a new, reggae-tinged track in New York.

"It's one of those sessions I'll remember for the rest of my life," says Wyclef. "I did it as a fusion of hip-hop meets rock, the style of rock that Mick does, the real authentic rock with the right guitar sounds and stuff. His [vocal] chops were pretty incredible, definitely real hot -- the minute the track comes on you'll be able to hear it's definitely hot."

When he was making the record, Jagger says, he had no set mission. "I was really just coming from a songwriting point of view, rather than 'I want to do a rap album,' or 'I want to do an album of ballads or an album of blues,' or something of that kind," he says. "It's a mixture of traditional things and more contemporary things. It's very much based on the actual songs themselves."

The material was written and demoed "at home in various sort of rooms around the world," Jagger says. "I just sort of kept working it up. I didn't redo it all again with an enormous amount of musicians. So a lot of it just retains the original spark of the idea, which is kind of fun. I've never really done it like that before."

"It's probably not quite as loose as a Stones thing," adds Frederiksen, "but a couple of tracks have that feel. It all ties together pretty well." As for Jagger's guitar playing, Frederiksen admits to being surprised. "Mick's got a good touch," he reports. "I have a feeling he played on more Stones records than people think."

As for how the album differs from a Stones recording, Jagger explains, "It can be more personal, and I think it's nice to have a change and work with other people. It's refreshing, and then you go back to the other thing in a slightly different frame of mind, which I think is good for both things."

Fin.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:12 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I have a feeling this is all a big show. I've seen him play numerous times. He isn't that good. But there are a lot of "musicians" out there who think they are...I understand it is a sensitive subject. A great jazz guy once told me that the biggest egos in the world reside in the heads of second level musicians.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:28 am 

BirdBrain wrote:
I have a feeling this is all a big show. I've seen him play numerous times. He isn't that good. But there are a lot of "musicians" out there who think they are...I understand it is a sensitive subject. A great jazz guy once told me that the biggest egos in the world reside in the heads of second level musicians.

Hahahaha, :lol: BB I love that quote. I remember reading in Miles Davis book all these important people were invited to the White House and all were sitting down eating dinner. Some lady asked Miles well what do you do and he asked well I changed music 3-4 times meaning he was at the forefront of chaning stiles of jazz but Miles thought she was snotty and called her a bitch..........I think I remember that story correctly.

Miles had an ego that's for sure and Wynton Marsallies went to a concert and decided to join in the concert without even asking at the stage.Brought his trumpet up and played never mind he was crashing someone else's gig.

On the flip side Michael Brecker was a fierce practicer and seemed very reserved in meeting people.The things he can do in regards to playing are just genius but never thought of himself that way.Inm fact he would spend hours on the phone trying to cheer someone up who might have decided to throw in the towel in music or just being a friend to cheer them up.

Profile E-mail