All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Manager told Nicolas Cage about his lavish lifestyle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:18 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

fun gus wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:
[
So, just to make sure I'm understanding you. You really believe that there are NO starving children in America. Starving isn't just little black babies with protruding bellies. That is the classic petit bourgeois definition. Starving is not getting the adequate nutrients, and slowly dying as a result from the developing disease process.This goes on in many areas of the country.

Jane was right. She was right about the war as well...

Interesting that Ms Fonda has issued 2 'apologies', no? One, where she corrected herself saying there were 'starving' kids in North Georgia, and one where she apologised for going to Vietnam on 20/20..So that's 2 times she admitted she 'might be wrong'. Something I have yet to see you do. :wink:

As mentioned previously, I have worked with Hosea's charity, and even the great Hosea Williams wasn't deluded enough to believe there are 'starving' kids here. But, since you have been on those 'planes' in Europe with Mr Tebow, I guess I'll take your 'word' for it. :lol:

Your semantics about 'nutrients' in judging actual real 'starving' people is telling..Saying any child in the USA is truly 'starving' is, in fact, a great insult to real starving kids everywhere else. To me, that's like saying there's 'poverty' or 'poor' people here..Well, of course, by our standard, yes. But any grown person that isn't trolling because they had thier feelings hurt in a political debate can objectively look at the big picture: and our 'poor' folks would be considered quite 'well off' in comparison to many,many other truly destitute living humans all over the world.

I suggest you get back on some of those 'planes' you speak of and take another look. :beef:

Fonda is (was) trying to correct her legacy, and sell her books. She tends to go back and forth on what she meant going to Nam...depending on who she is speaking to at the time.

I can tell you don't understand what poverty really is...you are one of those guys who go work at the shelter, then ride home in your SUV , sitting your fat butt down to a real dinner with heat and a nice bed free of rats and roaches. You can't possibly rationalize that "excess is great", and sincerely care about the people living in squalor just miles from your house.

Why would my feelings be hurt??? I am looking at the big picture, which includes millions of hungry children in the USA....starving children. Just because they don't fit your sordid description of what hunger really is (is) disgusting. Because their level of starvation isn't in accordance with yours they are "better off" because they live in America?? Believe me, the level of poverty in America feels just as bad there as it does anywhere else, because hunger hurts. The kid in the projects in Oakland doesn't tell himself that he has to be strong because there are children with even worse hunger 15,000 miles away.Pain and despair doesn't work like that, not with an abundance of food right around the corner.

Basically you are saying America's hunger is good hunger, because it isn't as bad as it is elsewhere. That is just plain pathetic, and classic wacko thinking. You have a serious blind spot Gus. One that makes you miss the obvious going on all around you.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:08 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Let's put this to bed.

Here are 12 'documented' cases of Starvation in the USA. Find me a case where a child died from starvation due to no access to food or medicine, and I will do what I have done in the past: admit I was wrong.

In all 12 cases, the parents were prosecuted criminally: and had intended thier children to starve.

the findings were that "The families of all children in our series had access to medical care and resources, and all victims had siblings to whom food and medical care was provided, many within the period of time that the victim was starving."

Also, this published study found that "Starvation is an uncommon but potentially lethal presentation of child maltreatment in the United States. A careful history, including documentation of food availability and intake, is helpful in distinguishing intentional from unintentional starvation."

Read that again" uncommon. Potential. By the time you finish reading this post, another child somewhere in the world will have died from starvation. Not, intentional, 'crackhead mama' starvation, but real, oh sh*t, we aint got no food starvation.

Like I said: there is a difference between hungry and starving. "The kid in the projects in Oakland doesn't tell himself that he has to be strong because there are children with even worse hunger 15,000 miles away", but his mother should. Mine sure did. But the kid dying in a favela in Brazil or the slums of India, likewise, doesn't bemoan the fact that there is another kid in Oakland that will live, while they die.

This is the reason why Ms Fonda has done something you have shown a willing disregard to do: admit when she was wrong.

if you want proof, or to look at some very disturbing pics:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... 116/6/1309

You can think whatever you wish: But Hosea, a man who has travelled to the worst parts of the world and seen the worst parts of the USA knew damn well that our kids weren't 'starving'. In fact, Hosea famously gave Ms Fonda the 'cold shoulder' when she testified before the UN last decade, and the restaurant he was known to frequent 'Chops', refused her service in 1999 on his recommendation..I first became aquainted with Hosea as a young teacher when his grandchild, Owadele was in my class~ and Hosea used to come and try to pick him up in his caddy even though everyone in the city knew he lost his license from numerous DUI's. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:04 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

So you went from just "no starvation in the USA", to 12 cases "whom had no access to medical care or food". Keep changing the original argument and you may get it right. Until then , you are still way off base.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:08 pm 

Wow, we go from Nic Cage to world hunger. This thread has certainly been derailed. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:13 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

[quotebase="BirdBrain"]So you went from just "no starvation in the USA", to 12 cases "whom had no access to medical care or food"..[/quote]

reading is Fundamental:
" Find me a case where a child died from starvation due to no access to food or medicine, and I will do what I have done in the past: admit I was wrong."

"The families of all children in our series had access to medical care and resources, and all victims had siblings to whom food and medical care was provided, many within the period of time that the victim was starving."

try to keep up, old man. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:10 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02697.html

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:22 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

BirdBrain wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/11/AR2009121102697.html

Again, hunger and starvation are 2 different animals.

The article points out "Even when children are not hungry, studies have found that slight shortages of food in their homes are associated with serious problems. "

"In Philadelphia, researchers found that, during the first half of this year, one in five homes with a baby or toddler did not have enough food. And one of every dozen young children was outright hungry, a rate twice that of the same period the year before. "

"At W.G. Smith Elementary School in South Philadelphia, 155 of the school's 380 students came for a free breakfast on a recent Monday. Many parents simply bring their children to school too late. "

for the 'free food' :snooty:

In retrospect, the World Food Programme lists all the countries where a shortage of foods or access to foods is causing real problems:

http://www.wfp.org/countries

note the USA is not on that list..Interestingly enough here are a list of the countries that are trying to help:

The largest donors were the United States (US$24 billion), Japan (US$18 billion), the United Kingdom (US$13 billion), Germany and France (US$12 billion each), the Netherlands (nearly US$6 billion), Spain and Italy (just over US$4 billion each) representing 80 percent of the total
(Source: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, 2007)

nice try, Herr Hosenscheisser! :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:34 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

irresistible force meets immovable object

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:59 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

fun gus wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/11/AR2009121102697.html

The article points out "Even when children are not hungry, studies have found that slight shortages of food in their homes are associated with serious problems. "

"In Philadelphia, researchers found that, during the first half of this year, one in five homes with a baby or toddler did not have enough food. And one of every dozen young children was outright hungry, a rate twice that of the same period the year before. "

"At W.G. Smith Elementary School in South Philadelphia, 155 of the school's 380 students came for a free breakfast on a recent Monday. Many parents simply bring their children to school too late. "

In retrospect, the World Food Programme lists all the countries where a shortage of foods or access to foods is causing real problems:

note the USA is not on that list..Interestingly enough here are a list of the countries that are trying to help:

The largest donors were the United States (US$24 billion), Japan (US$18 billion), the United Kingdom (US$13 billion), Germany and France (US$12 billion each), the Netherlands (nearly US$6 billion), Spain and Italy (just over US$4 billion each) representing 80 percent of the total

Saying that there is no hunger in America was embarrassing enough for you. Now you say it isn't "REAL" enough of a problem. How about Autism??? Is that real enough for you???

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:38 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

BirdBrain wrote:
fun gus wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

Saying that there is no hunger in America was embarrassing enough for you. Now you say it isn't "REAL" enough of a problem. How about Autism??? Is that real enough for you???

never said there was no 'hunger'. I said we did not have any 'starving' kids. And I am right, we don't. :naughty:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:12 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

fun gus wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:
fun gus wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

never said there was no 'hunger'. I said we did not have any 'starving' kids. And I am right, we don't. :naughty:

That is semantics, and you know it. You lose.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:02 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

BirdBrain wrote:

In a battle of semantics, there are no winners or losers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:12 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Pudge wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

In a battle of semantics, there are no winners or losers.

There is no battle. He never got off the tarmac.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:09 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What's this really all about? Why the remark about autism?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:22 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

backnblack wrote:

When you mock others hunger, calling it not sufficient enough to be called starving, then obviously you have a problem "connecting" with what hunger really feels like. Some people can only understand what is going on around them, their world is that small. Empathy extends to all, it shouldn't end at the end of your own driveway.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:40 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:

BB is only demonstrating his 'class', really. It is this kind of behavior that has had him removed from other message boards, and 99.9% of his own family doesn't like the guy by his own admission. Doesn't bother me.

I'll let the readers decide if I was truly 'mocking hunger'. I maintain I was mocking my mom, who heard a remark that Georgia has kids 'starving to death' from Jane Fonda... Cmon, who here hasn't heard from thier parents at one time or another that there are 'starving kids, now finish your peas', or some such crapola? :wink:

BB can claim semantics all he wants, but go back and reread all these posts. Find the one where I mocked hungry kids. Or find one where I said we dont have hungry kids or malnutrition. It's not there. This thread about Nicholas Cage devolved into a discussion about whether the USA is a country of 'excess'. Now, IMO, this counrty may have hungry kids, may have kids not getting 3 squares, but the one thing we absolutely do not do is stand by and watch kids starve. Look at my posts: I have found only 12 documented cases of starvation in the last 26 years, and in every case these kids were starving because thier crazy parents were doing it on purpose. Not because they didn't have food or medical access provided, because they did. Thier parents were druggies that didnt want thier kids so they did not feed them..Thats a long way from kids in NIcaragua or India, where they dont even have the access to food...I asked BB to find me some proof of other 'starving' kids, and he comes up with a Wash Post article about 'researchers' saying kids in Philly are malnourished, and in the article he posts, they even admit that there is a program to help feed these kids, but (again) thier own parents dont even get them to the schol on time for the free food provided!

BB's dislike of this country is well documented. He's free to feel that way.I do not share his views. NOt only do we not let kids starve to death, this country gives more per capita then any other country in the world to combat true starvation, double that of enlightened 'Germany'. Now, if saying this means I am somehow 'mocking' hungry kids here, then that is semantics of the first order. :beef:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:38 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Last edited by backnblack on Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:26 am 

Another lawsuit for Nicolas Cage. I have a feeling will be seeing more bad dud movies.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... index.html

Profile E-mail