It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does Vista Operating System Still Have Major Bugs ?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:06 pm 

I am thinking about getting another computer maybe by years end if not earlier. Here is my question those of you who have Vista as your operating system do you still have bugs in your system that are major? Does it really have more bugs than Windows XP ? Any problem with hooking up your printer,speakers does Vista recognize them? Were you one of the lucky ones and didn't have to deal with many problems? I have a Dell computer that I purchased in 1998 and believe it is time for something new. Its been a real good computer but 11 yrs and all the things I look for like speed,memory,harddrive size I just need an upgrade.

I am more a P C man than a Mac man.I just don't want to convert over and would rather stay with a Dell computer. Anyone else own a Dell computer if so what type. I like Dell because they are easy to open up and fix or add memory etc etc.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Does Vista Operating System Still Have Major Bugs ?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:55 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Mac is awesome.

I've been using Macs primarily since 2004.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:29 am 

I was looking around and found this Mac at Best Buy.The reviews most seem outstanding.Question is it easy to put memory upgrades in? I am so used to easily opening my Dell computer and putting a harddrive in,add memory? The price is steep but from the reviews it looks like an outstanding computer.I've had my Dell for 11 yrs if I got this Mac maybe 15 -20 years?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8022628179

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:57 am 
Superstar
Superstar

thescout wrote:
I was looking around and found this Mac at Best Buy.The reviews most seem outstanding.Question is it easy to put memory upgrades in? I am so used to easily opening my Dell computer and putting a harddrive in,add memory? The price is steep but from the reviews it looks like an outstanding computer.I've had my Dell for 11 yrs if I got this Mac maybe 15 -20 years?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8022628179

11 years on a computer? Wow, it must be unbearably slow now. I would not count on getting 15 years from any computer. The HDD will fail, the video will go out, and the machine will simply not be able to to what you want it to do - even surf the web. Of course it looks like you change the HDDs and add memory, but 15 years on a MoBo and CPU is asking a lot.

Vista does not seem to have any major issues. That being said, Windows 7 is about here and Vista will not be the standard OS - I would take any computer co up on the offer to give you Windows 7 if the machine is equipped with Vista just so you have a longer lifespan on the OS. Vista is fast, usable, and stable. it is very easy to use.

I am not a Mac cultist and think you overpay for what you get. I think the difference between the Mac and a PC are not as great as they used to be. If you switch to FF , you eliminate, for the most part the virus advantage.

If money is not an issue, get what you want, but if you are looking bang for buck. go PC.
W

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:08 pm 

I just got a new iMac back in May, and the previous one I had lasted me 5 years. Yeah, 11 years. You've must have made a ton of upgrades to the hard drive, RAM, etc. to have a computer last more than 5 years.

If you're plan is to have a computer for 15-20 years, then I suggest you go PC.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:25 pm 

Hey Wease and Pudge, thans for the input that gives me some food for thought on buying a PC. The Dell computer was a budget top of the line computer and it has served me well. I don't get into games on a PC just internet and downloading files. I have upgraded the memory a few times and put in a 250 GB harddrive but those are the main components. While I appreciate all the biggest and fastest PCs that come out yearly I don't really need all the bells and whistles that some need.

After reading those reviews on the MAC from Best buy I might check it out to see what it is about. What I don't want is to overspend on a computer and Vista as me a little worried.Well the advantage buying at a store is I can take it back so if it doesn't work out I'll get the other computer.I bought my Dell from their website and was able to customize it. I don't know how hard it is to open a Mac computer to put in memory.

I will say I look at all avenues before I buy something expensive. Wease, it helps when you said that Vista doesn't have any major issues.I just started looking somewhat seriously now since I am getting tired of my computer shutting off( monitor) when I start it up. I think it as something to do with the comp uter overheating and the fan not cooling in time? I don't need a Porsche but a good reliable computer so that is what I am hunting for. Thanks guys for your input.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:23 pm 

I just went up to the Best Buy store to take a look at the IMAC and what can I say.Holy cow it's like a rolls royce compared to mine and the pc computers. I am talking about the 24 inch Imac that I posted earlier on this thread. A great picture,no tower everything is built into the monitor and no need for virus protection. I don't know what the inside of an Apple computer looks like since it's built into the monitor but hopefully its easy to upgrade software if needed.Any one have experience adding memory or new hard drive in a IMAC?

Man, the IMAC has me excited and I'll splurge once the insurance money gets here.I don't buy big ticket items often but when I do I want it to be top quality.I can't get over the picture and size of a 24 inch screen. Right now I'm on a 19 i nch bulky old monitor.It'll be a new feeling when I move somewhere just carring a li ghtweight monitor for my whole computer instead of tower,heavy monitor.I've been living in the dark ages time to upgrade big time soon.

Here's a question for anyone will the files I have on my pc transfer over to the IMAC? I think they should since both would run on similar software. Well I need a bit of excitement since the last 2 weeks have been like being in hell somewhat.When I get my new toy I may not come out of the room for days. :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:56 pm 

Here's another question about the IMAC.I've been looking at the tutorials on Apple about Imac still didn't find the answer. My favorites on a PC what do you use on IMAC to replace My Favorites? Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:48 pm 

I said go with the PC just because I'm betting is much easier to customize (i.e. cracking the thing open and tinkering inside) since I'm sure you've done it numerous times over the past 11 years. I doubt it's too difficult with the iMac, but obviously if you've been fixing Oldsmobiles for a long time, it's going to take some transition (and perhaps a few headaches) to start fixing up a Lexus. :wink:

What exactly are My Favorites? I've been away from PCs too long because I'm not sure what you're talking about unless you're talking about bookmarks.

As for software, most software that you use on PC you can use on Macs, at least almost all mainstream software. And many of the other programs usually have a slightly diminished Mac equivalent if not superior product.

I have no idea what programs you use, but in my ears of making the switch, the only things I've "missed" are VirtualDub, Microsoft Access, and Google Chrome.

One of the positives of getting a Mac is you begin to appreciate QuickTime a lot more. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:54 pm 

My Favorites on a PC is when you like a website you bookmark it which is added to your my favorites list for quick reference. You just click on the link on my favorites and it auto goes to the site.It just saves you time from having to type in the site over and over again.Do they have that on IMAC?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:58 pm 

No need to worry aobut me picking the Mac up quickly.I am not like Slow Jam. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:59 pm 

Well they definitely have bookmarks on Mac, because those are contained within your browser. If you have them in your browser, then you will have them regardless of the OS you use.

I know Firefox allows you to export your bookmarks to a different computer, by saving the file. Not sure if the other browsers do the same.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I'll just throw this out here. You'll love any 24'' screen, I just got one and its so awesome.

I have Vista and did not really have any problems but it was very different from XP. It was such a change!! (to me)
Although I heard all about the bugs I think it was just too different especially for guys who had to take years to
learn the windows 95 like me, then went smoothly to 98, XP, then the changes with Vista were just too hard
for the same outcome.

Windows is coming out in 2-3 months with Windows -5

That's what I was told at Best Buys. Does the fact very few understand Apple hinder you in any way? I
guess not..... although I don't ask many and you've already heard from a few that have Apple. Obviously I'm no
expert but would want to ask about Windows 5.

10 years---That was $3,000 now $800 almost top dollar unless you go crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:54 am 

Thanks Cyril for your input. When I saw the Apple 24 inch picture it blew me away.I haven't seen a PC with that kind of pic on the market .I think either way I will need to adapt whether it's a PC with Vista or Apple's own program. I read the reviews of the Apple computer I am thinking about and that looks like a spectacular computer. I'll ask about Windows 5.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:46 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

It's actually Windows 7 Scout.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:46 am 

The learning curve on Apple isn't that big. Frankly, Windows Vista was an attempt by Microsoft to copy the sleeker Apple OS X.

The difference on Apple is that there isn't much double clicking, to minimize and close windows is on the top left instead of the right, and you have to quit programs when you're finished with them, rather than just closing the window. Instead of the Start Menu, you have a Dock. Other than those things, there really isn't anything much different.

Honestly, there really isn't much difference between Apple and Windows. Apple is definitely sexier, but in terms of functionality there isn't a lot of difference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:48 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The 24 inch HP was only $250

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:48 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I have a 26 inch monitor and love it - and my old man eyes love it too.

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.