It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PC Monitors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:04 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Looking to replace my CRT monitor that's about five or so years old. It's really old and the screen is just pissing me off now... the black on the sides keep coming into the screen and shrinking it. It only goes up to 1024 x 768 and when I try to make it larger it makes your eyes hurt. The screen keeps getting bigger and then smaller when you're using it randomly and that also hurts my eyes. I'm wonder what company sells the best monitors, what size monitors should I buy (heard I should look around 20 inchers)?And if you have any other tips or suggestions. Or if you love your monitor now, tell me about it.

There are some deals on this forum I go to. Many of them are Samsungs. I have a Samsung HDTV 40" in my room so I don't know if it will look pretty ghey if I have a monitor and a TV that look exactly alike. There is something like a 22" Dell monitor that's around $87 after mail-in rebate that I'm thinking of getting but not sure if Dell makes any good computer parts.

I don't do a lot of gaming. I just browse the internet and watch TV series on my computer. Occasionally I'll play a game, but it's not like I have the best video card in the world (I have a stock vid-card from HP since my computer is pre-made but that's another topic). So yeah...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: PC Monitors
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:38 am 

I get alot of my info on computers/free downloads/reviews from Cnet.com. That site is great for info on computers but also look at eopinions.com and pcmag.com Eopinions and even Amazon you'll see posted reviews of about anything you want regardin electronics. Pcmag is a good site especially for downloads they give you all kinds of free stuff. Hope that helps Lib.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:37 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I'm leaning on this one.

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/as ... =mncol;lst

Any thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Go Big and Go to http://www.newegg.comgreat prices and lots of customer reviews of all equipment.

I got a 26" monitor last year from them for $399. Crappy speakers, but it had an HDMI port and as well as teh other ports so I can hook up any type of TV accesory to it. Sadly they don't seem to sell that model anymore, but there are all kinds of goodies there.

W

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:49 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I bought decent $30 speakers a few weeks ago before I thought of even buying a new monitor. It's not bad but the thing is, the light that turns on when the speakers are on are so strong and bright. I just put a precisely cut square electrical tape on it so you can somewhat see the blue when it's on.

The Asus that I'm looking at already has speakers, but from what I hear it's not that good, but I also read a review that it wasn't as bad as people were saying. I'm not sure what to think though. Should I just give these speakers away if those monitors' speakers are better / decent? Or should I just get a monitor without built-in speakers and use these alright speakers that I already have now?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:04 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I settled with going to Staples because someone told me that some sites would not accept returns even if there was a dead pixel if you ordered it from them. I was worried about that so I figured I should just go to a store that sells monitors and a store that I know has a good return policy. I settled with a 21.5" wide LCD monitor. Samsung 2233SW. I feel bad though since I was kinda questioning whether or not I should buy it there or online but I was really worried about the return policies so I panicked and bought it on the spot for $220. I looked it up online and it was only $160. Am I stupid? If it was stupid, I'm just going to return it to the store and risk the dead pixel thing online.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:27 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Okay nevermind. I'm rest assured. I looked online and Amazon was selling it for around $200 with shipping and handling. And they have a 10 dead pixel warranty, if only 10 pixels are dead then you can return it. Anything less than that you can't. I'm more rest assured with this extra $20 that I forked over for the better return policy.

Profile E-mail