It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crappy Season For Summer Movies So Far 2009
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:00 pm 

Crappy year for summer movies this year so far. While Transformers 2 did well at the box office it wasn't a great movie in my opinion. I am waiting for Woleverine to show up in the rental counter another movie that wasn't a blockbuster. The Taking of Pelham 123 I thought was a good movie with Travolta and Denzel plus it wasn't a sci fi like alot of the movies this summer. In August Julie and Julia should be a good comedy plus Inglorious Bastards with Brad Pitt which I am looking forward to seeing both.

I am really looking forward to seeing the Ameila Earhart movie with Hillary Swank,Richard Gere opens Oct 21st. Back to the summer movies seems like a down year for great quality movies at least so far. One movie I urge people to see is THE BOY IN THE STRIPPED PAJAMAS which I rented, you'll thank me later for seeing it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Crappy Season For Summer Movies So Far 2009
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:06 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I've enjoyed all the movies I've seen in theaters. Nothing, that changed my life, but that's not what the summer is for. It's for making big-time, bloated action or comedies that keep people entertained for 120 minutes.

Transformers 2, Wolverine, Terminator Salvation, and Star Trek are all movies that I'm sure I'll watch over and over again when they come on Cable in 10 months or so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:55 pm 

When I think of good quality summer movies I am thinking Spiderman 1, The Departed,Iron Man,Mission Impossible 1,2,3,Shrek,Ocean's 11 and Transformers 1. So far I don't see any of the 2009 Summer movies meassuring up yet to these past movies. There are plenty of B+ movies but I am looking for a solid A. Star Trek might be doing very well at the box office plus Transformers 2 but i still don't see them being a solid A grade. Star Trek had to many holes in it for example some of the character lines or actions didn't seem to fit with their personality from the original Star Trek series and the whole plot with the Romulons or was it klingons just didn't have enoguh action for me.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the young Kirk and the things that led up to James Kirk joing Star fleet, how Spock became part of Star Fleet, yes there were some good moments. The summer movie season isn't over we have a good 6 weeks so I hope upcoming movies like Inglorious Bastards, Julie and Julia etc do well for the movie fans.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:16 pm 

Well, first off the Departed came out in late September, which I wouldn't consider a summer release. And the only Ocean's movie that was a summer release was Ocean's 13.

Personally, I think Mission Impossible 2 is one of the worst movies ever made. I think the first Shrek is a bit overrated.

I think it's all about expectations.

I think Star Trek is good. I think all the characters were spot on. I guess that could have had reasonably high expectations given it was directed by J.J. Abrams (Mission Impossible 3) and was a remake. But IMHO, I think it's every bit as good as MI3. If MI3 gets an A grade, then IMO, then Star Trek does too.

Of the others movies, I don't see why there would be high enough expectations to be even mildly disappointed. Maybe Terminator Salvation, given it was Christian Bale. But again, I thought it was a good movie. Did it blow me away like T2 did way back in 1991? No. But T2 is one of those landmark films that came out that like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and the Matrix, changed the landscape for special effects in movies. But I think the special effects were sweet, the story was good. The only thing I really have to complain about it was Christian Bale's performance, particularly his gruff way of speaking. That works for Batman, but seemed out of place here. I'm a big Bale fan, but his gruff soliloquys into the radio were the worst part of the movie.

As for Wolverine and Transformers 2, I think that's just a matter of too high expectations for those movies. Both movies were entertaining in my book, but I never had any expectations that they would be good movies that I'd remember years from now as movies that I'd compare other movies to.

Look I'm not going to try and convince you to like a movie. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, then you don't.

But I'm not disappointed at all with this summer's slate of movies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:29 pm 

I take it your not a fan of the old Star Trek Series , Pudge? Some of the things the the new Star Trek did in ways of personality aspect were off base to me. I guess I look for 1 or 2 top rated movie per summer but mostly we get good movies. I am also a big Christian Bale fan with the Batman movies and the movie he made with Hugh Jackman being two of his best. We still have a ways to go till end of the summer movie season. Funny People with Adam Sandler hopefully is a good one. He's had some clunkers will see what happens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:26 pm 

The original series was well before my time, and it's not one of those shows that was widely syndicated, at least not in my area when I was growing up. So I have no firm attachment to the original show besides watching the movies.

IMHO, I thought all of the actors caught the essences of their characters.

Chris Pine was not Shatner, but IMHO that's a good thing. The essence of Kirk was his rebellious, suave, bravado I guess you could say, and I thought Pine pulled that off well.

Spock is all about logic vs. emotion, and I imagine a younger Spock fresh into StarFleet would have had a much greater conflict between his human and Vulcan sides. I think Zachary Quinto did an excellent job.

Uhura wasn't that fleshed out for me in the movies. But the gist of her seemed to be a very caring, intelligent person, and I think given that she had the least firm template, Zoe Saldana did a great job.

To me, Karl Urban nailed DeForest Kelly as Bones, at least the Bones that was in the movies. IMHO, he was really like a younger version of Kelly.

Simon Pegg was kind of goofy as Scotty, but I think Scotty was kind of goofy to begin with.

Anton Yelchin and John Cho I think did good jobs as Chekov and Sulu. For me, Chekov was mainly an accent. Since Yelchin did a pretty decent job there, he worked fine for me. Sulu was kind of this all-around every man for me, and I think Cho did a good job with that.

Now because I didn't see more than a handful of episodes of the original series, I don't have these rigid ideas about who the characters are in my head. I know for others, when they think Kirk, they immediately think Shatner, etc. So for me, I was much more open to the idea that Kirk could still be Kirk without being Shatner.

I could really buy each of those actors being the younger versions of their characters. And I would definitely look forward to seeing how they were fleshed out in future movies or a TV series.

Profile E-mail