It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin Quits As Govenor Of Alaska
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:08 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

thescout wrote:
Well Fun Gus I agree with you and have known since Palin was the vice president candidate the media has built Palin in to some demi goddess who can do no wrong. I mean haven't we had enough of Palin grabbing headlines because Dave Letterman did a distasteful joke or Levin Jones antics trying to get his 15 minutes of fame and Palin needs to grab the headlines because of someone trying to discredit her daughter? Why the media keeps covering her when she has proven her speeches are supbpar and have no substance is beyond me. What Palin does have is good looks, a down to earth next door neighbor attitude where " you bettcha" , Absolutely. Yup, yup.” –Sarah Palin after being asked by People magazine if she was ready to be a heartbeat away from the presidency,“As for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day?” –Sarah Palin, interview with CNBC’s “Kudlow & Co”, July 2008.

I know Obama people didn't give him much of a chance those thinking Palin might be president 2012 are off their rocker. I guess there is a market for a ex govenor who somehow rials people up with the slang she uses and she will cash in her chips while she can. Crazier things have happened before maybe Palin is around for a long time but she seems like she'll grab the money and ride off into the sunset.

now here's the craziest thing:

We both believe that uncaged, BO and Palin would be old school, bareknuckle style. But, her whole 'waaah I am a mom" defense pretty much did it in for me. That would make me very umpopular freeper. But cmon. guys if the media wasnt in the tank this go round........I give up. I will jys go with my misguided view of history

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:33 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'm not really a fan of hers and am a little perplexed as to what she is planning but I do feel that she was treated unnecessarily harshly by the media. Couric's face just had derision and contempt all over it. Of course, Palin helped make Katie's job pretty easy. She has a populist appeal that could come into play with the right wingers if Obama sickens them enough swinging left. It's a pendulum and it unfailingly goes back and forth. If someone told you in 1972 that Ronald Reagan was going to win two landslide elections in the 80s you would have thought they had flipped. And he wasn't exactly a genius either. Sadly, our electorate seems to pick reps by whether or not we'd like to have a beer and/or sex with them. Quitting mid term is sorry as hell but if she is just blowing a bunch of smoke about protecting her fam, etc., and winds up running for Pres anyway then all apologies to katie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:59 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
I'm not really a fan of hers and am a little perplexed as to what she is planning but I do feel that she was treated unnecessarily harshly by the media. Couric's face just had derision and contempt all over it. Of course, Palin helped make Katie's job pretty easy. She has a populist appeal that could come into play with the right wingers if Obama sickens them enough swinging left. It's a pendulum and it unfailingly goes back and forth. If someone told you in 1972 that Ronald Reagan was going to win two landslide elections in the 80s you would have thought they had flipped. And he wasn't exactly a genius either. Sadly, our electorate seems to pick reps by whether or not we'd like to have a beer and/or sex with them. Quitting mid term is sorry as hell but if she is just blowing a bunch of smoke about protecting her fam, etc., and winds up running for Pres anyway then all apologies to katie.

Not only Palin, but Hillary too, and I'm not a Hillary fan...(BnB I dont know if you noticed but I lost a bet and had to put a Hillary sticker on my mexican accordion...I am always amazed at the contempt I see in peoples faces when they see that sticker. Even the Obamanots, they would look at that sticker and scowl. The only ones that 'got it' were the actual mexicans themselves)

I tell ya htis last election was a real wake up call for those types that really dont believe in the vast majority of old school media members being in the tank. I mean, if you cant see the obvious :roll: .

I'm not naive enough to think Palin is something she's not. If she proves me wrong, and pops up in 2012, I guess I'll lose another bet and have to put a Palin sticker on my cajun aaccordion :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:55 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

fun gus wrote:
backnblack wrote:

Not only Palin, but Hillary too, and I'm not a Hillary fan...(BnB I dont know if you noticed but I lost a bet and had to put a Hillary sticker on my mexican accordion...I am always amazed at the contempt I see in peoples faces when they see that sticker. Even the Obamanots, they would look at that sticker and scowl. The only ones that 'got it' were the actual mexicans themselves)

I tell ya htis last election was a real wake up call for those types that really dont believe in the vast majority of old school media members being in the tank. I mean, if you cant see the obvious :roll: .

I'm not naive enough to think Palin is something she's not. If she proves me wrong, and pops up in 2012, I guess I'll lose another bet and have to put a Palin sticker on my cajun aaccordion :lol:

I did notice the Hillary sticker but the Obama shirt/bail out really kind of overshadowed it. I kind of think she will run the more I look at it. When does Alex Jones gte a network show? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Gus-

There is such a thing as a good Freeper? :lol: :lol: :lol: The left wing wackos are out there, but the Freepers are REALLY out there. What is funny is to scan the site and see how they fail to grasp the irony of their posts. Those following the Snowbilly mock the President calling him the "Messiah" yet in the same breath say that the Snowbilly is being called by god to run for President. On top of the irony, the fundamental misunderstanding of the bible and the delusion that a Supreme Omnicient Being would really care who became President is quite stunning in the mental illness department - BB can correct me if I am wrong, but that seem like schizophrenia to me.

As Roy Bragg (columnist for San Antonio News Express and extremely funny) put it on Friday, the high temp hit 450 degrees- the temp tin foil melts.

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:00 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Wease wrote:
Gus-

There is such a thing as a good Freeper? :lol: :lol: :lol: The left wing wackos are out there, but the Freepers are REALLY out there. What is funny is to scan the site and see how they fail to grasp the irony of their posts. Those following the Snowbilly mock the President calling him the "Messiah" yet in the same breath say that the Snowbilly is being called by god to run for President. On top of the irony, the fundamental misunderstanding of the bible and the delusion that a Supreme Omnicient Being would really care who became President is quite stunning in the mental illness department - BB can correct me if I am wrong, but that seem like schizophrenia to me.

As Roy Bragg (columnist for San Antonio News Express and extremely funny) put it on Friday, the high temp hit 450 degrees- the temp tin foil melts.

I've met a couple 'reasonable' Freepers. Mind you: a FEW. One of them was a guy I used to work for in am radio. Unlike his counterparts, he was fair and did not yell alot, so naturally he got canned :lol:

I know that being completely unbiased is not only impossible, but borderline foolish, but I am hoping against hope that this lady does what I suspect and shuns the limelight and worries a little more about her downie. If she turns out to be a fraud, then I'll just have to deal with it then. But, for now from my view, as a parent with an Autistic child, I would have done exactly what she did. All this speculation 'is she gearing up to run for POTUS' or 'she's just running away from her legal battles' is exactly the kind of crap I was talking about the media getting thier pound of flesh. Why is it so hard to accept that maybe she's sick and tired of getting kicked in the teeth, and she want's to spend more time with her special needs child, and after all the potus run up crap, wants to cash in? Why does there need to be some 'biblical' reason, or some 'political' reason? How about she's been crapped all over the likes of which Chelsea or Hillary couldn't even dream of and is thinking 'f*ck these people. I'm gonna make a zillion dollars, and whoever want to drive this sh*tbus can have it'. In New York second, my friend. I would do exactly that in a heartbeat.

Mind you: I think this is a politically disatrous move. Nobody likes a quitter, go ask Joe Leiberman. I think she just threw down any cards she had in national politics last week. I mean we all know about the right wing nuts who say Obama needs a birth cert, right? Can we all agree that's crazytown? Well, when an AP reporter and Olberman as well as Huffpo and Wash Post start a rumor that her disabled kid is actually the love child of her daughter, that is even more despicable: yet that occurs, and nobody thinks those creeps are as far out there as the right wing nuts. :roll:

And demeaning names like 'Snowbilly' etc, are just more of the same as calling Obama a muslim, IMHO. It screams more about the person levelling then name the actual person. I dont really take offense at it, though. I guess it's part of the deasl.

Here's an interesting anecdote: during the primary I had a convo with my sister, who is a classic feminazi in the mold of my departed mom ( an ex cop )and she was bemoaning the sexist treatment of Hillary, all the while calling Palin a 'bubblehead beauty pagent queen' and an 'ex weatherGIRL'. When I pointed out that was just as sexist as what she claimed was happening to Hillary she had to admit I was right. But, her 'perspective' was different due to her political beliefs. My older brother is another classic leftie, and he even went so far as to run and win a couple alderman seats up in Ohio. But, when he got a close look at all the crap going on he got out too, and went to teach college. And this is just a crappy city council type seat, imagine the unholy mess that lady saw.

I mean it's just hilarious. A sitting president gets a hummer and 'it's his personal business' but some fag from the midwest or Gov Sanford get busted and all bets are off. No holds barred. There is an obvious doublestandard there, IMHO. If your republican you either have to be a moron or an evil genius, but if your a democrat, then you've just got be a Rhodes scholar and helluva nice person. It like I was talking to my brother in law awhile back and he was complaing about Fox News being 'biased'. When I asked him if he thought CNN was 'biased' he said 'Hell No'. I just had to laugh. With people like that, there's just no reasoning with them 8-)

As to your point about the bible, I would counter the Bible ( which is supposed to be the word of God ) has plenty to say about Govt. Lest we forget Vegan Jesus himself (tm Pudge) had plenty of dealing with guys the likes of :
a. Caesar
b. Pilate
c. Herod
d. High priest
e. Sanhedrin
and if you buy into the whole fairytale then you also have to assume that God ( otherwise known as Smitty )did in fact care about who was ruling when his only begotten Son was tried and executed, right? This Roman passage might help clear things up :

( I cant believe I'm actually printing a Bible verse here. My sunday school teacher would have been proud )

1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:26 pm 

Fun Gus, I believe the speculation about Palin running is because of half the media believe she is the whip bearing, tobacco chewing,tough minded politician that will promote change. She ran for the Alaskan governship why not P resident. However since she had her child she may have changed her mind knowing it takes alot more time with a special needs child and may call the bluff, take the money and run. Will have to let it play out and see what happens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:05 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

fun gus wrote:
Wease wrote:
Gus-

I've met a couple 'reasonable' Freepers. Mind you: a FEW. One of them was a guy I used to work for in am radio. Unlike his counterparts, he was fair and did not yell alot, so naturally he got canned :lol:

I know that being completely unbiased is not only impossible, but borderline foolish, but I am hoping against hope that this lady does what I suspect and shuns the limelight and worries a little more about her downie. If she turns out to be a fraud, then I'll just have to deal with it then. But, for now from my view, as a parent with an Autistic child, I would have done exactly what she did. All this speculation 'is she gearing up to run for POTUS' or 'she's just running away from her legal battles' is exactly the kind of crap I was talking about the media getting thier pound of flesh. Why is it so hard to accept that maybe she's sick and tired of getting kicked in the teeth, and she want's to spend more time with her special needs child, and after all the potus run up crap, wants to cash in? Why does there need to be some 'biblical' reason, or some 'political' reason? How about she's been crapped all over the likes of which Chelsea or Hillary couldn't even dream of and is thinking 'f*ck these people. I'm gonna make a zillion dollars, and whoever want to drive this sh*tbus can have it'. In New York second, my friend. I would do exactly that in a heartbeat.

Mind you: I think this is a politically disatrous move. Nobody likes a quitter, go ask Joe Leiberman. I think she just threw down any cards she had in national politics last week. I mean we all know about the right wing nuts who say Obama needs a birth cert, right? Can we all agree that's crazytown? Well, when an AP reporter and Olberman as well as Huffpo and Wash Post start a rumor that her disabled kid is actually the love child of her daughter, that is even more despicable: yet that occurs, and nobody thinks those creeps are as far out there as the right wing nuts. :roll:

And demeaning names like 'Snowbilly' etc, are just more of the same as calling Obama a muslim, IMHO. It screams more about the person levelling then name the actual person. I dont really take offense at it, though. I guess it's part of the deasl.

Here's an interesting anecdote: during the primary I had a convo with my sister, who is a classic feminazi in the mold of my departed mom ( an ex cop )and she was bemoaning the sexist treatment of Hillary, all the while calling Palin a 'bubblehead beauty pagent queen' and an 'ex weatherGIRL'. When I pointed out that was just as sexist as what she claimed was happening to Hillary she had to admit I was right. But, her 'perspective' was different due to her political beliefs. My older brother is another classic leftie, and he even went so far as to run and win a couple alderman seats up in Ohio. But, when he got a close look at all the crap going on he got out too, and went to teach college. And this is just a crappy city council type seat, imagine the unholy mess that lady saw.

I mean it's just hilarious. A sitting president gets a hummer and 'it's his personal business' but some fag from the midwest or Gov Sanford get busted and all bets are off. No holds barred. There is an obvious doublestandard there, IMHO. If your republican you either have to be a moron or an evil genius, but if your a democrat, then you've just got be a Rhodes scholar and helluva nice person. It like I was talking to my brother in law awhile back and he was complaing about Fox News being 'biased'. When I asked him if he thought CNN was 'biased' he said 'Hell No'. I just had to laugh. With people like that, there's just no reasoning with them 8-)

As to your point about the bible, I would counter the Bible ( which is supposed to be the word of God ) has plenty to say about Govt. Lest we forget Vegan Jesus himself (tm Pudge) had plenty of dealing with guys the likes of :
a. Caesar
b. Pilate
c. Herod
d. High priest
e. Sanhedrin
and if you buy into the whole fairytale then you also have to assume that God ( otherwise known as Smitty )did in fact care about who was ruling when his only begotten Son was tried and executed, right? This Roman passage might help clear things up :

( I cant believe I'm actually printing a Bible verse here. My sunday school teacher would have been proud )

1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

word

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:06 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
fun gus wrote:
Wease wrote:
Gus-

a. Caesar
b. Pilate
c. Herod
d. High priest
e. Sanhedrin

word

To your mother! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:58 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

After reading this thread, and given Sarah Palin a few more seconds of thought :roll:

I think I'm gonna agree with fun gus here. I think she's quitting not because she is planning on running. I think she'll spend the next 2-3 years trying to maintain her popularity, and then come the 2012 election will try to use her "influence" to bolster one candidate or another that will run against Obama in '12. She'll basically become a Republican version of Al Gore. A person that lays in the shadows of politics, but who's endorsement is a big deal for those within the party.

Now obviously the question will be is she smart enough to stay relevant for another 2-3 years? Left to her own devices, I would say no. But I doubt she is. The Republicans are smart enough to get some shadow commission to handle her for the next few years so that when 2011 rolls around, people will still go goo-goo whenever and wherever she shows up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:11 pm 

My biggest question about Palin is why is she popular. Cetainly by quitting she as spurned many Republicans who drak the water and thought she was the real deal At least Gore was a Vice President but what as Palin accomplished other than being a govenor for 2 1/2 years?

The media can build you up perhaps out of nothing to great heights and while Palin came from a housewife to being govenor what has she accomplished? She is not the usual political candidate with her Palin slang terms but does she deserve all this attention? If your a Republican and get excited about Palin endorsing a candidate can you really be thrilled Palin has so much power in the party?

Certainly there are other female govenors who have a inpsiring story yet don't get the time of day from the media.If your a candidate running for President do you want Palin speaking on your behalf? You do just to get the Palin followers to vote for you but how many are left since quitting being govenor?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:01 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

thescout wrote:
My biggest question about Palin is why is she popular. Cetainly by quitting she as spurned many Republicans who drak the water and thought she was the real deal At least Gore was a Vice President but what as Palin accomplished other than being a govenor for 2 1/2 years?

I can easily answer that.
1: she's hot.
2: in order to get to where she is, she had to fight her own party, including a sitting incumbent governor, that appointed her to as high powered politcal post in order to shut her up that is most unusual.
3: she's not a 5 termer or a DC 'insider'. People on both sides are pretty tired of that, and she definitely was not one.
4: she has accomplished quite alot in terms of fiscal management.
5: her own constituents. As governor of Alaska, Palin's approval rating has ranged from a high of 93% in June 2007 to 54% in May 2009. Al Gore could not even carry his home state. :roll:

you would have to go back pretty far to find a Veep like that. Think about it: Gore, lifetime pol, son of one. Bush Sr? Same. CHeney five terms! Quayle: 4 terms. Mondale 7. Palin was a VP candidate that did not have the 'stain' of Maryland swamp all over her.

Now everytime I hear about how 'stupid' supposedly this woman is is a laugh riot. Compared to who? The guy with the 'shaky' science that's too scared to debate his own hot button issue, or that genius known as Joe Biden? That rocket scientist known as Ford? Or how about Jimmah Carter? The 'nuclear scientist' that got a Nobel prize for not bringing peace to the middle east, or installing a corrupt dictator down south that's now kicking Obama in the nuts by screwing up all the surrounding countries including Honduras? Really? This woman's a dumbass, but those clowns aren't? :roll:

Anyone who thinks she's a complete idiot, while looking at Biden with admiration has not only drank the kool-aid, that person has fermented it and got hammered off it. Interesting, Ferraro got the same criticism, and she pretty much told everybody that as well as Hillary.

If she looked like Madeline Albright and came from 6 terms in office, she would not be as popular. The 'media' if anything has done more to undermine this woman and smear her the likes of which has never been seen before, and has done now a whit to compel all her consitutents from loving her. Ever been up there? There are 3 men for every woman, and believe me if you 'saw' some of those beasts, you might fall in love with a polar bear like Mr Gore :lol:

The 'beautiful woman/idiot' syndrome is as old as man himself. Now, I'm not claiming she's mensa material, but in all honesty if we step back and compared just by looks alone Hillary, Ferraro or Palin without any of them opening thier traps who would you think was the 'smartest.?

Anytime I hear the 'moron' charge a red flag goes up for me because of the obvious doublestandard? Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:18 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
The Republicans are smart enough to get some shadow commission to handle her for the next few years so that when 2011 rolls around, people will still go goo-goo whenever and wherever she shows up.

Are you sure about that, Pudge? If anything the GOP and it's machinery has not had all that much success doing just that. Remember: she won as the only woman governor and the youngest ever against a Dem candidate that overspent her by 40% and a sitting incumbent governor that she ratted out for fraud, AFTER he appointed her to a nice cushy spot.

Now, she's holds the cards. Instead of having some shadow comission telling HER what to do, now she can raise a warchest and basically come 2011 can say ' Okay jackasses. Remember Perot? How well did that work out for ya'll? What's that? I did all the 'steppin and fetchin' the last dance, now I'm the boss. Piss me off a little and maybe I'll just toy with a 3rd party run, and you dont have one candidate that can beat Me AND Obama. Now get back to rubbin my feet and hooking me up with 25 grand corporate speaking fee's and maybe I wont destroy your little world. '

Someone tell me that isn't classic scorned woman psychology. Yeah, this is one stupid girl. Crazy like a Fox. Hey, she is a Fox! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:17 pm 

She could do that, fun gus, but call me a kool-aid drinker, but I don't think she's all that smart to be as manipulative as you need to be in politics. You can point to her victory in Alaska all you want, but I don't think it quite applies when you're put on the national stage.

As to why she is so popular, it's the same reason why George BUsh was popular. She's "real" in the sense that what you see is what you get. That appeals to a lot of Americans, who the "beer test" as bnb alluded to is very important for them.

Also the reason why she's popular is her politics. She's right wing, and with McCain who is viewed as a moderate as far as Republicans go, she's their go-to candidate. It's why Obama was more popular among most of the Democratic base because he's more left-wing than Hillary.

I'm not saying Palin is dumb, and perhaps all that happened in the last few months of the '08 election was a really strong learning experience for her. But if judging by what she was in October 2008, then I don't think she's all that bright.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:46 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
She could do that, fun gus, but call me a kool-aid drinker, but I don't think she's all that smart to be as manipulative as you need to be in politics. You can point to her victory in Alaska all you want, but I don't think it quite applies when you're put on the national stage.

As to why she is so popular, it's the same reason why George BUsh was popular. She's "real" in the sense that what you see is what you get. That appeals to a lot of Americans, who the "beer test" as bnb alluded to is very important for them.

Also the reason why she's popular is her politics. She's right wing, and with McCain who is viewed as a moderate as far as Republicans go, she's their go-to candidate. It's why Obama was more popular among most of the Democratic base because he's more left-wing than Hillary.

I'm not saying Palin is dumb, and perhaps all that happened in the last few months of the '08 election was a really strong learning experience for her. But if judging by what she was in October 2008, then I don't think she's all that bright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

Pudge, respectfully I think your going on heresay. Look at this womans political career.

How in the world can you postulate I don't think she's all that smart to be as manipulative as you need to be in politics? Look at her history a little and get back to me. Show me another politician that has gotten away with the kind of rockin the ol boat then this broad. "Palin has sometimes broken with the state Republican establishment. For example, she endorsed Sean Parnell's bid to unseat the state's longtime at-large U.S. Representative, Don Young. Palin has publicly challenged Senator Ted Stevens to come clean about the ongoing federal investigation into his financial dealings. She defeated an incumbent in her own party and a dem competitor with deeper pockets." If that's not manipulative, I dont know what is.

Maybe someone can 'splain to me which VP candidate in the last 6 elections has 'maniuplated' thier own party in this manner. Quite clearly, people have been calling this foxy milf a ridiculous dumbass with no chance of winning politically for a long, long time. She consitently proves them wrong.

Now, she won 2 city council seats in 92 and 95. Then 2 terms as Mayor! Then a loss as Lt Governor results in the Governor handing her a plush gig, which she subsequently resigned and got the guy canned. Then she goes up against 2 powerful candidates and wins being the first female Governor and the youngest. By my math, that's more 'experience' and 'fight' totalled then all of our current president, and McCain. At least in the executive sense. Would you not agree? This 'mental midget' has balanced a budget,:has Biden, Hillary,Mcain or Obama experinced that? As far as I can tell Barack's great political 'achievement' (prior to POTUS )is winning 3 Senate seats. Forgive me, but Senators compared to mayors, governors, or even city councilmen, no contest. Being a Governor is infintely more challenging, more hands on and more politically dangerous then being in the Senate.

But, I can be swayed, should be easy. Just show me the VP candidate that can compare to that. :wink:

I know Tina Fey is funny and all: but Tina Fey never had to fire a chief of police or veto an appropriation bill. Not exactly lightweight stuff. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:06 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

They didn't call her Sarah Barracuda for nothing. She is plenty ambitious. there have been plenty of outsiders in American history who were derided and wound up as Pres--Lincoln, A. Jackson, Jimmy Carter, etc.--because they allegedly spoke to or for the commoners. I don't really know much of what she thinks but she is a sound byte delight and with our eleven second national attention span that is not a bad thing. We don't really care to think things out. As to constituency, I think she has GWB's religious right in her pocket, of course, and that albatross is kind of the damned if you do and damned if you don't jinx for the GOP right now. Third Party? Maybe her best bet as she can say what she really thinks and maybe what we all want to hear with no real risk of losing since in that spot you are "born to lose." Think Perot, Ron Paul...Getting hatcheted by the media will be the cross she displays herself on for her adoring and enraged fans. At any rate, she's kind of interesting (and hot) which is more than you can say for most of the right wing candidates.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:54 pm 

I don't think you can be a politician or for celebs without positive and negative comments. You can never please everybody and Palin should be aware of that especially trying to be a national figure coming from the state of Alaska.It comes with the territory but most people understand both sides of the media. Maybe Palin dosen't have thick enough skin to tolerate negative media attention thus why she wants be behind the scenes supporting someone possibly in 2012. Politicians represent a certain faction among society thus if you can manage to ignite those factions you stand a chance to win any election. Who was Palin before McCain selected her? She was plucked out of obscurity to become this national figure because of the power of the media.

People wanted a new voice in Alaska and were tired of the same ole lifetime politicians enter Palin. Palin did things differently and wasn't going to stand for the same good ole boys network and anyone in her way she was goign to stomp on. However the state of Alaska isn't like most states in the Untied States. It has one resource ,oil, that can give a decided advantage in generating revenue for the state. The problems Palin resolved in Alaska are miniscule compared to leading an entire nation. In a nutshell it's better to be controversial since the media builds you up and can tear you down. If people talk about you negative or positive at least your making the news thus $$$$$$$$$$ or the potential for alot of money.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:14 am 

Again, you can preach to me all you want about her accomplishments in Alaska. But I'm just calling it like I see it. And she was completely out of her element in the few months she was on the ticket. Now is that surprising given her level of qualifications? No. But I think if she was really POTUS material, she would have risen to the occasion in that brief time period.

Now it's certainly possible that if/when she returns on the scene, she'll be a lot more capable. But if I'm just going off what I've seen so far she's a lot more like D.J. Shockley than Matt Cassel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:33 am 

I hate to say it but I agree with Pudge. When P alin was in the limeli ght when has she ever impressed anyone with her speaking ability? Not only does it take a charasmatic leader to get the vote but people want to know how their problems are going to be solved. People like Palin because they believe she gives no bull to them and speaks like they do however all the you betchas,winking eyes, references to being the point guard on her team won't get people to vote for her since their needs to be substance in what Palin says. I'll continue to say that Palin is more a media fabrication than a politician that has a plan.The book deals,possible talk shows, speaking engagments come more from hype than substance. If people saw this they would soon forget about that she is any threat at all.

Palin will now start to collect her money because the media has built her up and will live happily ever after with the millions she makes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:15 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Again, you can preach to me all you want about her accomplishments in Alaska. But I'm just calling it like I see it. And she was completely out of her element in the few months she was on the ticket. Now is that surprising given her level of qualifications? No. But I think if she was really POTUS material, she would have risen to the occasion in that brief time period.

Now it's certainly possible that if/when she returns on the scene, she'll be a lot more capable. But if I'm just going off what I've seen so far she's a lot more like D.J. Shockley than Matt Cassel.

well, from where I sit, she's More Like Matt Scaub then Matt Cassel of DJ :wink:

Dont get we wrong, I would not vote for her for POTUS but that's because of her religion, not politics, and ( this is going to get me in hot water) I dont think this is the right time for a woman POTUS. The a holes in the middle East would be a problem as well as the Commies down south. As much as it pains me to say, Barack is probably just the right guy to deal with both: but the trade off is the havoc he is going to reek with his domestic policies are the downside. I mean, can we all agree we just borrowed and spent 750 mil from my kids future salary and even though 'we have to do this NOW!' it has had no effect, like many economists stated?

I can think of another POTUS of questionable 'intelligence' that wass fairly good at keeping us safe since 9011, but his foreign policy was atrocious. I guess you cant have your cake and eat it too. BUt if I ever have to look at a Senator or a Mayor or Governor in terms of 'smart, effective executive experience' its a no brainer.

For a better ananlogy, in football Terms a Senator is Dennis Miller, a Governor is Chris Collinsworth. They both have an understanding of Football, but only one has put on the pads and taken the hits. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:35 pm 

fun gus wrote:
For a better ananlogy, in football Terms a Senator is Dennis Miller, a Governor is Chris Collinsworth. They both have an understanding of Football, but only one has put on the pads and taken the hits. :wink:

In general, I can agree with that statement. But I don't think it's universal. Not every governor is Collinsworth in this analogy, he/she might just be Bill Maas. And not every Senator is Dennis Miller, maybe they're Chris Berman.

Look, I'll be willing to give Palin the benefit of the doubt if in a year or two she re-emerges on the national scene and seems a lot more "presidential."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Palin is getting all of this attention because many on the far right want her to run due to her beliefs and style and the far left also wants her to run because they don't think she has a chance to win. Personally I could care less about her, was she a good vp pick no, could she be in the future maybe, she clearly needs to get educated on national and worldwide issues but she does have potential. As far as a football reference she reminds me of Icky woods

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:23 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:

In general, I can agree with that statement. But I don't think it's universal. Not every governor is Collinsworth in this analogy, he/she might just be Bill Maas. And not every Senator is Dennis Miller, maybe they're Chris Berman.

Look, I'll be willing to give Palin the benefit of the doubt if in a year or two she re-emerges on the national scene and seems a lot more "presidential."

Please dont feel that way, Pudge. I wont. I cant stand that crap. If your gonna quit, then quit. If she comes back at all , I wil find it impossible to think of her as 'Presidential' and I will be dissapointed.

In 94 when the GOP retook Congress, Newt and alot of the newbies promised term limits, then reneged. I didn't like it then and I still dont. If she comes back, she will just be another Newt, only a better looking one.

She need to be a behind the scenes player.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'll say she is dumb and say it without hesitation. What she has is ambition, drive and a whole lot of luck. When you have the first 3 you better have smarts or there is going to be trouble.

Alaska is not like the lower 49. Pols don't get the same scrutiny up there. The wingnuts like her because they project onto her because she is eye candy. The left wingnuts did the same to Ron Paul for a while. She is a low rent Snowbilly who will be quite entertaining in 2011 and 2012 when she has to appear off script. She fails to grasp the irony of her actions and that my friends, is deep down dumb ( for example decrying the "mainstream media" while pandering to them after blew her resignation speech and giving the pro-choice mantra to an anti-abortion banquet). Law Department BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Missed that department in all of my education and 22 years of government service.

Her specialty is supposed to be delivering her message - her last two major outings would get Ds in high school english and were simply nonsensical - she actually made Bush sound like Gore Vidal in the language department she was so bad. If she can't pull it off on her strenghts - she is dead meat on her weaknesses. At this point only true wingnuts would say she was qualified to be VP and a 72 year old heartbeat away from the presidency last fall.

She really needs to stop playing fast and loose with the truth. While she may be able to buffalo a state with 650,000, it just won't work on the big stage. Then again W was able to do it, but at least he was savvy enough to surround himself with really really smart people and listen to them (even when they told him to do really dumb things - Iraq anyone?). She seems to surround herself with sycophants - bad juju there.

Here is the excellent Vanity Fair Article on her:

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/feat ... alin200908

She will run in 2012. This resignation is ll about the money - her money, not Alaska's.

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:35 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Wease wrote:
I'll say she is dumb and say it without hesitation. What she has is ambition, drive and a whole lot of luck. When you have the first 3 you better have smarts or there is going to be trouble.

Alaska is not like the lower 49. Pols don't get the same scrutiny up there. The wingnuts like her because they project onto her because she is eye candy. The left wingnuts did the same to Ron Paul for a while. She is a low rent Snowbilly who will be quite entertaining in 2011 and 2012 when she has to appear off script. She fails to grasp the irony of her actions and that my friends, is deep down dumb ( for example decrying the "mainstream media" while pandering to them after blew her resignation speech and giving the pro-choice mantra to an anti-abortion banquet). Law Department BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Missed that department in all of my education and 22 years of government service.

Her specialty is supposed to be delivering her message - her last two major outings would get Ds in high school english and were simply nonsensical - she actually made Bush sound like Gore Vidal in the language department she was so bad. If she can't pull it off on her strenghts - she is dead meat on her weaknesses. At this point only true wingnuts would say she was qualified to be VP and a 72 year old heartbeat away from the presidency last fall.

She really needs to stop playing fast and loose with the truth. While she may be able to buffalo a state with 650,000, it just won't work on the big stage. Then again W was able to do it, but at least he was savvy enough to surround himself with really really smart people and listen to them (even when they told him to do really dumb things - Iraq anyone?). She seems to surround herself with sycophants - bad juju there.

Here is the excellent Vanity Fair Article on her:

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/feat ... alin200908

She will run in 2012. This resignation is ll about the money - her money, not Alaska's.

well what a surprise! The guy who is a lifelong govt servant does not like a populist that preaches smaller, less expensive Govt :lol:

Wease, you do yourself a disservice by even thinking of quoting Vanity Fair as an 'excellent' article. That would be like me using Ann Coulter to rebut...NOt smart, my friend... Even well educated, in the tank hard core feminists like Paglia recognize a 'hit job' when they see it? In all your education, you could not pick this out?

Let me help you out: read her take on this whole mess and get back to us. Of course, it's from that right wing rag Salon :roll:

I try to gather my info from all across the board. Little something I learned when I was in the media. That'
s why I listened to Andrea Mitchell, also not a GOP plant. Paglia is a well known Dem and a Lesbian, with letters and all...This woman 'gets it' She is the only true feminist I know:

".... Palin's shock resignation as governor of Alaska on the past Fourth of July weekend. I assume that family priorities -- personal as well as financial -- had become all-consuming. Given her success with finalizing the massive Alaska pipeline project, I think Palin should have stuck it out, but of course she is master of her own fate. What certainly was blameworthy was the chaotic and rushed statement itself. Something so politically consequential needed more careful composition and rehearsal. Why provide more fodder for the vultures and harpies of the Northeastern media?

Unfortunately, it's pretty obvious that Palin still lacks that cadre of trusted pros who are the invisible elves behind every successful national politician -- the assistants who gather and vet material and who filter proposals and plan logistics. In a way, this is part of her virtues -- her complete freedom from routine micromanagement and business as usual. She does her own thing with seat-of-the-pants gusto. It's why she remains hugely popular with the Republican grass-roots base.

Of course you'd never know that from reading hit jobs like Todd Purdum's sepulchral piece on Palin in the current Vanity Fair. Scurrying around Alaska with his notepad, Purdum still managed to find comically little to indict her with. Anyone with a gripe is given the floor; fans are shut out. This exercise in faux objectivity is exposed at key points such as Purdum's failure to identify the actual instigator of Palin's extravagant clothing bills (a crazed, credit-card-abusing stylist appointed by the McCain campaign) and his prissy characterization of Palin's performance at the vice-presidential debate as merely "adequate." Hey, wake up -- Palin cleaned Biden's clock! By the end, Biden was sighing and itching to split.

Whether Palin has a national future or not will depend on her willingness to hit the books at some point and absorb more information about international history and politics than she has needed to know in her role as governor. She also needs a shrewder, cooler take on the mainstream media, with its preening bullies, cackling witches, twisted cynics and pompous windbags. The Northeastern media establishment is in decline, and everyone knows it. Palin should not have gotten into a slanging match with David Letterman or anyone else who has been obsessively defaming her or her family. Let surrogates do that stuff.

The vicious double standard is pretty obvious. Only the tabloids, for example, ran the photos of a piss-drunk Chelsea Clinton, panties exposed, falling into her car outside London clubs a few years ago. If Chelsea had been the scion of Republican bigwigs, those tacky scenes would have been trumpeted from pillar to post in the U.S. as signals of parental failures or turmoil in clan Clinton. As a Democrat, I detest the partisan machinations that have become standard in Northeastern news management and that are detectable in editorial decisions at major metropolitan newspapers nationwide. It's why I, like a host of others, have shifted my news gathering to the Web."

Now, there's only a few rebuttals to this. One, damn the source. Say Paglia is in the tank for the GOP :roll: Or, try to make her out to be 'stupid', only that's going to be a hard sell. Of course you could say something along the lines of 'perhaps I was mistaken', but since you've not disclosed you were dead wrong about OctoMum, I wont hold my breath. Of course, if all else fails, say she's a Dyke and in Love with Palin :lol:

Wease, I'e asked numerous times, yet no one seems to want to answer : where are these 'genius' Veeps? Please tell me JOe Amtrak' Biden is 'smart'. Al Gore the master debater? Or the guy who got drunk and shot his friend in the face?

Frankly, part of the problem is the lack of professions other then 'lawyer' in Congress. I think the ratio is 79%! Puh-leeze.

I will say you were dead wrong about my guy, Ron Paul. It was not the leftwing nuts that pillaried or projected onto Paul. That is laughable on it's face. It was the GOP that planted suspicions of his racism, made is all but impossible for him to get on talk radio, fought his state by state attempts to get on the ballot, etc. NOT Huffpo or DailyKos. BUt they could not get on board because of his pro life stance, they could not 'project'.....The fact that you cant even see that clearly troubles me, Wease. Really? Cmon now. Just like it was Hillary's camp that released pics of Obama in Kenyan trad dress ( read: Turban ) it was his own supposed 'party' that took him down ( with some help from his followers) . Good grief man, there has not been a clearer case since Lieberman. That's like saying that the right wingers in Conn were upset with him for leaving the Dem Party. Honestly Wease :lol:

Were both on record. I say she wont run, you say she will. Care to wager? If you lose again, will you pay up? :wink: