It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Michael Jackson Dead
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:24 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

backnblack wrote:
Exactly how was it your father-in-law knew these cats?

He and a guy named Blaise Fournier went to school together and were best friends. They bought or traded wine etc to the GI's for Jazz records shortly after the war.They started one of the first Dixieland Jazz Bands in France.Blaise went on to write for "Jazz Hot", the #1 Jazz mag in France. He then had a weekly radio Show for over 40 years. His house became a stop-over for Jazz guys making their way across Europe. The parties in the 50's-60's were legend...lol

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:30 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

BirdBrain wrote:
backnblack wrote:

He and a guy named Blaise Fournier went to school together and were best friends. They bought or traded wine etc to the GI's for Jazz records shortly after the war.They started one of the first Dixieland Jazz Bands in France.Blaise went on to write for "Jazz Hot", the #1 Jazz mag in France. He then had a weekly radio Show for over 40 years. His house became a stop-over for Jazz guys making their way across Europe. The parties in the 50's-60's were legend...lol

Very very cool.

Here's a little something from Mardi Gras last year you might enjoy, BB! Forgive the 'camera work', Ol Fun Gus might have been inthe cups at this point :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mbTNS6YgmE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:05 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Thanks Gus!! Enjoyed it very much!! I know that Club as well, been a long time ....what was the name??? I haven't been back since Katrina, but the last Jazz Fest I saw Mike White play an outstanding set in that bar....darn it i just can't remember the name.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:50 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BirdBrain wrote:
backnblack wrote:

Great stuff. Is he still living? That war was such an interesting blend of cultures that would probably have never happened otherwise. The whole Brit Invasion thing was probably a bit of an outgrowth of the same thing. that is too cool, Bill.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:18 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:
backnblack wrote:

Great stuff. Is he still living? That war was such an interesting blend of cultures that would probably have never happened otherwise. The whole Brit Invasion thing was probably a bit of an outgrowth of the same thing. that is too cool, Bill.

No, Blaise died two years ago. He was given a traditional New Orleans funeral , with the trailing Jazz Band.His family donated tons of stuff to the new NY Jazz Museum in Harlem. Everything from one of Louis Armstrong's Handkerchiefs to photographs of the GI's coming to their concerts in Uniform...He was one of a kind. Looks like my Father-in-law will be last one to go...and he was the biggest smoker/drinker of them all...lol

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:00 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Good genes trump good habits most every time....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:03 pm 

I think we can expect at least one if not more tribute concerts to Michael Jackson. The lineup will probably be whose who cast of the greats. Mariah,Stevie Wonder,Celine Dion,Timberlake,Usher,Whitney to name a few. Michael hasn't done alot in the past 10 years but overall in his career he did more for music and entertainment than anyone.The only other person who probably be MJs rival is Elvis. Elvis did movies and really took music to another level from where it was before. I won't say their rivals both will go down has the 2 biggest entertainers ever.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:26 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I think the Beatles have to be thrown in the top three as well, but that is just a personal opinion. Also one has to add Zamfir and his magic Pan-flute!!

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:20 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BirdBrain wrote:
I think the Beatles have to be thrown in the top three as well, but that is just a personal opinion. Also one has to add Zamfir and his magic Pan-flute!!

Absolutely. There was a long thread on another board I wa son posing the question of who was the greatest in their prime...Elvis, Beatles or Jackson. you soon realize much of it is driven by the available mediums of the time as well the perceptions of who is around now. This particular board had more young people who had, therefore, not experienced Beatlemania or, of course, Elvis. I think where the Beatles stand out is that there was a certain intellectual contribution that was above and beyond their music that I don't think MJ or Elvis really approach. Much of this is a reflection of the tumultuous nature of their era. It's a neat question though that causes one to examine medium, race, nationality, etc., as well as the music itself or the performing. I mean, the Beatles essentially quit performing live when they did arguably their greatest work. If Quincy can be said to have made MJ how about George Martin?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:20 am 

Good point BB on the Beattles being on the list. I was thinking has an individual star but yes I would put the Beattles in there also. I don't think we'll see the public adulation of another pop star like Jackson or Elvis but Stevie Wonder and Mariah could be in the fold some day. I know when Ray Charles passed away that was tough to accept. I guess when you don't expect it is more of a shock than anything.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:45 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

Absolutely. There was a long thread on another board I wa son posing the question of who was the greatest in their prime...Elvis, Beatles or Jackson. you soon realize much of it is driven by the available mediums of the time as well the perceptions of who is around now. This particular board had more young people who had, therefore, not experienced Beatlemania or, of course, Elvis. I think where the Beatles stand out is that there was a certain intellectual contribution that was above and beyond their music that I don't think MJ or Elvis really approach. Much of this is a reflection of the tumultuous nature of their era. It's a neat question though that causes one to examine medium, race, nationality, etc., as well as the music itself or the performing. I mean, the Beatles essentially quit performing live when they did arguably their greatest work. If Quincy can be said to have made MJ how about George Martin?

Well Martin did have a huge role as the "fifth" Beatle. One could argue he played the same role as QJ, as you said. I think in the cultural wave aspect of the British Invasion, the Beatles get a little more credit than they deserve. There were other bands that played a huge part as well, but Lennon/McCartney were in my opinion the most talented song writers.Though some would argue that The Who and the Stones were just as good.It wasn't until the Invasion turned political that the music started morphing into all sorts of directions. Yes BNB, I agree with you.....the impact the British Invasion had on culture was much more than the effect Elvis/MJ had on their respective eras.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:35 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

BirdBrain wrote:
Thanks Gus!! Enjoyed it very much!! I know that Club as well, been a long time ....what was the name??? I haven't been back since Katrina, but the last Jazz Fest I saw Mike White play an outstanding set in that bar....darn it i just can't remember the name.
fritzles european jazz club!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:39 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

BirdBrain wrote:

You know he sold more records then Elvis and mj combined?
that's because they never 'combined' to make a record!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:07 am 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few tribute concerts on MJ in the near future. BET had one tonight it was good but they still gave awards. When I mean tribute I am talking the biggest stars singing MJ's music. The lineup will be ridculous like Stevie Wonder,Mariah,Usher,Justin Timberlake,Alicia Keys and I would hope Whitney to name a few.

I would also bet that there will be an updated movie on MJ.They made a movie on the Jackson 5 but it still didn't address Jackson's later success. There are a number of Elvis movies about him thats why I think there will be with Jackson. Jamie Foxx already played Ray Charles which he won an academy award for and it was a brillant movie.

Despite the many troubles Jackson had people will always remember the talent much more than the problems. I am not sure what happens to Jackon's half a billion dollar debt? Does it get passed on to the kids or what?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:56 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Further info from the man himself how he helped MJ become a force in the music industry.

http://www.global14.com/quincy-jones-x- ... s-article/

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:58 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

http://kunstler.com/blog/2009/06/the-man-in-the-mirror.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:43 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/politi ... emain.html

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:16 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BirdBrain wrote:
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/politics/2009/06/michael-jackson-is-gone-but-the-sad-facts-remain.html

madness personified

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:26 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/politics/2009/06/michael-jackson-is-gone-but-the-sad-facts-remain.html

madness personified

no s***.... :mrgreen:

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:55 am 

I watched the ceremony today on TV and it was very emotional to see all the people paying tribute to the king of pop. Mariah Carey,Usher,Jermaine Jackson,Stevie Wonder, John Mayer(who didn't know Michael Jackson personally but asked to play), Lionel Richie and the number of speakers gave Jackson a send off that may never again be duplicated. I didn't see the whole ceremony but have it on tape and am anxious to watch it. All the performances were good and you could tell it was difficult for some if not all of the singers to perform under these heart felt circumstances. Stevie,Usher,Jennifer Hudson and Jermaine Jackson I felt were extraordinary in their efforts. I am sure MJ would have loved this tribute says Dionne Warwick a close friend of Jackson's.

I believe it was Al Sharpton that said it's to bad that a entertainer has to die for the entertainer to be appreciated has much in today's world. Jackson will probably make alot more money now than he did living like Elvis. If a person's effect in life is based on how many people are touched throughout the world then Jackson is at the top of the list.Very few people in history were loved around the world like MJ. You'll have your naysayers that will say the negative things but there are many more positives with MJ than negatives.His music brought made the world a better place and his humanitarian efforts, helping millions with aid hopefully rubs off that help those in need. Rest in peace MJ has Stevie Wonder put it " the world needs Michael Jackson but God needs him more".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:44 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

All I saw was the Mayer clip. It was a nice instrumental version of Human Nature which is my personally fave MJ song. FWIW, my bro-in-law knows a chef somehow that worked for one of these ME kings or whatever that was hosting Jackson in recent years. His take was that Mike would live off of these guys until they told him to run along. He also said MJ was a complete gentleman and to his eyes a great father. Complex guy and probably deeply flawed...but at the end of the day most of us are. I guess you live a public and glitzy life you have a public and glitzy funeral but from the clip i saw it seems odd to have people hollering out and whistling at someone's funeral.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:07 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

I'll probably get heat for this, but can someone please do something about Sharpton? I understand what he's trying to do, but telling MJ's kids thier supposed 'daddy' was not 'strange', that actually does a disservice to those children. Tragic all around, but more so tragic that this guy is even involved at all in this mess. :x

And how many seconds do you think Sharpton thought about those kids that accused MJ of pedophilia, the most despicable crime of all? From what I recall, 20 million dollars made that little mess 'go way. Let's not go crazy here: the guy was a good talent, but so was Fatty Arbuckle. Just because he's rich and part of a protected class ( which is really strange to me to see such affection from people this guy did not want to resemble! ) does not excuse him or make this guy a 'sympathetic' creature. I'm not letting the bad parents that toted thier offspring over to Club TouchyFeely off, but ultimately the responsibility there lies with MJ. And I'm sorry, there was waaaay too much smoke for there not to be 'fire' there. Call me a 'naysayer' but I get really bent out of shape when 'innocents and invalids' are abused etc. That's why I have so much contempt for Vick. I dont like people who prey on the eldery or handicapped either, no matter how much 'blood money' or 'talent' they have. Some things cannot be 'cured'. Wanting to drown puppies or touch liitle boys weiners cant be 'rehabbed', IMHO. These people only need to be watched and made sure they dont hurt again. MJ does not sit well with me, because after all the allegations, HE STILL GOT KIDS OF HIS OWN! Isn't that like asking Charlie Sheen to run the Bunny Ranch or letting Vick raise chickens? :roll:

And y'all know I was a HUGE fan, but I'm more a fan of not abusing kids. That's why I had to wash my hands of this creep in the 90's. I;m just perplexed at the whole dang thing.

There's a little 'mystery' as to whether otr not MJ was even the biological 'father'. I mean, is it just me, or do those kids look like they got a little 'Vitilago' as well? :wink: :!:

Well, lets gfo ahead and get this over with. I'm sure I've just stepped in it now! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xmubtbvi6k&feature=fvw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:43 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

MJ is a tricky subject. I try to give people credit, distinguishing them from their professional life and that of their personal life. The analogy I would use is that perhaps their is a child molester living in your neighborhood, but he's also a car mechanic. And maybe he's the best mechanic in town. Best prices, and actually fixes your car, and because not many people take their cars to him, he really takes care of the few customers that do come to him. And then on the flip side, you know he has molested children.

Now, you need to get your car fixed. You know that this guy is going to fix your car, but you also know by supporting this person you are putting money in the pocket of someone that has a really serious vice that you do not condone. So what do you do? Now, I expect most people would just go to the 2nd best mechanic who isn't a child molester. And most people will simply regard this person as filth, regardless of whether he is really good at fixing cars.

It's the same with Michael Johnson. To me, the 3 cardinal sins in my book are molesting/hurting children, rape, and being a deadbeat parent. On one hand, if we could collect all these people and eject them into space, I wouldn't really have a problem with that. But at the other hand, I might realize that maybe some of these people might contribute other things to the world.

It's hard to reconcile disdain for Michael's persona life with that of his professional life. Professionally, it really doesn't get much better than him. Personally, it really doesn't get much worse than him.

For me personally, I take the Keith Brooking defense. I just ignore the bad, and focus only on the good. I only really think about Michael Jackson as an entity that existed prior to 1993. That which existed afterwards, to me is considered a separate entity.

Now, I don't apply this standard to everybody. And it's not fair. But Michael Jackson is one of those special cases that I don't have a problem making an exception for.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:17 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
MJ is a tricky subject. I try to give people credit, distinguishing them from their professional life and that of their personal life. The analogy I would use is that perhaps their is a child molester living in your neighborhood, but he's also a car mechanic. And maybe he's the best mechanic in town. Best prices, and actually fixes your car, and because not many people take their cars to him, he really takes care of the few customers that do come to him. And then on the flip side, you know he has molested children.

Now, you need to get your car fixed. You know that this guy is going to fix your car, but you also know by supporting this person you are putting money in the pocket of someone that has a really serious vice that you do not condone. So what do you do? Now, I expect most people would just go to the 2nd best mechanic who isn't a child molester. And most people will simply regard this person as filth, regardless of whether he is really good at fixing cars.

It's the same with Michael Johnson. To me, the 3 cardinal sins in my book are molesting/hurting children, rape, and being a deadbeat parent. On one hand, if we could collect all these people and eject them into space, I wouldn't really have a problem with that. But at the other hand, I might realize that maybe some of these people might contribute other things to the world.

It's hard to reconcile disdain for Michael's persona life with that of his professional life. Professionally, it really doesn't get much better than him. Personally, it really doesn't get much worse than him.

For me personally, I take the Keith Brooking defense. I just ignore the bad, and focus only on the good. I only really think about Michael Jackson as an entity that existed prior to 1993. That which existed afterwards, to me is considered a separate entity.

Now, I don't apply this standard to everybody. And it's not fair. But Michael Jackson is one of those special cases that I don't have a problem making an exception for.

The old lady made a good point when we were discussing this last night. She said because I was such a huge fan, and I'm a musician myself, and I have a kid that helps explain why I despise MJ is because 'he let me down'. And in a way, I realize that's unfair but she is probably right about that.

But I couldn;t stomach alot of that memorial crap. My wife even put that nonsense on out TIVO. Good grief. The only thing more depressesing then actually get to see those kids mourn, was the antics of those clowns around them. Usher with that ridiculous fake staged appearance, John Mayer: guy never met or talked to MJ..Brooke Shield's is moved to tears. Really Brook? That woman had not laid eyes on MJ for 18 years! She knew what was going on. :roll:

And what about the people that should have been there that werent? Where's Oprah? Where's Quincy Jones? Where is Paul Macartney? There's got to be more to this then meets the eye...I think were all misty eyed now but things are going to come out soon and all the opportunists are going to scatter like cockroaches. All around tragedy. Tragic tortured life befitting a tragic memorail service. I'm not saying there weren't any real emotions or real people mourning there ( Like Stevie ) but a little too 'much' if you ask me and that always particularly bugs me at funerals. We've all seen the 'fake cryers' before...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:25 pm 

I agree, sycophants come out of the woodwork for "events" like this. I didn't actually watch the proceedings, but watched many of the "highlights" on clips online yesterday afternoon/evening with my cousin. I made the comment to him that I bet only like 20 people there actually really knew Mike.

Profile E-mail