It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: a medical question for the board..
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:28 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4814
my neck and upper back have been killing me for weeks. I went to my provider, and they prescribed me pain killers ( lortab) and muscle relaxers (norflex )...This doesn't seem to work, and I do not like the way the pills make me woozy...

I am considering going to a local chiropractor, as I have 25 visits under my health plan. But, alot of my friends claim it is a scam, and a temporary fix.

has anyone here had any experience with chiropractic care? good or bad? any advice would be welcomed!

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a medical question for the board..
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:39 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25552
Location: North Carolina
I haven't been per se, but I know friends who have, and they tend to tell me too that it is more a temporary fix. You'll feel better for a few days/weeks, but then the problems re-surface again. But at this point, even that short-term relief probably seems better than the alternative.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: a medical question for the board..
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:09 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:50 pm
Posts: 136
if it really hurts...go back to the dr and get some steriods....that helped me once with some intense pains I was feeling in the upperback/right shoulder/neck area. it got so bad, I could not stand it....hurt to walk or move....didn't finally go away until I got a pack of steriods.




I have constant back pain in other areas of my back....center of spin and mid/right back....near shoulder blade I guess you would say. thought about seeing the chiro, but am afraid to...afraid of the scam aspect and also me getting addicted to it.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: a medical question for the board..
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:33 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6077
Location: Planet Claire
Sounds like degeneration in vertibrae in your neck. Goes along with loss of eye sight, hearing (welcome to your 40s). In ten years your neck will be stiff and your manliness won't be and damned if the neck doesn't matter more. the only constant is change! :lol:

On a serious tip, I have this too it can cause problems ultimately in your arms. I think it is called the ulner nerve or something like that. Kind of like sciatic in your legs. I used to be able to hear a kind of crackling/crunching sound when I swiveled my head and neck around...now I just don't swivel my head! :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a medical question for the board..
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:44 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4814
backnblack wrote:
Sounds like degeneration in vertibrae in your neck. Goes along with loss of eye sight, hearing (welcome to your 40s). In ten years your neck will be stiff and your manliness won't be and damned if the neck doesn't matter more. the only constant is change! :lol:

On a serious tip, I have this too it can cause problems ultimately in your arms. I think it is called the ulner nerve or something like that. Kind of like sciatic in your legs. I used to be able to hear a kind of crackling/crunching sound when I swiveled my head and neck around...now I just don't swivel my head! :lol:



Your symptoms sound like mine..I am having some tingling and discomfort in the right arm, and it manifests itself when I play.

I went to the chiro yesterday afternoon and he diagnosed me with degeneterive disc disease. I always knew I was a degenerate!

I'm through messing around, today I go see an orthopedist. The chiro did nothing for the pain. he gave me some 'homeopathic' muscle relaxers ( formula 303 ) did not work at all. Better livivng through science!

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a medical question for the board..
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:43 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6077
Location: Planet Claire
fun gus wrote:
backnblack wrote:
Sounds like degeneration in vertibrae in your neck. Goes along with loss of eye sight, hearing (welcome to your 40s). In ten years your neck will be stiff and your manliness won't be and damned if the neck doesn't matter more. the only constant is change! :lol:

On a serious tip, I have this too it can cause problems ultimately in your arms. I think it is called the ulner nerve or something like that. Kind of like sciatic in your legs. I used to be able to hear a kind of crackling/crunching sound when I swiveled my head and neck around...now I just don't swivel my head! :lol:



Your symptoms sound like mine..I am having some tingling and discomfort in the right arm, and it manifests itself when I play.

I went to the chiro yesterday afternoon and he diagnosed me with degeneterive disc disease. I always knew I was a degenerate!

I'm through messing around, today I go see an orthopedist. The chiro did nothing for the pain. he gave me some 'homeopathic' muscle relaxers ( formula 303 ) did not work at all. Better livivng through science!

I know what you mean. I have had "tennis elbow" before which manifests itself on the outer side of your elbow but this past year I started having significant pain in the inner crook of my right elbow especially when I played guitar. It would be really painful to straighten my arm back out after I was through. I kept thinking it would go away but it did not for months and so I went to the doctor. Of course, that week before I got there it quit hurting but he told me that was what it was. He is an old friend and I had had him X-ray my neck years ago so he was sort of hip to the whole picture. I'm not sure whether something slightly shifted by accident to relieve the pain or what. He said eventually I'd have to have something done about it but I'm not sure exactly what. i know those disc repairs in your neck are not really the big deal they once were though anything like that has potential for trouble. They go in the front by your throat and the folks I know who have had it barely had a few days of convalesence and were really pleased with the result. My work really aggravates this condition but my addiction to food and shelter make the habit hard to shake.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a medical question for the board..
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:57 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:41 pm
Posts: 2297
Location: Albany NY
I used to have back pain top to bottom, do what you want, but I advise going to the gym and doing all kinds of back lifting, worked for me.

_________________
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a medical question for the board..
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:51 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4814
DaveWaz wrote:
I used to have back pain top to bottom, do what you want, but I advise going to the gym and doing all kinds of back lifting, worked for me.


my wierd pain happens right at the bottom of my neck. No 'back pain' really whatsoever..I can pick up my 4 year old without pain, but moving the actual 'head; is what hurts....I would lift every minute to make this crap go away..The accordion strap and guitar strap hurt, but not where they are, just in the neck..

I just had the wierdest gig I;ve had since I stopped trying acid 20 years ago....They gave me hydrocodone and I feel like I'm in slo motion. Thank God it was a 'weekly'. 8-)

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a medical question for the board..
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:47 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6077
Location: Planet Claire
For years I played--and still play--this 78 Telecaster that weighs nearly 12 pounds and I honestly wonder if that isn't part of the origin of my problems. The gig would sometimes finish and ten minutes later it would be like someone had a fork stuck in my shoulder blade every time I tried to turn my head. Would last for days.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  


cron