It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Parking Lot has been blown up
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:20 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I originally created the parking lot just as a place for that on the occasion that some trolls from some Bucs sites showed up and wanted to talk smack about the Falcons, I could just move their posts there so it would not clutter up the fine football debate that occurs in the Huddle.

But what has become of it in recent months is not that vision. It has become a place where regular contributors to this site have themselves been morphed into trolls. And just been using it as a place to launch attacks against other posters.

Why am I getting rid of it? Because the "anything goes..." mentality of the Parking Lot is only brewing more contentious and conflict among this site's regular members. We posted an edict months ago to cease with the personal attacks, and it would be just plain dumb of me to try to enforce that on the remaining boards when all one person has to do is traipse to the Parking Lot and let it fly.

The sad thing is that I'm the admin here, but one of the youngest posters as far as I know here. Yet, I feel like many of the posters who are older than me are nothing more than children. And it's become the task of myself and the moderators to act like a day care.

As I'm sure most of your mothers and first grade teachers to you before, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. I don't understand why when 98% of us are supposed to be grown men, we can't be civil towards each other.

You don't have to call out other posters, attacking their "record" or what not. We are all wrong from time to time. This isn't a contest, to see who's the smartest Falcon fan.

I wanted to create an environment on this site where people are free to discuss various topics without fear of being flamed for it. That when people responded to your posts and topics, they were discussing the merits of your opinion, not your personality.

And I knew that once I created other forums where football-related topics could be broached, there was the eventuality that debates, arguments, and beefs created in those newer forums would leak into the football-related ones.

We're getting ever closer to the point where people get banned. And I already know going forward that if/when that day arrives, it's not going to be fair. And I already know that person (or persons) will then latch onto a new site/forum and use it as a sounding board to talk trash about me, the mods here, and this site. None of that I want to happen. I'm not here to create enemies. Although I make very very little money off this website, I have a business-like mentality, that I know that the more people I alienate the less "revenue" (either via money or hits) I generate. So I think I've been rather lenient in the past. Cutting slack to some long-time posters that I probably wouldn't cut to newer posters that have only been around for days, weeks, or a few months.

The beauty of the new forum software is that you can put posters on your "foe list" which is basically an ignore function. So that you no longer have to see their posts, and aren't tempting to "retaliate" that could potentially get you in trouble with the mods and myself here.

it's only a handful of problem posters as I see it. And I don't really care who started what. There's nothing that says you have to finish it. And the leash is getting shorter and tighter for those posters it would seem. So it may be 1 or 2 mildly inflammatory posts that may cause a suspension or even a ban from these people. I'm going to say right now that certain posters are going to be judged less fairly than others when it comes to meting out discipline for those reasons.

And I know some are reading this and thinking that Pudge and these mods are really anal about these so-called insults and personal attacks. Yeah, I guess I am, and therefore the mods are as well, so deal with it. And if you can't, then you are more than welcome to leave. You won't be the first, and I doubt you'll be the last. I'm pretty sure all of us live in so-called "free" countries, where I don't think anybody is putting guns to our heads and forcing us to post and visit this site.

So now the parking lot is gone. So now you'll just have to figure out other constructive ways of trashing your fellow posters. My suggestion to you is to get a blog. Blogger offers free blogs for any and all comers. And the beauty of that is whatever you post and write on their, I can't say a damn thing to you about it.

But I'm trying my best to make this site the best Falcons fan site there is on the net. I'd like to claim the title right now, but I know there's vast room for improvement. This is not a dictatorship. I'm open to suggestions, ideas, complaints, criticism, etc. If you have something you want to get off your chest to me, then I'm more than willing to listen to what you have to say via PM. And if it's something constructive as opposed to just a derogatory insult, I'll promise I won't discipline you for it.

But the bottom line is that the "backdoor" that had become the Parking Lot for rule breaking has now been destroyed. So now you'll just have to be open with it (and get suspended/banned) or just stop breaking the rules.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Parking Lot has been blown up
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:17 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

It needed to be done, Pudge. It's becoming hard to post an opinion without being labeled a hugger or hater, racist or bigot. And it's obvious that there's a troll or two here as well that just stir the pot.

Kudos to you sir, Kudos.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:28 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
It needed to be done, Pudge. It's becoming hard to post an opinion without being labeled a hugger or hater, racist or bigot. And it's obvious that there's a troll or two here as well that just stir the pot.

Kudos to you sir, Kudos.

AJ, if you post an opinion there is a good chance someone has an opposite viewpoint, that is the nature of having an opinion. And if your opinion falls into a group think situation, then there is also a good chance that there is a some type of "gain" or personal investment in coming out on one side of the fence or the other. Everything can be be broken down into a pro vs con scenario.

Saying that stirring the pot is a bad thing on a message board is silly. You just did it yourself when you posted a message two months after the original message was posted. I agree with you that there is too much race baiting going on, but you really have to take it with a grain of salt. I doubt that there are any full fledged racists here.

As Rev. Wright said so well,
"different does not mean deficient." We are all different here, but all are able to express their views, and sometimes the views have to be defended...I would rather deal with someone knowing which side of the fence they were on, than to deal with someone sitting on the fence, giving out vanilla responses. That really is weak.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Saying that stirring the pot is a bad thing on a message board is silly

The person who own/runs this site may disagree. Not everyone is going to agree on any subject, you are correct. But the same old drivel some try to pound into the rest of our heads is old and frustrating. I am not singling you or anyone out. I am mearly giving credit to Pudge for saying enough is enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:08 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:

The person who own/runs this site may disagree. Not everyone is going to agree on any subject, you are correct. But the same old drivel some try to pound into the rest of our heads is old and frustrating. I am not singling you or anyone out. I am mearly giving credit to Pudge for saying enough is enough.

No one can pound anything into your head if you don't want them to. Speaking of Pudge, he is of course the owner and he can do what he likes. He has shown amazing constraint at times, but he is just as guilty as anyone else is when it comes to having an opinion, much more so in many cases. I recall a situation you had with him over Turner that left you frustrated. Opening up a 2 month old thread to give kudos to Pudge could have been done with an PM, so your intent was more than that.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

BirdBrain wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:

No one can pound anything into your head if you don't want them to. Speaking of Pudge, he is of course the owner and he can do what he likes. He has shown amazing constraint at times, but he is just as guilty as anyone else is when it comes to having an opinion, much more so in many cases. I recall a situation you had with him over Turner that left you frustrated. Opening up a 2 month old thread to give kudos to Pudge could have been done with an PM, so your intent was more than that.

I don't really look at anything but the huddle. It's my home page and takes me right there. Today is the first time I read his post in "Welcome"....so I apologize for that.

And you're are right again, everyone has an opinion.....and for the most part I value all opinions....there's been many times where I've thought one thing and then read many posts to the contrary and have since changed my opinion. Sometimes I agree with you BB, and sometimes I don't. But I never try and make it personal. A lot of posters here are good football people and I DO appreciate different view points from my own...... but some here also will never admit defeat and fit to the death insisting they are right about the most trivial things......and it gets old. He said...she said. It brings the board down......

As for Pudge and I about Turner....yes, we do disagree. But it has never become personal and he has made good points and I'd like to thing I've made good points to him as well.......that's what a message board to me is about. Give alittle and get a little. When you have people who constantly think they know it all and are above everyone else and their opinion...it becomes different. That's when it becomes a pissing contest.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:27 am 
Superstar
Superstar

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
I don't really look at anything but the huddle.

You're missing some of the best stuff. I love football, and I love the Falcons, but I can only talk/read so much about blocking schemes before my head threatens to explode. I like to take a break with other sports in the "sports bar" and/or the random stuff in the lounge.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:11 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

one8swayze wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
I don't really look at anything but the huddle.

You're missing some of the best stuff. I love football, and I love the Falcons, but I can only talk/read so much about blocking schemes before my head threatens to explode. I like to take a break with other sports in the "sports bar" and/or the random stuff in the lounge.

Good point swayze...some of the best discussion is on the other forums..

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail