PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:55 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

JUNIOR HEMINGWAY
6-1/225
Michigan Senior
40: 4.53

PROS:

Has good size and length. Does a good job going up and getting the ball, and consistently is able to win the jump balls. Has soft hands and extends well for the ball, showcasing very good length. Shows better speed and burst than his size would normally merit, and can get behind the defense to make plays down the field as a long strider. Tracks the deep ball well and uses his size to win vertically. Does a good job coming back for the floaters over the middle and will use his size to get position there. WIlling to go over the middle and take the hit.

CONS:

Doesn't have the ideal speed to separate and stretch the field. Doesn't have great burst off the line, and may not be a guy that can consistently beat press coverage. Doesn't always make grabs in traffic despite his size. WIll drop some passes from time to time. Is a very subpar blocker despite his size, and only has perfunctory effort there.

OVERVIEW:

Because of the erratic accuracy of Denard Robinson at Michigan, Hemingway was a good fit for them. Robinson would often throw up passes and let his receiver go and get the ball, something Hemingway was very good at doing. He's got a big physical build and moves a lot better than you would think at first glance. But certain aspects of his game can be lazy. He is a little lazy blocker, and his routes need work as well. But what you do like about him is that he's a guy that can consistently win jump ball and one on one situations and in the right offense he can be an effective role player.

2011 GAMES WATCHED:

(9/10) vs. Notre Dame: 7 targets, 3 rec., 165 yds (55.0 avg), 73 YAC (24.3 avg), 2 TDs, 2 drops
(9/24) vs. San Diego St: 1 tgt., 1 rec., 9 yds, 0 YAC, 0 TDs
(11/12) at Illinois: 5 tgt., 3 rec., 43 yds (14.3 avg), 9 YAC (3.0 avg), 0 TDs; 1 missed block

CAREER STATS:

2011: 13 GP/12 GS, 34 rec., 699 yds, 20.6 avg, 4 TDs
2010: 10/8-32-593-18.5-4; 1 PR-34.0 avg-0 TDs
2009: 11/9-16-268-16.8-2; 10-8.6-0
2008: 4/1-2-41-20.5-1
2007: 10/1-4-37-9.3-0

- missed 2 games in 2010 with a hamstring injury
- missed 1 game in 2009 with an ankle injury
- missed most of 2008 with mononucleosis

NFL FORECAST:

Hemingway sort of reminds me of a poor man's Marques Colston, in that he's not the most sudden guy, but with his size he can be a tough matchup for many corners. Michigan would put him in the slot at times, and he can be a tough matchup there. I don't know if he will be able to separate consistently from NFL corners if you put him on the outside. He has enough speed and quickness that if he can polish his routes, he can get better there. But I don't see him as a guy that is going to come in right away and produce in that way. There might be a slightly longer length to impact than many teams will want for that reason. It wouldn't surprise me if he's one of those guys that lights up the preseason, but struggles to put it all together to be productive in the regular season. I think he can add depth and be a nice No. 4 option for a lot of teams because he can add value in the redzone, help move the chains, and make some plays downfield. But I don't have a ton of confidence that he'll put it all together to become much more than that. If he was to drop 10-15 pounds, I think it would make him more effective. The underwhelming blocking makes me wary of him. A guy with his size and strength should not be as underwhelming as he is in that realm, and that is somewhat a red flag to me that he may not have the sort of "want to" that you really need at the wide receiver position to really develop down the line. I think he can play in the NFL, and if he can play on special teams I definitely think he can stick. But if not, then he'll potentially struggle to get a second contract from the team that drafts him and ultimately become a journeyman that may not be as well-rounded as he needs to be on offense to be high enough on the depth chart that makes him inability to play special teams worthwhile.

ATL FORECAST:

Hemingway could add depth in Atlanta, and if the Falcons tried to use him as a big slot option akin to Marques Colston, he could be an effective role player. He might not be the ideal No. 3 option in Atlanta because it could take him some time to hit his stride, although his ability to go get the ball makes him a better vertical option than Harry Douglas. Instead, he would be better off as a fourth option that could present some matchup problems for smaller corners, make the occasional play, but probably not reliable enough to be more effective as third option. Plus, it might take him the better part of three years before he can really hit that stride.

VALUE:

Hemingway has talent to add depth in the pros, but because he's probably a career backup that will take some time before he can really hit his stride, then he's probably not worth much more than a sixth round pick.

SKILLS:
1-pathetic, 2-poor, 3-weak, 4-below average, 5-average, 6-above average, 7-good, 8-very good, 9-excellent, 10-elite

Speed: 5.5
Hands: 6.0
After Catch: 4.5
Body Control: 7.0
Blocking: 3.5
Range: 6.5

Profile E-mail