PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:33 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

ANTHONY GAITOR
5-10/177
Florida International Senior
40: 4.48

PROS:

Has a good feel for playing in space with nice speed and ability to make plays in pursuit. Is willing in run support and does a nice job breaking down and wrapping up ballcarrier or receiver. Can make plays on the backside pursuit. Does a good job coming off the edge as a blitzer and can make stops in the backfield. Does a good job in off coverage, able to keep things in front of him. Has pretty good burst out of his breaks. Shows decent ball skills to break on the pass.

CONS:

Doesn't have the footwork or polished technique when he lines up in man coverage. Will get caught looking in the backfield at times. Undersized corner that will likely struggle at times to cover bigger wideouts. Needs to do a better job turning and locating the ball in man coverage.

OVERVIEW:

Gaitor plays corner, but in FIU's variable and aggressive scheme, he's often playing a role like an in the box safety. If he was 20 pounds heavier, I would like his chances playing safety at the next level. But with that not beign the case, I think he'll fit best in a Cover-2 scheme that plays a lot of zone. A four-year starter that combined for 197 tackles, 19 for loss, 4 sacks, 11 INTs, 25 PBUs, and 3 defensive TDs during his career.

NFL FORECAST:

I think Gaitor would make a nice nickel cornerback in a zone-heavy scheme like the Tampa-2 of Chicago or Tampa Bay. I think he has the ability and potential to become a better man corner, but because of his lack of size, I don't think he'll ever be a guy that you want in more than a nickel role. But I think with time and development, he could be a valuable role player that is a solid No. 3. There are some similarities between himself and a player like Brent Grimes during to comparable size/speed/athleticism, but what I like about Gaitor like is the case with Grimes is that he has very good toughness, and I think that will endear him to teams even if his pure cover skills won't. Most likely a guy that can come in and produce on special teams during his first few years, and then by his third or fourth year, he should be pushing for a nickel job and potentially win it. I think it's possible that after his initial contract he could develop into a starter for a zone-heavy team, but I don't think he'll be ideal in such a role. But he's a guy that should at least add depth and be productive there for several years in the pros. It's possible down the road he could make the permanent move to safety, but he's got to add at least 15-20 pounds to compete there. And while I think he can get by there because of his ability to contribute in run support and good feel for playing in space, he'll probably never be the caliber of starter that sticks long-term. Instead, as is the case with corner, he'll likely be more of a reserve/dime safety candidate.

ATL FORECAST:

Gaitor is a nice depth piece for the Falcons to add because he should be able to play and contribute on special teams right away as the No. 4 or 5 corner. And then with a year or two under his belt, he could start to push up the depth chart. He has traits comparable to that of Grimes, in that he's a nice off coverage corner that if he can polish up his footwork and technique can be a competent nickel corner. More than likely, he adds depth in Atlanta that can be a decent stopgap nickel option and speical teams contributor.

VALUE:

Gaitor has enough talent to merit a fifth or sixth round draft pick.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Speed: 4.0
Man Coverage: 2.5
Zone Coverage: 3.0
Tackling: 3.0
Ball Skills: 3.0

Profile E-mail