PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:45 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

SIONE FUA
6-2/308
Stanford Senior
40: 5.28

PROS:

Very effective short-area player that is hard to move off the ball at the point of attack. Does a nice job getting leverage against the center and guard in one on one situations. Presses the pocket and moves the line of scrimmage a yard backwards. Shows power and delivers blow to think he might have potential as a bull rusher. Can get off block and make the stop at the point of attack. Occasionally can show decent range and make plays laterally down the line. Plays with a good motor.

CONS:

Is not consistent snap to snap. Doesn't really show the burst upfield or range to really be effective outside a short area. Needs to do a better job taking on double teams and at times too easily redirected by them. Doesn't get off blocks well and has very limited repertoire of pass rush moves. Has to rely on stunts and movement to get penetration. Doesn't break down in pursuit and will whiff on stops.

OVERVIEW:

Fua is a nice space eater in the middle of Stanford's 3-4 scheme. He is a guy that can eat blocks and has potential, but doesn't make many impact plays. A three-year starter for the Cardinal after serving a year on his LDS mission in 2007. In three years as a starter, he combined for 64 tackles, 15 for loss, and 9 sacks. His name is pronounced: see-OWN-ay foo-AH.

NFL FORECAST:

Fua is a good developmental nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme. He isn't a guy that I think is going to be an impact player that can really dominate at the point of attack. But he fits well into schemes that prefer their nose tackles to eat blocks and free up the linebackers, than be an impact player himself. In that way, he's more like players like Aubrayo Franklin. Fua is the type of nose tackle that teams that miss out on the elite guys tend to settle for. I think the main thing with him that can really unlock his potential as a starter is if he can develop some more moves. It's not really to make him into a better pass rusher because he's never going to be more than a 1 or 2 sack guy regardless of what he does. But I want to see a guy that can consistently dominate the center in one on one situation. I really want him to develop a strong power move and learn how to use his hands to dominate a center at the point of attack. I think he's best targeted as a developmental rotational guy. I think like players like Franklin, Ma'ake Kemoeatu, Sione Pouha, he's a guy that will likely be more effective for his second team and/or upon his second NFL contract than his first. If you're looking for a starter, I don't think you can expect him to start to impact there until his fourth or fifth year in the league. Between now and then, you can hope he can give you 20-25 good snaps off the bench, but that's about it.

ATL FORECAST:

Fua is not a good fit here in Atlanta because he's not very disruptive. While he can play in a one-gap scheme, he needs a lot of work on his technique and pass rush moves to become more disruptive. His power and ability in a short area is good on running downs, but he'll have to be pulled off the field on passing downs, because he doesn't know how to provide pressure. In time, it's possible for him to learn and get better there, but not to a degree where you still shouldn't have a two or three players that are much better on the roster. In Atlanta, he can be a nice No. 4 guy in the rotation, but not an everydown guy.

VALUE:

For a 3-4 team looking for a developmental nose tackle to add depth, he's probably worth a fifth round pick. A team desperate for another body might take him late in the fourth and it not be considered a reach.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Strength: 4.0
Point Of Attack: 3.5
Quickness: 1.5
Pass Rush: 1.5
Motor: 3.5

Profile E-mail