PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:34 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

JERRELL POWE
6-2/335
Mississippi Senior
40: 5.29

PROS:

Has a nice first step, which can get him leverage against the run and allow him to press the pocket. Shows ability to shoot gaps and penetrate, and can close quickly on the QB to deliver a big hit if he can get free. Has an effective spin move to get off blocks, and shows a nice combo of power and quickness. Shows ability to make the stop at the point of attack.

CONS:

Plays with limited hand technique and hasn't quite mastered his power moves. Tries to speed rush around the edge when he lines up at the nose. Will get overextended at times when he tries to get leverage vs. the run. Gets pushed off the ball too much, especially when working against the double team. Doesn't get low often enough in short-yardage situations. Has limited range when moving in space and conditioning has been a major issue in the past.

OVERVIEW:

Powe reminds me a lot of Peria Jerry coming out of Ole Miss. He's a big guy, but thinks he's much smaller and prefers to try and use his speed and quickness to beat blockers rather than understanding that no center in the world can handle his power if properly used. Like Jerry, he went to Hargrave Military Academy before coming to Ole MIss. He started two seasons with the Rebels and combined for 61 tackles, 20.5 for loss, and 5.5 sacks in that span. Powe has dealt with weight issues, being as big as 383 pounds before his junior year, but he slimmed down to 325 before the '09 season and has done a good job keeping his weight in check since then.

NFL FORECAST:

You do worry a bit about the weight ballooning back up again, but since he's shown the discipline to keep it mostly in check the past two years, you're not super concerned. As long as he stays under 340, you're okay. Powe is a nice disruptive player, but I think relies a bit too much on his quickness than his power. And I think he's going to be a bit of a project because of that. He doesn't use his hands very well, and frankly isn't as good a run defender as you'd expect. He flashes skills there, but not to a consistent enough degree where you think he can come in right away and be a major contributor in a 3-4 scheme. He can play in a 4-3 as a role player, but his upside is much higher in a 3-4. But I think it's going to take him the better part of three seasons before he really develops there. Keeping his weight in check will certainly help. But he really needs to improve his technique, and really start to understand that his job is to eat blocks, press the pocket, and use his power, rather than trying to use his quickness to get upfield. Once he understands that and gets some coaching, he should start to develop and produce. The ideal situation for him is to go to a team like Pittsburgh where he can play behind an aging but still producing nose tackle, which won't force him to have to play a bunch of reps early, and then he can grow into his role. He has good potential and with his power and quickness, he can be a nice disruptive nose tackle in the Jamal Williams mold. But he's a work in progress.

ATL FORECAST:

Again, Powe is comfortable playing in a 4-3 scheme, and playing with his "big brother" of sorts in Jerry would probably be good for him. But his weight is a much bigger concern in a one-gap scheme like the Falcons. With his shorter frame, you want him to be under 320, and I just don't think that's a realistic goal for him to maintain that sort of weight. He could eat blocks and be a nice two-down run defender. But his limited technique means that he won't be impacting in a 4-3 scheme that quickly either.

VALUE:

For a 3-4 team looking for a developmental nose tackle, I would take him in the third round.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Strength: 4.0
Point Of Attack: 3.0
Quickness: 3.0
Pass Rush: 2.5
Motor: 3.0

Profile E-mail