PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:18 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

SAM ACHO
6-2/257
Texas Senior
40: 4.75 (estimated)

PROS:

Has a nice first step and flashes potential as a bull rusher. Uses his hands to deflect initial contact from tackle. Shows some burst to challenge edge, dip the shoulder, and turn the corner. Shows some ability to get leverage at the point of attack, get off the block, and make the stop. Shows enough athleticism that he doesn't look lost when dropping off into coverage in space. Has a nice motor and keeps working to the quarterback.

CONS:

Lacks size and can get engulfed at the point of attack, especially when he is doubled team. Can be redirected when matching up with size. Needs to get off blocks better. Doesn't break down well in space and can lose outside contain against the run.

OVERVIEW:

Acho was a two-year starter and billed as the heir apparent to Brian Orakpo and Sergio Kindle at Texas, but isn't quite the edge pass rusher that they were. He played more of a DE position in their hybrid 3-4 scheme, more in line with a 5-technique guy. He was a two-year starter, combining for 122 tackles, 31 tackles for loss, 19 sacks, 7 forced fumbles, and 9 recoveries in that span. Works on special teams on punt coverage.

NFL FORECAST:

Acho has the size of an edge rusher and potential 3-4 outside linebacker, but I think he fits better as a 4-3 defensive end. He is a player that reminds me a bit of Alex Brown, who was another undersized DE coming into the league that many teams wanted to move to OLB, as he was coming after Jevon Kearse. Acho I think will be similarly pegged coming after Kindle and Orakpo, but he's not the same type of player. I think he could play in a 3-4 scheme at outside linebacker since he's not a bad athlete, but I don't think he's a natural linebacker and would be just decent there. Keeping him in a 4-3, and bulking him up into a left end I think is going to get the most of his ability. I don't think he's a dynamic pass rusher, and will be a complementary guy that can get you 4-6 a year, but he'll mostly be effective due to his motor. I think he has starting potential as a defensive end, but he's proabbly going to be a player like a Alex Brown or Juqua Parker, who is a solid run defender and decent pass rusher, and will do his best work playing opposite another strong pass rusher. But at the least he should be able to add depth and help out a rotation as a decent combo player that can play the run as well as rush the quarterback.

ATL FORECAST:

Acho can fill a similar niche as Chauncey Davis down the road due to his potential to defend the run. He's not going to come in immediately and be a big contributor vs. the run, but like Davis if you give him a year or two to develop, he can start to make strides there where you trust him on first and second down. But he has the potential to be a better pass rusher than Davis, although he's not going to be a big time contributor. Long-term he would be a nice No. 3 defensive end for the Falcons, that probably won't really start to make major contributions until his third or fourth year.

VALUE:

The earliest Acho should go off the board is the latter part of the third because he does have some starting potential. But since he's more of a rotational role player, he's probably a better value in the fourth or fifth round.

SKILLS:
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Strength: 2.5
Quickness: 3.0
Pass Rush: 3.0
Point of Attack: 2.5
Recognition: 2.5
Motor: 3.5

Profile E-mail