PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:27 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

KARL KLUG
6-3/273
Iowa Senior
40: 4.90 (estimated)

PROS:

Has a decent first step that is able to shoot gaps and make plays in the backfield. Shows some ability to get leverage vs. the run and get some push upfield to press the line of scrimmage. Has a nice swim move, and uses his hands to fight off blocks. Plays with a high motor and keeps working to the quarterback. Plays disciplined and does a good job working on stunts.

CONS:

Has limited range in pursuit and lacks the burst and speed to be a factor when you get him in space. Doesn't have ideal closing speed when he does get penetration. Doesn't have great size and gets pushed around at times vs. the run, particularly when double teamed inside. Tends to rely on his quickness to be able to make impact plays vs. the run. Needs to work on getting off blocks and can improve his technique in that regard. Needs to develop and improve his power move.

OVERVIEW:

Continues Iowa's trend of high motor, but undersized defensive tackles after Matt Kroul and Mitch King, who he played behind as a sophomore. He usually lined up at right tackle beside Adrian Clayborn, and probably benefited quite a bit from the lack of double teams he had due to the talented group of defenders around him. He was productive in his two years as a starter, combining for 122 tackles, 26 tackles for loss, and 9.5 sacks.

NFL FORECAST:

Klug is a bit of a tweener as far as a pro prospect goes. His style of play is more akin to a one-gap tackle, but at his current size and frame, he is probably better cast as a two-gap end in a 3-4 scheme. But I think for either scheme, he's going to have to bulk up and get in the 285-295 pound range at the league. While I think he can play end in a 3-4 scheme, I'm not sure he'll ever be the sort of stack and shed defender that those schemes want. Instead, I think he's more of a one-gap penetrator that fits better as a 4-3 tackle. He lacks the ideal bulk to be an impact run defender or quickness to be an impact pass rusher, and likely will be a career backup regardless of the scheme. But I think teams will like his motor and he'll be able to stick around as journeyman reserve.

ATL FORECAST:

Klug's high motor gives him a chance in Falcons camp, but he's not going to win any roster spots because he needs at least a year on the practice squad to bulk up and get stronger. In his second summer, he has a chance to push for time and land a reserve spot. But long-term in Atlanta, he's probably just a stopgap No. 4 that eventually a more talented guy comes along and beats for a gig. The best you kind of hope for is a guy like Shawn Swayda.

VALUE:

The earliest Klug should go is the fifth round, although he'll probably be a better value in the sixth or seventh round since he's not a sure thing to stick.

SKILLS:
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Strength: 3.0
Quickness: 2.5
Pass Rush: 2.5
Point of Attack: 2.5
Recognition: 3.5
Motor: 4.0

Profile E-mail