PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:17 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

BROOKS REED
6-3/257
Arizona Senior
40: 4.75 (estimated)

PROS:

Has a nice first step to challenge the corner. Can dip the shoulder and turn the corner at times. Has a nice spin move that is effective at times. Flashes potential as a bull rusher off the edge as well. Shows ability to make stop in pursuit and has pretty good closing burst on the backside pursuit. Can play with his hand off the ground and has decent athleticism and range there. Breaks down and will wrap up at the point of attack. Plays with a high, non-stop motor.

CONS:

Undersized and gets pushed around quite a bit vs. the run. Gets too easily redirected as an edge rusher, and ridden wide of the pocket. WIll get blown up by the lead blocker on the edge, and doesn't do a great job keeping contain. Gets upfield too often and loses his gap responsibility vs. the run. Doesn't really get off blocks well and needs to improve his hand use there. Doesn't have the sudden, short-area burst to make his spin move really dangerous or ability to turn the corner consistently. Not a particularly strong tackler in space.

OVERVIEW:

A three-year starter that wasn't as productive as his teammate Ricky Elmore, but was the guy that popped much more on tape. As a senior, he had 47 tackles, 10 for loss, and 6.5 sacks. Had a strong sophomore year with 37-9.5-8.0. Not so much as a junior (23-5-2) although he missed 3 games due to an ankle injury and was limited in the second half of the season because of it. He converted from H-back before his freshman year. Reed is a natural pass rusher that is effective because of his strong motor.

NFL FORECAST:

You'll hear comparisons of Reed with Clay Matthews, mainly because of them being similar size and having long, blond hair. But Reed is more at home playing on the line than playing in space. Now, I do think he could convert into a rush linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, but he's not going to be a major factor in coverage and won't be that great vs. the run because he's not a great tackler. But if he were to play opposite a dynamic rusher like Matthews, his shortcomings would be less apparent. But he's more in line with backup and situational talent in that scheme. I think he might impact quicker as a situational rusher in a 4-3 scheme. I think he is more of a Kroy Biermann-type in that he his high motor and has enough edge quickness to make plays on the edge. He's not going to be a big sack guy, but he's a guy that can give you 3-5 sacks a year like Biermann. He needs to bulk up and improve his recognition vs. the run, but in a role similar to what Biermann had in 2009 and Brian Robison in Minnesota, where he plays mostly on passing downs, he can be a solid situational guy. I think he's a guy that can play in either scheme, but I like him a bit more in a 4-3 in terms of getting immediate contributions as a pass rusher. But down the road, his upside might be higher in a 3-4 because his lack of elite burst won't hold him back as much, and his size limitations won't be an issue. So probably the best scheme/team to maximize his skillset will be a team that uses a heavy dose of both systems in a hybrid scheme. Ultimately, I think he'll be a nice role player and potentially a decent complementary starter, but he's more of a depth guy.

ATL FORECAST:

Reed projects best to help the Falcons pass rush at defensive end. His motor will remind the team of Biermann, but it's not sure if the Falcons can afford to have two Biermanns on the roster. He could definitely push and challenge Sidbury, but doesn't seem to have any more upside than Biermann does, and like him would be best off the bench in a No. 3 or 4 role at defensive end. He could be a nice rotational player and situational rusher behind Abraham at right end, but that's about all he'll likely be.

VALUE:

For a team looking for a situational defensive end with some upside, he is a nice fifth round pick. HIs value is a bit higher for a 3-4 team because his upside as a starter is a bit higher down the road, which would make him a solid fourth round pick.

SKILLS:
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Strength: 2.0
Quickness: 3.5
Pass Rush: 3.0
Point of Attack: 2.0
Recognition: 2.5
Motor: 4.0

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:33 pm 

I watched the Iowa-Arizona game from September, where Reed was going against Iowa LT Riley Reiff, who is one of the better OTs going into the 2012 draft class.

He showed good speed, able to beat Reiff a couple of times with his speed rush and spin move. I saw the same ability to jolt the tackle back off the snap to make me think with development, he could develop a nice bull rush.

The issue he had as a pass rusher was the fact that he tends to be a bit too straight-line and gets redirected too easily when a tackle gets their hands on him. I think if he can bulk up some more, he can improve in that latter area, but his frame isn't going to realistically support more than 10 or so more pounds. So he'll always be a bit limited by his ability to match up against size and power.

He fits best as a 3-4 outside linebacker where his size won't be an issue, and his burst off the corner can make him an impact rusher in that scheme.

I think in a 4-3, he has the potential with development to be a good complementary pass rusher in the same vein as Kroy Biermann and give you 4-6 sacks a year. But in the 3-4, his upside is higher because of his flaws won't be as apparent, and I think in that scheme he's potentially an 8-10 sack guy. The issue with him in the 3-4 will be whether or not he can adjust to playing in space and dropping into coverage as much as he would.

In the end I think he is worth a solid 2nd round pick for a 3-4 team. For a 4-3 team, they are probably better off waiting until the 3rd round.

Profile E-mail