PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:20 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

RYAN BARTHOLOMEW
6-1/300
Syracuse Senior
40: 4.95 (estimated)

PROS:

Long-armed center that can be capable in a short area, able to deliver punch and wall off defender at the point of attack as a run blocker. Is able to get position and shows decent pop there. Shows some potential as a drive blocker and is an effective run blocker on the move. Gets out to the second level and hits his assignments to take out the linebackers.

CONS:

Needs to improve his hand placement both as a run blocker and in pass protection. Struggles at times to lock onto defenders and will whiff on his punch. Can get overextended in pass protection and has trouble matching up against quicker interior defenders. Doesn't have the strength or power to really get consistent push as a run blocker. Will give ground in pass protection. At times needs to take better angles and will miss his assignments when zone blocking.

OVERVIEW:

Bartholomew is a solid position blocker that looks the part, but needs some polish. His hand placement and lack of great size can limit him at the next level. But he has the tools to develop into a starter down the road. He was a three year starter, that as a sophomore and junior, he played primarily at left guard. He started 3 games as a junior at center as an injury fill in and then moved permanently to that role as a senior where he started every game this past year. Syracuse used a lot of man blocking, but at times seemed to struggle handling the blitz, which makes me question just how good Bartholomew will be making line calls when he gets to the pros.

NFL FORECAST:

Bartholomew doesn't have super quick hands, but they are quick enough that if he can improve his technique and master his placement there, he should be an effective starter. But he's not super big, and I think will probably work best in a zone blocking scheme at the next level. He's a nice developmental center that I think has the potential to start, but if he does I don't see him being a real fixture at the position. I think he can be a very good backup and in time can develop into an average to above average center. But I'm not sure he'll be good enough in pass protection or as a run blocker that a team will be married to him for more than a few seasons. He has potential to develop

ATL FORECAST:

Bartholomew could potentially push Hawley for the gig as the heir apparent to McClure, but I wouldn't think he's a good bet to win that battle. But if McClure were to hang it up this off-season, he could be a nice insurance policy in case Hawley doesn't hit the ground running in his first year or two as a starter. But more than likely he would be a career backup that doesn't offer the great versatility to pay multiple positions that the Falcons prefer.

VALUE:

A team looking for a reserve center that they can develop for a few years might snag him in the sixth or seventh round.

SKILLS:
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Strength: 2.5
Pass Blocking: 3.0
Run Blocking: 3.0
Footwork: 3.0
Technique: 2.5
Mobility: 3.5
Mean Streak: 2.5

Profile E-mail