PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:07 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

A.J. GREEN
6-4/211
Georgia Junior
40: 4.40 (estimated)

PROS:

Excellent hands that does a very good job snatching the ball out of the air. Does a good job attacking the ball. Can make highlight-reel catches with one hand. Has very good body control and athleticism, getting vertical to make the catch in the air or laying out to make the diving catch. Is able to make the catch in traffic. Good speed and ability to run past corners on the vertical routes. Tracks the deep ball well. Shows good balance as a runner after the catch. Can be dangerous on slants because of his burst and acceleration. Difficult to jam because of his size and gets a good release off the line. Capable route-runner with nice footwork. Quick and shifty as a punt returner. Has good strength despite thin frame. Will throw out a vicious stiff arm at times.

CONS:

Has some lapses in concentration, not always looking the ball in and securing it before trying to make the move upfield after the catch. Has a tendency to dance a bit too much after the catch as well as on punts, spending too much time going east and west. Not as effective a blocker for a player his size and will miss some assignments. Doesn't always use his size to his advantage to shield defender on comebacks. Gives inconsistent effort at times and seems to pout when he's not getting the ball enough.

OVERVIEW:

Green put up very similar production all three years with 3 different quarterbacks, which progressively got worse each year going from Matt Stafford to Joe Cox to Aaron Murray. He had his best year as a junior, catching 57 passes for 848 yards (14.9 avg) and 9 touchdowns, despite being suspended for 4 games at the beginning of the year by the NCAA for selling a jersey to an agent. He missed 3 games late as a sophomore due to a separated shoulder, and also had a bruised lung. He was slowed a bit by a groin injury as a freshman. He combined for 109 catches for 1771 yards (16.2 avg) and 14 touchdowns in those two previous years. Also rushed 7 times for 105 yards (15.0 avg) and returned 2 punts for 12.5 yard average during his career.

NFL FORECAST:

Green's polish, hands, and body control are second to none. And in comparison to a player like Julio Jones, there weren't instances where he really played down to his competition. He was pretty consistent week to week in terms of his production. Durability is a concern because he has a slight frame. I don't know what he played at, but it seemed like it was in the 200-205 range, so he's a bit bigger, but his frame can easily support 220-225 pounds. Getting at least up to an NFL playing weight of 215 works best for him. The comparison I would make with Green is Randy Moss. They have very similar speed, size, athleticism, hands, and ball skills. And like Moss, I think Green will shine more on the vertical routes than the underneath stuff. He's still very good on the underneath stuff, but he's best going down the field where his size and athleticism is a major asset to an offense. Like Moss, he's a guy that you can just chuck it up, and he'll usually find a way to come down with it. There is no doubt in my mind that he's going to be a No. 1 receiver and a guy that is a matchup nightmare for most defenses. But I do think like Moss, there are times when you question his effort and whether he's fully engaged. He's a finesse receiver that when he's not getting his touches, his effort dips. But I don't think it's to the degree of Moss. And nonetheless, Moss has been one of the most dominant receivers in the league despite that, and I suspect similar things for Green going forward. I would say he's athletically dominant, rather than physically dominant.

ATL FORECAST:

Green would certainly add a very dynamic vertical element to the Falcons offense. While the deep ball isn't a major strength of Ryan's game, Green is so good at going up to get the ball that Ryan doesn't really have to be that accurate to be effective with a guy like Green on the receiving end. He can work in the slot immediately in Atlanta and would be a very good asset for the Falcons in their passing offense, adding a vertical element. He's a good complement to Roddy, who will continue to work the short field, while Green stretches it vertically. He would surpass Jenkins in a short time and fits well into that niche vacated by him. He would give the Falcons a dynamic pair of receivers impossible for any opposing defense to cover.

VALUE:

Green is one of the best players in this draft, well worth a Top 5 pick.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Speed: 4.0
Hands: 5.0
After Catch: 4.0
Body Control: 5.0
Range: 4.0

Profile E-mail