PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

LEONARD HANKERSON
6-2/205
Miami (FL) Senior
40: 4.50 (estimated)

PROS:

Built solidly and has good size. Uses that size well at times showing good length to make the grab over the middle. Does a nice job in traffic and can use that size to get position over the middle. Does a good job working the slot and gets a good release down the seam. Is hard to jam at the line. Has nice speed and shows some smooth burst as a runner at times. Shows some quickness and moves after the catch. Does a nice job tracking the deep ball. Has nice hands and can adjust to the throw, able to snatch the ball out of the air. Can make the jump ball and lay out for the throw over the middle.

CONS:

Doesn't always catch the ball with his hands and can be inconsistent when he needs to catch the ball away from his body and secure it. Needs to do a better job challenging the deep ball in the air.Needs to polish up his route-running and doesn't always separate easily. Lacks an explosive first step after the catch, so he won't be a major factor there. Can be slow off the line trying to build up speed at times.

OVERVIEW:

Hankerson has the size, hands, and speed that reminds you a lot of a player like Marques Colston, particularly with his ability to play in the slot and use that to his advantage down the seam. He needs some more polish, but he has the tools to be a upper-level NFL wideout eventually. He led the Hurricanes in receiving the past two years, with his best year coming as a senior despite all the issues they had at quarterback. He finished the year with 72 catches for 1156 yards (16.1 avg) and 13 touchdowns. His junior year, he was 45-801-17.8-6. His first two years he was a disappointment, combining for 4 starts, 15 games, and 17 catches for 203 yards (11.9 avg) and 3 scores. He worked with Mark Duper the summer before his junior year, and indicates it was instrumental for the improvement he's shown since then.

NFL FORECAST:

I think Hankerson has the potential to be a solid No. 2 receiver at the next level. I just don't see the skills quite that make me think he can be a go-to threat for an NFL offense, but you never know, he could be a guy like Colston. Although I don't expect him to have as much immediate success as Colston had. I like the fact that his work with Duper has improved his game, and he could come into the league with a bit more polish than your typical college receivers, but I didn't always see it reflected on tape. But he's a guy that I think can hit the ground running as a No. 3 guy, and with a few years under his belt start to emerge as a good complementary receiver. I think his trajectory in the pros will probably be closer to Robert Meachem or James Jones. And again, I don't think he'll be the go-to weapon in an offense, but I think he'll be a guy that you can rely upon to get 50-60 receptions in a year and work well in an offense that likes to spread out the defense. He'll find a nice home in the slot in 3-wide sets, but also have the size and and ability to work on the outside as well. At the least, he'll be a solid No. 3 guy. There's nothing outstanding about him, but he can be a good, solid player and if he shows the attention to detail, in terms of his work ethic, route-running, and film study, he can be one of the better No. 2s in the league.

ATL FORECAST:

Hankerson could fit really well as a third option in the offense. His size in the slot and ability to work the vertical seam would be a boost for this offense. He has the size and potential that eventually after a year or two he can move outside and challenge and replace Jenkins as the starter. I'm not sure how much better a starter he'll be than Jenkins, which a lot of that will depend on his work ethic and attention to detail. But I don't expect him to be any sort of a downgrade in that regards, and he should be a bit more reliable as a complement to WHite in the future. But at the least he would find a nice home as a tall third option here in Atlanta and be a guy that can probably catch 20-30 passes as a rookie, and then expand that to the 40-60 catch range with more playing time and experience.

VALUE:

Hankerson is a nice No. 2 candidate that can get looks in the latter part of the second or early part of the third.

SKILLS:
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Speed: 3.0
Hands: 3.0
After Catch: 2.5
Body Control: 3.5
Range: 3.0

Profile E-mail