PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:02 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

PAT DEVLIN
6-3/226
Delaware Senior
40: 4.85 (estimated)

PROS:

Has a quick release with nice zip. Arm is strong enough to fit it in tight windows and the ball comes out with a good, tight spiral. Shows some ability on the intermediate and vertical throws, able to throw down the seam. Does a good job going to his second progressions, and is allowed to scan the entire field in his offense. Has some anticipation and flashes good touch and accuracy at times. Can throw guys open. Stands tough in the pocket and makes generally good decisions with the ball. Has some ability to slide and step up in the pocket.

CONS:

Doesn't wow you with his arm strength, and it doesn't shine unless he has the time to step into his throws. Doesn't have pinpoint accuracy. Can be late or behind on throws over the middle. Doesn't always set his feet and deliver, and can struggle to reset his feet at times when he's on the move. Holds onto the ball too long and decision making and ability dips when he's forced to move and evade pressure. Doesn't really have the athleticism to extend the play, and is not a natural runner with the ball in his hands. Doesn't always do a good job moving within the pocket and anticipating pressure. Works almost exclusively out of the shotgun. He'll stare down receivers and doesn't look off guys in zone.

OVERVIEW:

Like Joe Flacco before him, Devlin is a former transfer that shined at Delaware. Devlin spent two years at Penn State, and when he lost the starting competition to Daryll Clark in 2008, he opted to transfer. In his two years at Penn State, he combined for 459 passing yards, completing 25 of 48 passes (52.1%) and 4 touchdowns and no interceptions. His first season at Delaware, he completed 220 of 344 passes (64.0%) for 2664 yards, 16 TDs, and 9 INTs, along with 4 rushing TDs, sporting a 6-5 record as a starter. This past year, he led the Blue Hens to an 11-3 mark and the FCS national championship game. He completed 261 of 384 passes (68.0%) for 3032 yards, 22 TDs, 3 INTs, and also rushed for 1 more score. Missed one start this year because he broke his non-throwing wrist. When given time, Devlin is a precise and efficient QB that works well on the short, quick passing game.

NFL FORECAST:

Devlin isn't going to be a franchise QB, but he flashes just enough tools to think that with time and development, he can be a very good starter. Unlike most college QBs, he has experience scanning the entire field which should give him a leg up when it comes to running an NFL offense. The issue is that the clock in his head is going to have to be a lot shorter dealing with an NFL pass rush than he is used to at Delaware. When teams were able to get pressure on him in the playoffs, his efficiency dipped. But he has the arm strength to make all of the throws, and while he doesn't have a gun, with his quick release, you have to like the fact that it can get better going forward. I'm not sure of his intangibles, and because of it, I think he's best off growing into a role rather than being asked to be the guy from the get go. Let him hold a clipboard for a few years, and i do think he can be a good starting NFL quarterback if he can get comfortable in a system. I don't think he'll be an elite QB even with time on the bench, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if five or six years from now we're looking back at this draft class and discover he was the best of the bunch and perhaps even the only one that is starting and having success in this league because of that initial patience. Ultimately, I think I would compare him to Matt Cassel. Like with Cassel, it was obvious from an early point in his career that he was going to be a starting QB, and with time (3+ years) to get comfortable in a system, he proved he can run that system efficiently like a Top 15 QB. I think Devlin is destined to be a starter in this league, and a good one. But how good will depend on the system he's in and whether or not teams are patient with him.

ATL FORECAST:

Devlin has the tools to fit well in Atlanta because like Ryan he's not super-armed or super-athletic. And he is good enoguh that he could beat Wilson in a camp battle straight up if the Falcons like his intangibles. BUt with Wilson having the better arm and more experience, Devlin would likely be a practice squad candidate, but by his third season should be holding down the No. 2 job behind Ryan. And eventually could be traded for picks by the next season.

VALUE:

For a team that is going to be patient with him and give him time to develop, I wouldn't have a problem if they took him in the late part of the second round. But his ability is probably more in line with third round talent because he's probably not going to make a huge impact early on and doesn't seem to have those top-level intangibles to think his upside is huge down the road.

SKILLS:
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Arm Strength: 3.5
Accuracy: 3.5
Mobility: 2.0
Decision Making: 3.5
Mechanics: 3.0
Pocket Awareness: 2.5
Intangibles: 3.0

Profile E-mail