All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Courtney Greene, SS, Rutgers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:38 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Courtney Greene
6-0/215 Rutgers
4.52 Senior

Pros: Does a nice job wrapping defender and shows pop as a tackler. Good coming up and defending run and does a nice job working in the box. Is active and aggressive in run support. Shows good speed and closing burst on the ball. Has nice ball skills and can break up the pass. Shows potential as a blitzer as well.

Cons: Gets caught out of position at times in coverage and can be a step late when he's working in deep coverage. Lowers his head when he tackles and misses tackles because of it. Also will tackle too high at times.

Overview: Greene is a nice safety prospect that is active and capable in run support. Productive four year starter at free safety but could play both safety spots in the pros.

NFL Forecast: I really don't like the fact that he ducks his head when he tackles. That displays poor fundamentals and is dangerous to himself and the guys across the field. But other than that, there aren't really any major flaws in his game. He'll never be a great cover safety, but should be adequate enough particularly when he's playing the short zone or coverage tight ends. He's a good run stopper despite issues with fundamentals, and you never know, maybe his next coach could correct that. I think Greene at the very least will be a solid backup strong safety, but should be a capable starter. I don't think he'll be a great starter, but he'll be average to above average.

ATL Forecast: Greene has the potential to replace Milloy in the Falcons secondary at strong safety. He doesn't have the long-term upside to really be special, but would be a capable starter down the road. I don't think he'd start right away, as he still needs some refinement, but could definitely be in the mix by the time his second or third year rolls around. I'm not sure if he's any better a prospect than DeCoud, but is a nice fallback option in case DeCoud doesn't stick.

Value: Greene is a nice middle round pick that merits a fourth round selection.

Profile E-mail