All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lendy Holmes, FS, Oklahoma
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:37 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Lendy Holmes
6-0/206 Oklahoma
4.74 Senior

Pros: Is active in run support with nice range and comfortable coming up.

Cons: Misses a lot of tackles in the open field and is undersized there. Lacks the burst to make the stops. Has poor hips and speed to match up in coverage and is caught out of position.

Overview: He was by far the weakest link in Oklahoma's defense this past year, and I'd bet that he screwed up in some way on the vast majority of the big plays against that defense. Either by missing a tackle or being out of position in coverage. Started career at wide receiver, before moving to cornerback as a sophomore and then finally safety as a junior. Struggles could be explained by lack of experience.

NFL Forecast: I'd like to believe that Holmes issues were because he was surrounded by top talent and that he's actually decent in a relative sense. But I don't believe that. He could stick on special teams, but that's it. At this point in his career, he's not going to get much faster, or explosive, and even if he gets stronger, he'll still be a subpar tackler by comparison. It wouldn't surprise me if he became an outstanding special teams player. You've got like his heart and toughness, but he can't stick in the NFL based off his defensive potential.

ATL Forecast: If he was a monster on special teams, he might make the Falcons roster as a reserve free safety. But it's likely that the team can find someone else fairly competent on special teams that has much more upside defensively to just be a backup.

Value: He's a marginal prospect that you might bring to camp to see if he can excel on special teams, but otherwise probably shouldn't even sign.

Profile E-mail