All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Londen Fryar, CB, Western Michigan
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:26 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Londen Fryar
5-11/195 Western Michigan
4.59 Senior

Pros: Has nice athleticism, quickness, and burst. Has quick hips. Has good ball skills and will break up the pass. Has some pop in run support as a tackler.

Cons: Lacks ideal awareness in zone coverage. Can be prone to penalties and needs to play with more discipline. Doesn't take great angles in run support and tackles too high.

Overview: Fryar has potential as a corner, which is why some thought he was among the top corners entering this year's draft this past summer. He is the son of Irving Fryar, once great Patriots receiver. Missed some time with a toe injury, but stock drop probably had more to do with only having one pick this past year. Saw him in a game against Rice where he was matched up against Jarret Dillard one on one, and handled himself very well.

NFL Forecast: Fryar is going to need to be coached up some more at the next level. If you can get him to play more disciplined, then he has the potential to be a starter down the road. I think he'll probably need to be brought on relatively slowly. You hope he gets some tips from his dad as well. But he should be able to contribute early as a nickel corner, and then in a couple of seasons should be able to challenge as a starter. Another player that I feel will probably be a backup over the course of his rookie contract, but can land a starting gig in free agency after four years. The best scheme for him will be a man coverage scheme, but the problem is he lacks ideal speed so he'll need some help over the top as well, which is not what you want in man coverage.

ATL Forecast: Fryar has upside and might work in Atlanta, but he is not as good in zone coverage as you'd want for the scheme. He's got a lot of upside for man coverage, but since the Falcons like to mix a lot of zone in there, that would make him a bit of a project. He could contribute on the bench for a few years, but I'm not sure he would emerge as a starter in the first few years of his career.

Value: Fryar is a fourth round pick that if a team has a man-heavy scheme, might think about taking him in the late third. But that would probably be a bit of a reach. I'd take him in the fourth or fifth round.

Profile E-mail