All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cary Harris, CB/S, Southern California
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:25 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Cary Harris
5-11/187 USC
4.61 Senior

Pros: Physical player in run support, willing to deliver hit and throw his body around there. Has good speed (much faster than he times). Does a good job keeping things in front of him. Shows decent hips and burst. Plays better in off coverage than press, but shows some potential in the latter.

Cons: Lacks ideal hips. Has some trouble playing the deep ball despite his speed. Will give up too much cushion at times.

Overview: Basically plays like a safety in a corner's body. Usually drew task of covering the top wideout at USC. He was a starter for two and a half years. But not really a playmaker, only having 5 career interceptions. He's more of a steady guy that knows his role and plays his role on the talented USC defense.

NFL Forecast: I don't see Harris being a star. I think he'll have trouble starting at the next level. He's really just a solid candidate to play the nickel, particularly in a zone scheme. Would work well in a Cover-2 scheme. If he was 10-15 pounds bigger, I'd probably move him to safety. He benefited from playing at USC, as there were several players that were able to cover for his mistakes. Probably not going to be the case at the next level. Don't see him as an effective long-term starter, but should be a solid backup.

ATL Forecast: Harris would work well in the nickel here in Atlanta. But probably wouldn't be expected to start here since he's not a better option than Houston or Jackson. Might also get some work as a dime safety as well since he's a similar player and more physical version of Von Hutchins. But like Hutchins, would be limited as a starter.

Value: I think taking him before the fourth round would be a major reach. I'd probably wait until the fifth or sixth round to draft him.

Profile E-mail