All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lydell Sargeant, CB, Penn State
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:20 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Lydell Sargeant
5-9/187 Penn State
4.48 Senior

Pros: Has nice speed, burst, and decent hips. Does a good job keeping things in front of him. Has quick burst to ballcarrier and willing in run support. Physical for his size.

Cons: Undersized guy that doesn't have ideal hips. Is a drag-down tackler and relies on cutting guys legs mostly to make stops in run support. Gives up too much cushion.

Overview: He's a similar player to another former Nittany Lion in David Macklin, but not as strong and physical as Macklin was. Most productive as a senior with 4 picks and 13 passes defended. Got into a fight in April 2007, but the charges for disorderly conduct, trespassing, and harassment were dropped..

NFL Forecast: Probably not a threat to be a starter, but should make a nice nickel corner at the next level. I like his toughness and physicality which I think will make up for his lack of size. He doesn't have great hips, but good enough hips that he should be able to match up well with slot receivers. That area is probably what will make or break him. He'll be asked to line up against the quicker slot guys, and I think he can have an impact there. Could work in a zone scheme as well, where he could potentially be an effective starter down the road, much like Macklin was in Indianapolis under Tony Dungy. But really lacks the upside and would be somewhat a liability if asked to start for an extended period of time.

ATL Forecast: Sargeant is one of those players that despite humble beginnings, goes onto have a long NFL career. He could stick in Atlanta, particularly if he impacted early on special teams. He could push for the nickel job right away, although it's doubtful he would land it. Probably would spend a year or two working on special teams for the Falcons, and eventually would become a capable third corner three or four years down the road. Won't ever be a starter in Atlanta, but I could see him playing seven or eight years here and be a Kevin Mathis-like reserve player.

Value: Sargeant lacks the ideal upside of a starter, but should be able to help a team enough on the bench to merit a fifth round pick.

Profile E-mail