All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Christopher Owens, CB, San Jose State
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:16 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Christopher Owens
5-10/181 San Jose State
4.51 Senior

Pros: Has good awareness and intelligence and does a good job keeping things in front of him. Has nice ball skills, disrupting pass and breaking quickly on the ball. Has decent hips and quickness. Is tough and willing in run support, as he's not afraid to lower shoulder and pop a guy.

Cons: Is undersized and a weak tackler. Doesn't have ideal hips or burst to match up in man coverage.

Overview: Owens is a three-year starter that got a lot of work when Dwight Lowery was lined up opposite him, and the same this past year with Francies. Had a career high 6 picks as a junior, but slipped to only 1 as a senior. Has 13 career picks and 20 passes defended.

NFL Forecast: He reminds me of a less physical version of Cortland Finnegan. Doesn't have the great measurables, but plays hard and smart. He'll be a player that I think can stick in the league as a starter because of that skill set, but at the least should make a solid zone corner. Works best in zone coverage, and will have trouble matching up in man coverage due to his lack of ideal size and burst. He's the same type of player that Dwight Lowery was, and like Lowery I think can make an immediate impact in the league in nickel situations, but will be a bit overmatched as a starter. But in time, as he develops, then he should be able to offset his flaws and become capable starting zone corner.

ATL Forecast: Owens is a similar player to Chevis Jackson, and while he is not as big or strong as Jackson, he too could come to Atlanta and immediately push for playing time in the nickel. Owens would likely serve as a backup for two or so years before getting a realistic shot at starting, but could earn that job the minute he gets the opportunity. Will never be a star in Atlanta as a starter, but will be an average to above average starter. At the least, he'll be a guy that helps solidify the nickel spot for years to come.

Value: Owens is a solid early Day 2 pick for someone that I would take in the third or fourth round.

Profile E-mail