All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anthony Felder, ILB, California
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:40 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Anthony Felder
6-2/235 California
4.76 Senior

Pros: Has good speed and quickness to make plays in pursuit. Is able in zone coverage and shows nice athleticism in space. Does a decent job at the point of attack.

Cons: Is just an average tackler that likes closing burst to consistently make the play. Lacks a killer instinct and is just an average run defender. Gets caught out of position too often vs. the inside run. Gets stuck in the trash and has trouble shedding blockers.

Overview: He is a good athlete, but isn't a physical defender with much upside. Plays beside Williams in Cal's hybrid 3-4 scheme.

NFL Forecast: I think he could make a nice nickel linebacker because his speed and quickness gives him some upside in coverage. I think he'll be a better fit in the 4-3 than in the 3-4. He's not the ideal candidate for a MIKE guy, but in a Tampa-2 scheme he could work there. I'd rather try him as a WILL in the 4-3 and try to see if I can develop his ability in coverage. Down the road he could be an average starter, but more than likely projects to be a backup at the next level. If he can perform on special teams, he stands a good shot at sticking.

ATL Forecast: If he can perform on special teams, he could add nice depth at outside linebacker for the Falcons. Might get some work inside, but not the ideal candidate to replace Lofton if he ever got hurt. He doesn't really have the potential to develop into a starter in Atlanta, and would basically just add depth. Probably would get very few snaps on defense over the course of his Falcon career.

Value: Felder can add depth for some 4-3 team, which makes him a worthwhile pick late in the draft. But the seventh round is probably where he should go.

Profile E-mail