All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mortt Ivy, OLB, West Virginia
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:38 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Mortt Ivy
6-2/239 West Virginia
4.78 Senior

Pros: Has good speed and works well in pursuit and space. Does a nice job at the point of attack, able to shed blockers. Does a nice job attacking the line of scrimmage. Is good tackler with some pop.

Cons: Gets caught up in traffic too much. Needs to improve his instincts and awareness. Despite speed and quickness, has much room to improvement in man coverage.

Overview: Started at SAM as a senior after playing the WILL as a
junior. A solid player that offers versatility and potential.

NFL Forecast: I think he can play either outside spot at the next level in the 4-3. He works well vs. the run and has potential to develop in coverage. I think he can play in a variety of schemes at either outside spot, which gives him much needed versatility. I think his impact could be quicker as a strongside linebacker than a weakside guy because he still needs to polish up his skills in coverage. But he should be able to match up with TEs much more easily than RBs. He doesn't have huge upside and won't be a true impact player. But he should be a nice, productive start that can average 80 or so tackles as a starter. He'll probably for a year or two before he's ready to challenge for a starting spot. But if he was forced to play as a rookie, I think he would be serviceable.

ATL Forecast: Ivy would serve as a nice developmental prospect behind Peterson to potentially replace him in two or three years. But he'd also be a nice insurance policy to have in case Stephen Nicholas isn't as good a starter as the team hopes. He won't be considered a playmaker, but if he plays beside two solid linebackers, he'll be capable picking up the remainder of the slack. But the truth he and Nicholas have similar level of upside and the defense would be better with only one of them starting rather than both. So the truth is that one of the two is probably going to emerge as the starter, with the other being the stopgap until the team finds a better playmaker. But like Nicholas, Ivy can play either outside spot for the Falcons, making him a valuable and versatile backup.

Value: He's a solid middle round pick that should go off the board some time in the fourth round.

Profile E-mail