All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worrell Williams, ILB, California
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:32 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Worrell Williams
5-11/241 California
4.75 Senior

Pros: He's a solid hitter with good pop and closing burst to the ball. He flows well to the ball and can make plays in pursuit. He does a pretty good job weaving through traffic and stuffing the inside run. Has the athleticism, speed, and quickness to work in space and gets good drops in zone coverage. Does a nice job taking on the fullback and other blockers.

Cons: Doesn't have great instincts and can get caught out of position at times. At times prefers to run around blocks at the point of attack and can get engulfed at times. Lacks awareness when working in zone and open space. Will miss some stops in the open field because he doesn't consistently break down well at the point of attack.

Overview: Williams is a capable MLB in Cal's hybrid 3-4 scheme. He's a good athlete, but needs to be more consistent especially at the point of attack. He is the younger brother of current Bronco linebacker D.J. Williams.

NFL Forecast: Williams is a player that I think is going to take some time to develop. Sit him for two or so years and I think you can get a nice starter down the road. He'll work best in the 3-4 scheme, and I think he can play both MIKE and TED, but I'd rather have him play the TED since he's not a great playmaker. He could also work in the 4-3 as a middle linebacker, but doesn't have as much upside there. If he can contribute early on special teams, he'll make a good developmental inside linebacker for some 3-4 team.

ATL Forecast: Williams would probably just be a backup here in Atlanta. He has the potential to be an upgrade over Gilbert long-term, but I'm not completely confident he would beat him out initially to become Lofton's backup. His lack of upside doesn't make him a great fit in Atlanta. He could potentially play some at weakside linebacker, but I still think he'd be limited as a starter. More of a guy that could be decent stopgap for a year or so, but you'd eventually try to find someone much better.

Value: Williams is a nice middle round pick that I'd target in the fifth round or so.

Profile E-mail