All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aaron Maybin, OLB, Penn State
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:46 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Aaron Maybin
6-4/250 Penn State
4.64 Sophomore

Pros: Has a very good first step and the speed to turn the corner on the edge. Comfortable working in space and has the closing burst to make plays in pursuit. Has a good motor and shows OK recognition. Does a nice job dropping back into short zones on zone blitzes.

Cons: Takes himself out of the play by getting upfield too quickly. Doesn't always display killer instinct when he's turning the corner. Needs to get stronger as tackler. Overly relies on edge speed and lacks pass rush moves. Gets engulfed at the point of attack and pushed back by blockers.

Overview: Maybin is an undersized defensive end that has good edge speed. But he was a raw one-dimensional edge rusher. But he's much better fit as an outside linebacker in the NFL. He's bulked up considerably since the end of the season as he weighed around 225 pounds in January.

NFL Forecast: Maybin is going to take some time to develop as an outside linebacker in the 3-4, but he has a lot of upside there. He is more comfortable working in space than most undersized ends coming out of school. And working him in coverage won't be as huge a step it is for others. He has the frame to get bigger, but he's already put on 25 pounds in a short period, and any more weight would probably be hard for him to adjust to. So his length to impact as a starting caliber defensive end is longer than it is as linebacker. The key for Maybin is understanding playing the run, but I think he should be fine at that position. He has the potential to play down on the line as a situational rusher for 3-4 teams when they use their hybrid sets. If he was picked up by a 4-3 team, he could be a nice situational pass rusher for the intermediate future. But he needs to get stronger and add more pass rush moves to impact there, and I think is probably three or four years from being a trusted starter as an end. I think as an OLB in the 3-4, he could be a competent starter within two years. He'll mainly be a pass rusher early on, but I think he can develop into time into a more complete player. I see him as a similar player as Joey Porter down the road.

ATL Forecast: Maybin would be able to help out as a pass rusher for the Falcons, but he doesn't have quite the upside at end as other undersized ends in the draft. He could possibly play linebacker in the 4-3, but he'd probably be better off slimming back down some. And he would be too much of a project there and probably wouldn't do much until three or so years down the road. In the meantime, he can help as a situational rusher, but I'm not sure he is going to be a starter as end. Basically, Maybin is not a great fit in Atlanta and more than likely he'd be a disappointment because he's not a great fit.

Value: For a 3-4 team looking for an edge rusher, he is worth a late first round pick. However, I'd rather wait and try to get him early in the second round. For a 4-3 team, they are probably better waiting until Day 2 to draft Maybin.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 3.5
TACKLING: 3.0
COVERAGE: 2.0
POINT OF ATTACK: 3.0
INSTINCTS: 2.5
PASS RUSH: 4.0

Profile E-mail