All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spencer Adkins, OLB, Miami FL
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:10 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Spencer Adkins
5-11/230 Miami FL
4.48 Senior

Pros: Has good sideline speed and has the range to make plays sideline to sideline. Does a very good job making plays in pursuit. Has good athleticism and quickness and able to operate in space. Is a capable tackler that does a nice wrapping up ball-carrier.

Cons: Lacks pop as a tackler. Despite quickness and athleticism, needs to improve in coverage. Doesn't do well at the point of attack, and struggles to take on blockers.

Overview: He was never a full-time starter at Miami, which is either a reflection of the depth that the Hurricanes had at linebacker, or a reflection that he was nothing special. I think it's a bit of both. He played primarily on the weakside at Miami, but has some experience playing strongside linebacker as well. Projects best however at weakside. He was very productive however in his limited minutes, this past season only having 20 tackles, but 6 of which were for loss, and also had 4 sacks.

NFL Forecast: Adkins is probably destined to be a special teams guy. I think he'll make a effective backup player at the next level, but just doesn't have all the tools you want for a starter despite his athletic ability. He reminds me a bit of a lesser version of Tavares Gooden, who had loads of speed, but was low on the instinctual side of playing linebacker position. If Adkins can impact early on special teams, he'll have the chance to stick on a roster and over time could eventually land a starting job. But more than likely, if he is ever a starter in the NFL, it'll probably because the guy ahead of him unexpectedly got hurt. Draft him for depth on the weakside, but any expectations higher than that and you might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

ATL Forecast: Adkins could enhance depth on the Falcons roster, but probably won't be any better an option than Robert James currently is. He'd be a player that I'd be willing to invite to camp for the Falcons, but probably wouldn't use a draft choice on.

Value: Adkins is worth a late round pick for a 4-3 team looking for depth at weakside linebacker. However, unless a team has a really glaring need at that position and plays a scheme that really likes speed, then he should probably go undrafted. At best, I might take him at the tail end of the seventh round.

Profile E-mail