Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Nader Abdallah, DT, Ohio State

Postby Pudge » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Nader Abdallah
6-4/292 Ohio State
5.09 Senior

Pros: Has good size, strength, and power to get leverage vs. the run. Has a good motor and willing to continue plays downfield. Has some quickness and burst to push the pocket. Flashes potential as a bull rusher. Does a nice job getting push up front, to hold the point of attack, and difficult to run directly at. When he doesn't get initial pressure on the QB, does a good job batting down passes. Does a nice job taking on and fighting through double teams.

Cons: Isn't going to offer much as far pass rush goes. Doesn't have a repertoire of moves or the initial first step to beat the blocker. Needs to do a better job getting off blocks.

Overview: Abdallah is a solid nose tackle at Ohio State. He's a high effort player that plays mostly the nose tackle spot in the 4-3. He was only a starter for a year and a half, so there is limited production.

NFL Forecast: Abdallah at the very least should be a solid rotation player. I think if he can get bigger and stronger, he'd be a very effective two-down player in a 4-3 scheme. He's got the motor and effort to be able to play on passing downs, but at best he'd be a guy that racks up maybe 1 or 2 sacks per year, and they will almost all be coverage sacks. He'll boost a rotation.  Although he's big enough to stuff the run right now, I think he'd be even better if he could bulk up to around 310 or so pounds. I'd compare him with recent Ohio State tackles Tim Anderson and Ryan Pickett. And I think his NFL career will probably fall somewhere between those players. Anderson was a below average starter that was above average depth. Pickett is an above average starter. Abdallah probably won't be a star, but he should more than serviceable in a couple of years for a 4-3 team as a starter. I also think that if he added more size he'd be a decent option as a nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme. Although he'll probably need to be a guy that splits snaps with another player, much like Aubrayo Franklin or Gabe Watson.

ATL Forecast: I think Abdallah would fit in nicely in Atlanta, starting out as a rotational player but inside two or three seasons could be starting for the Falcons. He'd be a two-down player that would need to be pulled on passing downs. But if he gets bigger and stronger, I think he'd definitely boost the rotation and help the Falcons as a run stuffer. He'd be a good pick for the Falcons under the pretense of helping the rotation for a few years, and then starting by his third or fourth season.

Value: Abdallah is a solid middle round value for a 4-3 team that is looking for a guy to bolster their rotation, and potentially start down the road. fifth round is probably ideal, but he wouldn't be too much of a reach late in the fourth.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Return to “Defensive Tackles”